Dynadot

Luxury.Estate sold for 50k to end-user

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

loupe

Established Member
Impact
Very nice sale made by Domain Holdings to a client in Monaco. Also interesting to read their take on the new gTLDs which is pretty positive especially from an experienced group of domain brokers like DH.

First paragraph quoted:

"When the new GTLD’s started rolling out earlier this year almost everyone had an opinion. Some said they would fail while others praised the innovation in this space. Fast forward a few months later and over 1,000,000 new GTLD’s have been registered. I’m not sure about you but I think they have been an astounding success for a number of reasons"

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Still don't see this having even close to the value of LuxuryEstate.Com.... These sales are really confusing..

•••
There are always sales like these for new extensions at the beginning and then they suddenly die along with the hype...

•••
Congrats to the seller. No doubt there will be occasional new TLD sales even in 2014. Every week there are dozens of $XXXX sales on DNJournal. But even those sales are outliers - exceptions amongst the millions of domains registered for resale. SEDO's reports have been fairly consistent - about 50% of aftermarket sales are .COM with the median sale well below $1000 and annual portfolio turnover around 1%. I don't believe the launch of hundreds of additional options in a short time period is going to magically translate into a mushrooming end user demand for domain names. If so, it would be a lot easier to sell good keywords in the existing alternatives - .Net, .Org, .Info, .TV, .CO, .ME .Biz, .US, etc. Add five hundred new endings for every keyword and who is going to buy them all? Look at Godaddy Auctions for any keyword and look how many domains are still waiting for a buyer....

•••
I think luxury.estate looks much better than luxuryestate.com . You get the period separating the words. Plus you don't have the "superfluous" .com hanging on the end. I can imagine it printed on a high-class property catalogue.

For old timers the names look strange but for young people and people who have yet to come to the web, they won't look new and strange.

I think there is good value in the new domains, and fifty grand in this case isn't too bad!

•••
•••
I think luxury.estate looks much better than luxuryestate.com . You get the period separating the words. Plus you don't have the "superfluous" .com hanging on the end. I can imagine it printed on a high-class property catalogue.

For old timers the names look strange but for young people and people who have yet to come to the web, they won't look new and strange.

I think there is good value in the new domains, and fifty grand in this case isn't too bad!

excellent point. you just made me register "weekend.estate"

•••
council.estate would be a good one to have lol, but little to any worth in comparison

•••

I also think Face.book looks better than Facebook.com

For all of the brands whom just go by their name, like "Facebook", "Apple", there is the .nothing new gTLD, otherwise known as the "superfluous" .com.

•••
who would spend that much, only to have a courtesy page still up on godaddy?

don't believe all the hype....all the time
don't give too much credibility to folks, too soon

•••
•••
who would spend that much, only to have a courtesy page still up on godaddy?

don't believe all the hype....all the time
don't give too much credibility to folks, too soon
What, pray tell, could you be implying? ;)

We've seen it before, we'll see it again.

Nice hit if it's real, though.

Peace,
Cy

•••
Maybe they bought it so they could sell my.luxury.estate to MyLuxuryEstate.com? Since separating your brand name with dots is the future?

•••
I also think Face.book looks better than Facebook.com

For all of the brands whom just go by their name, like "Facebook", "Apple", there is the .nothing new gTLD, otherwise known as the "superfluous" .com.

I think facebook is ****. Both as a company, website, trend and domain name. It is NOT a book, its not even a digitalised book of portrait photos. Although I understand the ORIGINAL concept beyond the website, the brand is irrelevant. The original concept was a cool trend for about 3 months, they moved on to prevent it dying like all previous websites before it. If it wasn't for people money laundering their drug deals etc. facebook would have died off a long time ago. They are burning investor cash to try and stay relevant. facebook.com is rubbish, face.book is also rubbish. Its a very dumb down brand, something that anyone who speak a little English or not, is able to pronounce.

Some will argue its genius, a brand with K.I.S.S ideology, but for me... facebook didn't even get marketing traction until long after they changed the concept beyond the website. They didn't adapt their business around new(er) technology or trends; they used a name which never had any reference about what they do or did. pathetic.

Not all are too keen, including the big G... although its not gTLD, they opted for the domain hack youtu.be which is barely much shorter to have any purpose. Myself I wouldn't have bothered or made it shorter such as yt.ext (where ext is the extension) or "ytu.be". Just goes to show they see purpose in a domain hack but not an abbreviation due to brand dilution (but surely HTTPS proud Google would be able to prove its their website via certificate!).

