IT.COM

sales Magazines(.)com valuation: $500k or $8.1 million dollars?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It appears that Meredith Corporation did some "strange" accounting, assigning $500k to the domain name Magazines.com, all while assigning ... $7.6 million dollars to the matching trademark!

So maybe the entire $8.1 million dollars should be recorded as the domain sale? Good argument by George Kirikos.

Read the details.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are magazines still popular? I know there are digital ones too but with so much info online are they needed?

•••
Are magazines still popular? I know there are digital ones too but with so much info online are they needed?

Still a $20bn+ industry despite a huge decline over the past 10+ years.

•••

That's what i was thinking, i know the deal came with a site that deals with electronic magazines, but in a physical form the term 'magazine' is slowly going the way of the DVD/VHS and cassette tapes.

Even 'books' is slowly becoming eBooks.

I’d value the domain around $500k not $8.1m and I do believe the previous owner got a good deal for it and cashed out at the right time.

Last edited:
•••
The word 'magazine' actually has a number of potential uses which may add to its' value as a domain name, and I thought some readers here might be interested in the definition and etymology of the word 'magazine':

This excerpt from Wikipedia
By definition, a magazine paginates with each issue starting at page three, with the standard sizing being 8 3⁄8 in × 10 7⁄8 in (210 mm × 280 mm).

From Middle French magasin "warehouse, depot, store", from Italian magazzino, from Arabic makhazin, plural of makhzan "storehouse". At its root, the word "magazine" refers to a collection or storage location. In the case of written publication, it is a collection of written articles. This explains why magazine publications share the word root with gunpowder magazines, artillery magazines, firearms magazines, and, in French and Russian (adopted from French as Магазин), retail stores such as department stores.

•••
Thank you for your sharing

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back