Dynadot

MAJOR Change in Sedo's Privacy Policy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

UPDATE: THIS IS NOT A SPOOF EMAIL!

Take note, fellow Namepro'ers.

I received the following email from Sedo:

We've recently made some changes to our Privacy Policy and wanted to take this chance to alert you to the updates that will take effect July 24th 2013.

Under the section titled Our Disclosure of Your Information, in the paragraph labeled Affiliates for Our Operations, a new line has been added to the end of that paragraph that reads as follows:

It may be necessary to disclose your stored information, such as first and last name, company name, address, email and/or phone number, to relevant domain monetization advertising partners for the purpose of providing you such services.

If you have any questions about these changes or wish to cease your use of Sedo's domain parking services affected by these changes, please email us at [email protected].

Best regards,
Your Sedo Team

Yikes!

Why do advertisers need such personal info for our parking pages?

I like the domain sales I have made on Sedo, but I think I'm going to remove my parking pages.

REMOVED INFO

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sedo Changes Privacy Policy

Got this e-mail

Under the section titled Our Disclosure of Your Information, in the paragraph labeled Affiliates for Our Operations, a new line has been added to the end of that paragraph that reads as follows:

It may be necessary to disclose your stored information, such as first and last name, company name, address, email and/or phone number, to relevant domain monetization advertising partners for the purpose of providing you such services.

If you have any questions about these changes or wish to cease your use of Sedo's domain parking services affected by these changes, please email us at [email protected].

•••
Unfortunately (or fortunately), this is not a spoof email. The domain in question, along with artegic.de/.net are used by Sedo to perform mass mailings. The email itself was properly addressed per the account info.

•••
NOT a Spoof!!!

It's NOT a spoof email!

Here's what Sedo wrote:

This message did come from Sedo, and it relates to customers who use our parking services. The information shared is with our ad providers to enhance our parking services. If you wish to opt out please let me know.

If you have any further questions or comments, please visit our Customer Support Center at http://support.sedo.com.

Ayy!

Last edited:
•••
NOT a Spoof!!!

VERIFIED--This is a real mail.

REMOVED incorrect info.

Sedo said (in an email):

This message did come from Sedo, and it relates to customers who use our parking services. The information shared is with our ad providers to enhance our parking services. If you wish to opt out please let me know.

If you have any further questions or comments, please visit our Customer Support Center at http://support.sedo.com.

So, that's it, then.

Last edited:
•••
I got it also and I am not happy with them giving my personal info to advertisers.
I wonder if there a way to opt out?

And I think [email protected] is just Sedo's email client who sends out their mass emails.

•••
•••

Verified

Last edited:
•••
mydkim.de / artegic.net have created ELAINE, a software application used for digital mail-merger services.

http://elaine.sedo.com was referenced in the link of the email, custom-made to track clicks.

Truly, there isn't anything fishy about this email.

•••

Verified email.

Last edited:
•••
Removing the domains (e.g. by deleting them) won't suffice in this case. One will have to opt out from parking altogether by responding to the email with such a request.

•••
I think Lennco is right, when you whois mydkim.de you see email for Artegic.net http://www.artegic.net/eCRM/EN/References/d3.html lists Sedo as a customer. This is shoddy all around because I would have thought what Jennifer said and it was a spoof.

•••
Here's the paragraph as it currently reads:

Affiliates for Our Operations. We may use third parties ("affiliates") to facilitate or outsource one or more aspects of the services that we provide to you (e.g., domain name search technology, advertising provisions for parked domains, and other services) and therefore we may provide some of your information directly to these affiliates. These affiliates are subject to confidentiality agreements with us and other legal restrictions that prohibit their use of the information we provide them for any other purpose except to facilitate the specific outsourced service, unless you have explicitly agreed or given your prior permission to them for additional uses. In some instances, the affiliate may collect information directly from you. In these cases, you will be notified of the involvement of the affiliate, and all additional information you provide them and their additional uses will be up to you. It may be necessary to disclose your stored information, such as first and last name, company name, address, email and/or phone number, to relevant domain monetization advertising partners for the purpose of providing you such services.

