Domain Empire

auctions Lying .xyz making a mockery of DNJ

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Cant miss the weekly sales chart dominated by .xyz on DNJournal

But I smell a Negari special here. I have monitored vip.xyz for the last 4 weeks, since it was reportedly sold for $50,000usd, ended up being a shill bid on West.cn . It then went back to auction and sold for $33,000usd, 3 weeks ago, again on West.cn.

Last week Ron of DNJ said there were some big new gTLDs sales that he would report on next week but needed to verify the sales first - I immediately thought it maybe vip.xyz so I checked the whois but it was still with the xyz registry. Today the sale is showing on the DNJ weekly chart as being confirmed by Ron at DNJ. So I checked again the whois and yes its changed ownership but to who. [email protected]
but it changed again later today to [email protected]
A little digging, reverse IP checking the hosting, and using wayback archive of the new owner.
And I find the smoking gun West263.com was the previous web address for West.cn. They changed from west263.com to west.cn around late 2013. In fact west263.com redirects to west.cn.

Suspicious yes - looks like the auction house brought the name. Great marketing yes.
Wild west of domaining, no laws no morals just pump and dump.
I accept there may be a simple explanation but I dont like the look of it and all my instincts say sham.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As most don't get excited about .biz I don't see why one would get excited about .club.
I think it's about semantics.
At least .club sounds good and conveys a sense of coziness and exclusivity (just my perception, I don't own any though).
.biz is slang and doesn't sound professional so it's no wonder it's never been popular. .xyz just sounds silly and immature. When you think of it .io is hardly better. It's a TLD for geeks.
I never invest in TLDs that I would personally never use for a real life business.

•••
Maybe they financed the purchase which would probably keep the name in the original WHOIS until fully paid. Many high $ sales appear to be owned by the Seller for years because they really are owned by the seller until the final payment is made. Like how the bank owns your house until the last payment or approved sale.

•••
Surprised how hard some people on namepros ride against .xyz

The worlds smartest company (Google) uses it for its main corporate shareholder page.

Seriously, if it's good enough for them what is with all this hate.

.xyz passes the radio test and clearly has tons of potential now and into the future.

•••

The worlds smartest company (Google) uses it for its main corporate shareholder page.

.xyz passes the radio test and clearly has tons of potential now and into the future.

Yeah only because Google's parent company is called 'Alphabet' and the alphabet ends in xyz.

Other than Alphabet I can't see why any company would want their company website in an .xyz extension, try telling a none domainer your company website followed by .xyz and i suspect nearly everytime you'll get a "what was that again?" and have to repeat it.

•••
abc.xyz is a crapy site with a dozen pages, that few people will visit.
And Google use plenty of different extensions, including their own. The .xyz story is good publicity of course, but it has been inflated.

Remember what they said when .co or .mobi domains were getting traction from prominent end users. Old news isn't it ?
I'm not hating .xyz, just mocking their hubris. Domainers are gullible.

•••
Well, glad you asked. You say, " ... he demands proof ..." and then you continue to state an exception IN THE SAME SENTENCE! "...if the sale was not by some public auction platform." Aren't most "sales results" provided by some public auction platform (i.e. Flippa, Sedo, Snapnames)?

"He demands proof" you say. Look, this is the same guy who uses the tagline "DNJournal, the Domain Industry News Magazine." But then no coverage of the Adam Dicker controversy detailed in a separate thread here at Namepros. "Proof?" You mean hearsay from some unidentified participant at a domainer conference? That's "proof" of a sale?

Don't get me started bro, you sound silly with your statement, "Why would you say that?" Just plain silly.
Look I said I had no more comments because burden of proof has not been shown. All your threads are gloom and doom towards new gTLDs and the companies involved. This one is accusing collusion between auction buyers, west.cn and gen.xyz. Also allegations against DNJ have been made without merit.

I'm not going to call you names, like you have me but I will state my opinion whether you like it or not. Just because I said I was out didn't mean I wouldn't read your reply. Being out, or bye only meant I won't comment on the subject matter moving forward. :P

I will reply to your insults! :xf.rolleyes:

You can always sell your account to someone who will post on your behalf even thou you will still have the login details and control all of the account.

Just saying there are options I guess

What is the ratio please, for every .xyz google owns how many dot coms do they own?