•••
I think facebook is ****. Both as a company, website, trend and domain name. It is NOT a book, its not even a digitalised book of portrait photos. Although I understand the ORIGINAL concept beyond the website, the brand is irrelevant. The original concept was a cool trend for about 3 months, they moved on to prevent it dying like all previous websites before it. If it wasn't for people money laundering their drug deals etc. facebook would have died off a long time ago. They are burning investor cash to try and stay relevant. facebook.com is rubbish, face.book is also rubbish. Its a very dumb down brand, something that anyone who speak a little English or not, is able to pronounce.

Some will argue its genius, a brand with K.I.S.S ideology, but for me... facebook didn't even get marketing traction until long after they changed the concept beyond the website. They didn't adapt their business around new(er) technology or trends; they used a name which never had any reference about what they do or did. pathetic.

Not all are too keen, including the big G... although its not gTLD, they opted for the domain hack youtu.be which is barely much shorter to have any purpose. Myself I wouldn't have bothered or made it shorter such as yt.ext (where ext is the extension) or "ytu.be". Just goes to show they see purpose in a domain hack but not an abbreviation due to brand dilution (but surely HTTPS proud Google would be able to prove its their website via certificate!).
Couldn't disagree more with everything you just said about Facebook...

•••
Couldn't disagree more with everything you just said about Facebook...

Well you come across as a "sheep". I cannot say I am surprised, but each for their own. Its just my opinion after all. I am sure if facebook claimed just 1 million members rather than 1 billion your opinion might be different.

•••
I have been in contact with the owner of luxury.estate and she is a domain investor fyi

I was trying to sell her a geo I own but she didnt fancy it, she is in the middle of negotiating another domain but do not know the domain in question, that is whether its a new gtld or not!

cheers

•••
domain investor that paid 50k for luxury.estate = newbie with too much money

•••
How much will a new TLD be worth when there are five thousand new TLDs including ones for every possible position of the dot including at the end of the phrase, the beginning or without any dot?

RealEstate.com
Real.Estate
.RealEstate
RealEstate.
RealEstate (no dot)
Rea.lestate
Reale.state
Realest.ate
Realestat.e
R.ealestate
Reales.tate

You think these others look better than RealEstate.com?

•••
domain investor that paid 50k for luxury.estate = newbie with too much money

Usually newbies don't have that kind of money. That was an early purchase by a domain investor (actually I think I read she bought it to use), then sold it probably an end user. Don't know, haven't kept up on it.

It would be interesting if the ones that do manage to sell are tracked by what day they were bought. I think most of them would be day 1 general availability and earlier.

•••
You think these others look better than RealEstate.com?

No, they don't look better but real.estate looks better than realestate.com, which reads like "reale state" or "reales tate".

I take your point that if new domains got ridiculous like your examples they wouldn't have any value when used as they are in your examples but when they are appropriate such as .estate with "real" or "luxury" I think they are very good and might be the way to go in the future.

I don't see the value of real.estate being affected by the release of such (hypothetical and unlikely) domains just as the values of .coms weren't affected by the introduction of .biz and .info (if anything it reinforced its position of King).

These new domains only have the advantage of easy reading when there is only one word before the dot. With somecountyreal.estate you lose the effect somewhat. A bit like the .com in this regard, where one word before the dot will make the best domain with the highest value, which I think gives some of the new domains good value and the name in discussion here good value.

That being said, some of the new domains look like they will have limited value, .blackfriday for example. What on earth would you use that for? It even loses the visual advantage of being one word.

•••
Usually newbies don't have that kind of money.

not really true.. you shoulda seen the newbies with cash to burn on .mobi... im talking several people and hundreds of thousands of dollars. they lost their ass. i just wish i would have sold more at the time, rather than just break slightly about even. i was new then too and thought i was selling stuff cheap enough.. turns out i should have sold more, cheaper and faster. and thats just one extension. believe me there were a handful of people paying ridiculous prices for 1 .mobi domain.

people come in from past successes they had and get all excited about domains and spend too much. even people that were smart in one field of expertise mess this up.

•••
Usually newbies don't have that kind of money.

that is an assumption one should never make.... about anybody, regardless to "how long they been a member of the respective forum/platform/board, etc."

if that were true, then none of the "sideshows" would profit.

:)
imo....

•••
that is an assumption one should never make.... about anybody, regardless to "how long they been a member of the respective forum/platform/board, etc."

if that were true, then none of the "sideshows" would profit.

:)
imo....

It's a correct assumption. Please look up what the word usually means. You really think most newbie domain investors have $50,000 to spend? It's probably luxuryestate.com that picked up the domain. It would make sense and both domains are Domains By Proxy.

Last edited:
•••
It's a correct assumption.

its an assumption based on nothing.

newbie has loads of cash from something completely unrelated to domains, they wanna move onto something new... they see domains selling for tons of money and get overly enthusiastic and take part in the greater fool domainer trading card thing and get caught with the bag... happens all the time. where you got the idea it doesnt is beyond me..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back