(bold text is mine)

so not a spoof. (But wonky of them to use that email address.)

•••
•••
I got it also and I am not happy with them giving my personal info to advertisers.
I wonder if there a way to opt out?

And I think [email protected] is just Sedo's email client who sends out their mass emails.

I think the only way to opt out would be to remove your domains from parking by switching from

NS1.Sedoparking.com
NS2.Sedoparking.com​

to your registrar or own name servers.

But I'm still awaiting verification before I do this. But if it's true, I will remove Sedo's nameservers IMMEDIATELY.

If it IS true I will remove all the "spoof" info in these threads.

•••
Thanks, Equity. I was looking for that particular page myself. Dang, that's a huge list of large clients! :D

Most companies don't have the infrastructure to send out a large number of emails without being wrongfully tagged as spammers.

•••
This is all in relation to Google introducing DRID. Michael Gilmour from Park Logic did a very good video explaining it.

[ame]http://youtu.be/LJCWt7dizPo[/ame]

•••
I just spoke with Sedo and it's not good news.
Here is my Chat Transcript,

Hi, my name is Jessica. How may I help you?
Jessica: Hello

Lenny: Hello Jessica,

Regarding the new Privacy Policy,
Is there a way to Opt Out?

I do not agree with this new policy,
"It may be necessary to disclose your stored information, such as first and last name, company name, address, email and/or phone number, to relevant domain monetization advertising partners for the purpose of providing you such services."

Thanks
Lenny

Jessica: If you can email [email protected] if you want to close your account., I understand that you don't agree. The only option is to close your account not agreeing to the new privacy

Lenny: So just changing the nameservers away from sedo wouldn't stop from giving my personal info to your advertisers?
Lenny: I would have to close my account?

Jessica
: Yes, please provide an email stating that. You can email [email protected]

Lenny:
That just doesn't seem right, there should be away to opt out other then closing my account.

Jessica: I know but for now this is the only option. Please email [email protected]. Again, I am sorry

Lenny:
Well, I know others are upset about this as well, nobody likes their personal info given away.

Lenny:
Bye

'Lenny' disconnected ('Concluded by Agent').

:td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td:

Last edited:
•••
This is all in relation to Google introducing DRID. Michael Gilmour from Park Logic did a very good video explaining it.

http://youtu.be/LJCWt7dizPo

I'm not convinced.

I don't like the access that Google will have to my PERSONAL information, which is required at Sedo because it must match your cc address.

If it were only my whois, that's not a big deal because that's already public, but I don't need Google sniffing around my home address.

•••

I'm not convinced.

I don't like the access that Google will have to my PERSONAL information, which is required at Sedo because it must match your cc address.

If it were only my whois, that's not a big deal because that's already public, but I don't need Google sniffing around my home address.

Couldn't agree more.
Privacy Policies should be called No Privacy Policies

:td:

•••

Dang! it's true.

Now I must visit some blogs and correct myself.

•••
Jennifer - No worries. Spoofs work like that, by the way: by delivering a 'shocking' piece of news, people lower their defenses and click on links. I will have to go back and see if Sedo sent out emails in a similar fashion before.

•••
big deal

PRIVACY?

come on people r u surprised at this especially now?

NOTHING is private, its only a sense of privacy on this planet

plus it will get alot worse so get used to it!

:sick::music::'(

•••
Doesn't matter what you do at this point with your SEDO account,
the information is no doubt already in the hands of their "partners" aka. spamfest 2013

you will soon be inundated with a pile of "well now you have to opt out here" crap!

•••

I never paid any attention before because I rarely visited the domain sales/news pages.

And for offers, I always went directly to the Sedo page and signed in directly.

So now we all know that Sedo uses an outside agency to send its mass mailings.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back