You are not lying to anyone but yourself.

•••
•••
Domainers are gullible.
What is the point of generalizing domainers into one category? It will never make sense. :P I'm still going to make another call to ask people to turn this into a constructive conversation about facts, pros, and cons, instead of just bashing any TLD of your choice.

•••
Am not! I just paid a dude $350 remove my picture from his online dictionary!
I pay just 99 bucks a month to access archive.org

•••
I just paid 99 cents for faux.xyz

•••
•••
•••
What is the point of generalizing domainers into one category? It will never make sense. :P I'm still going to make another call to ask people to turn this into a constructive conversation about facts, pros, and cons, instead of just bashing any TLD of your choice.
Fact, XYZ registry is making a lot of money.
Pros, so are the registrars and ICANN
Cons, domainers losing money, having been brainwashed in believing yet again the second coming is near and that the true believers will be eternally rewarded in the rapture.

Rick its investigated journalism, just putting out there what I found and why I think the auction was just hype. Of course I can't prove it, there is no court of law for this sort of thing and nothing illegal took place but Im leaving it to everyone's own judgement. It is after all only my opinion and a big healthy dose of skepticism that any sane person must think when they see 1.xyz sell for more than the cost to secure the WHOLE .xyz registry, with billions of names.

Last edited:
•••
I like to mock domainers (that is us :)), and yes I've said they are gullible because they are buying all sorts of silly strings that a normal human being would not touch. It's almost like they enjoy being victimized.
Would they use those TLDs for a real business ? If not then why do they expect end users to do so ? Think about it.

Also, some domainers have be around for years and they keep trying (and losing money). Maybe they should have become more skeptical by then. It's the greater fool theory in action. Registries are selling to domainers who in their turn are looking for end users that won't come. Each domain registration is a win for the registries and the registrar. For the domainers it's almost always a loss.

•••
Fact, XYZ registry is making a lot of money.
Pros, so are the registrars and ICANN
And so is any business entity/corporation that manages to stay afloat. Isn't that the point?

Cons, domainers losing money, having been brainwashed in believing yet again the second coming is near and that the true believers will be eternally rewarded in the rapture.
Seasoned domains that I know have been doing well, even with the new TLDs (and I even thought that domainers would stay clear of it in the beginning).

Rick its investigated journalism, just putting out there what I found and why I think the auction was just hype. Of course I can't prove it, there is no court of law for this sort of thing and nothing illegal took place but Im leaving it to everyone's own judgement. It is after all only my opinion and a big healthy dose of skepticism that any sane person must think when they see 1.xyz sell for more than the cost to secure the WHOLE .xyz registry, with billions of names.

What I've been asking you to do is leave out your opinions and clearly state the facts without your sensationalism. You're even going as far as to make these sales sound fraudulent.

DNJ has been around for a long time, and you can't just point fingers at its work and expect domainers to stay quiet. It is a respected source. That doesn't mean all of its sales are accurate... far from it. But what you're saying is that because you can't find information about the ownership/development and because the sale looks somewhat atypical, the sale is fraudulent.

Let me make this clear. You may be right. That's not the issue. But these sensationalist headlines and biased conclusions should not be part of a professional discussion.

In other words, there is a better way to approach this issue.

•••
If it looks like a duck,walks like a duck,talks like a duck etc, chances are it's a duck.
Did my own crusade on fake IDN when nobody cared but changes happened.

I think the majority of registry high value sales are manufactured, even up to the point of being fraudulent, do I have proof, nope but I keep seeing ducks.

DNJ are simply reporting "sales" in good faith. I think it will not be too long before real information starts to come out from genuine investigations, disgruntled employees etc.

And what will happen if that is the case,nothing probably!

•••
G O O G L E

This is Google Venture's new website

ABC.xyz ( Alphabet )

GC.xyz (Google Capital)

GV.xyz (Google Ventures)

A.xyz (Alphabet)

C.xyz (Calico)

G.xyz (Google)

N.xyz (Nest)

Y.xyz (YouTube)

X.xyz (X)

Get ready for

abċ.xyz "IDN" ( xn--ab-8la.xyz ) ċ = relar latin letter c with dot above

•••
"abċ.xyz ċ = relar latin letter c with dot above"

Another one of your IDN posing as something else?

And do not link to you own names from within a thread.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back