Dynadot

discuss Low ball offer reply

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
Hello, I would like to buy your unused ocean view land.
I am willing to pay $100 for it.
I am a student and want to use it for my non-profit startup.

thank you
Elliot Silver (@DInvesting)
tweeted
August 20, 2018

URL: twitter. // com/DInvesting/status/1031569804484915200

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hahahhaaha.

Some people must be biting it, otherwise why else would I get it all the time.
I mean not everyone knows that are sitting on an oceanview property

But the student-non profit gives out a very spammy/Douche vibe.

•••
I'm more on the buy-side than the sell-side, and it baffles me that so many (other) buyers think owners of valuable domains would be naive enough to believe the "student project" and "non-profit organization" stories... like they haven't heard it a million times before.

And even if the story is true, so what? Are they supposed to be a charity giving you valuable property for well below the market value? And if the intended usage of the domain is so humble and trivial, such as a student project, then why not go with an unregistered domain you can get for $10? Why is it so important to get a *specific* .com domain that's already registered, go to the trouble of contacting the owner, haggling the price, etc...? Why not register a .net for your "student project"? Why not register a .org address for your "non-profit group"?... Or any of the other 5000 gTLD names.

I've negotiated at least 30 premium domains, as a buyer, and I've never resorted to pitching a fake story to try to get a deal, because I know the only thing it would accomplish is insulting the intelligence of the seller.

•••
I'm more on the buy-side than the sell-side, and it baffles me that so many (other) buyers think owners of valuable domains would be naive enough to believe the "student project" and "non-profit organization" stories... like they haven't heard it a million times before.

And even if the story is true, so what? Are they supposed to be a charity giving you valuable property for well below the market value? And if the intended usage of the domain is so humble and trivial, such as a student project, then why not go with an unregistered domain you can get for $10? Why is it so important to get a *specific* .com domain that's already registered, go to the trouble of contacting the owner, haggling the price, etc...? Why not register a .net for your "student project"? Why not register a .org address for your "non-profit group"?... Or any of the other 5000 gTLD names.

I've negotiated at least 30 premium domains, as a buyer, and I've never resorted to pitching a fake story to try to get a deal, because I know the only thing it would accomplish is insulting the intelligence of the seller.
True.

I never tell them I plan to flip it, but I always ask for a price first, instead of giving a low ball offer. If their price is 4-5X my budget, i don't even negotiate. Lot of time they always ask me for an offer after they shoot for the moon though.

•••
True.

I never tell them I plan to flip it, but I always ask for a price first, instead of giving a low ball offer. If their price is 4-5X my budget, i don't even negotiate. Lot of time they always ask me for an offer after they shoot for the moon though.

How I approach the seller depends on my background-research of the seller and domain history. As I said, however, I will never "low ball" on the basis that it's for some noble and non-commercial purpose. An owner of a valuable domain will see right through that.

I rarely "low-ball" at all, since from my experience that can often backfire. I normally start with the lowest possible offer that I think will be taken seriously, and thus result in a reply from the seller. There have been times a seller hasn't replied at all, and I'm left wondering if they received my offer and simply ignored it because it was too low. Obviously, it puts you at a disadvantage if you have to send another unsolicited inquiry, or keep upping your offer, as it reveals your true interest in the domain (and that you've been deceptive).

Sometimes, I don't make the initial offer, I allow the seller to do that. As I said, it all depends on what I find in the seller/domain background research.

•••
"Your offer is a little low.

Could you go up to 20M?"

•••
Hello, I would like to buy your unused ocean view land.
I am willing to pay $100 for it.

thank you
Elliot Silver (@DInvesting)
tweeted
August 20, 2018

URL: twitter. // com/DInvesting/status/1031569804484915200

Nos sure, It may it can be traced to :
https://domaininvesting.com/buying-one-word-coms/

If so, then I'll say "double identity".
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

•••
I think I got used to it as I receive almost daily $100 offers for a domains worth at least 20 times that amount. In the beginning it used to upset me, but now I have a good laugh. I think you grow stronger & more confident in this business with or without the right buyers.

The most important thing is never buy a domain you can't keep for a year or two otherwise you will end up loosing to those stupid offers. Whenever I buy I domain I make sure I have 10 times its value for security.

Amr

•••
How I approach the seller depends on my background-research of the seller and domain history. As I said, however, I will never "low ball" on the basis that it's for some noble and non-commercial purpose. An owner of a valuable domain will see right through that.

I rarely "low-ball" at all, since from my experience that can often backfire. I normally start with the lowest possible offer that I think will be taken seriously, and thus result in a reply from the seller. There have been times a seller hasn't replied at all, and I'm left wondering if they received my offer and simply ignored it because it was too low. Obviously, it puts you at a disadvantage if you have to send another unsolicited inquiry, or keep upping your offer, as it reveals your true interest in the domain (and that you've been deceptive).

Sometimes, I don't make the initial offer, I allow the seller to do that. As I said, it all depends on what I find in the seller/domain background research.

How do you find info on a seller when so many use privacy? I don’t even bother unless there is a buy it now for me to gauge their expectations. You must be good at it because many are on guard regarding offers from other domainers which are often lowball land.

•••

My reply is usually something like "I would hate you sell this domain to you, since as a charity/nonprofit etc. you will likely find a better use for $xx,xxx, but here I found for you a very similar .org domain that is available for registration..."

•••
How do you find info on a seller when so many use privacy? I don’t even bother unless there is a buy it now for me to gauge their expectations. You must be good at it because many are on guard regarding offers from other domainers which are often lowball land.

Even when a domain has whois privacy, there's almost always a way to track down the owner. The first thing I'll do is check whois archive/history. The next thing is check archive.org. Beyond that it gets a bit more complicated, and requires some search engine skills, but there's almost always a way to link the domain name to something else (e.g. another domain name) which eventually leads to something that reveals the owner's identity.

Last edited:
•••
Even when a domain has whois privacy, there's almost always a way to track down the owner. The first thing I'll do is check whois archive/history. The next thing is check archive.org. Beyond that it gets a bit more complicated, and requires some search engine skills, but there's almost always a way to link the domain name to something else (e.g. another domain name) which eventually leads to something that reveals the owner's identity.
You spend so much time to track down someone and you don't as much as get a reply most of the time lol

•••
If people tire of low offers, why not set the minimum offer the system will accept to the minimum amount that you might accept? I do agree no one should misrepresent their situation, but I think allowing offers much below what would be considered is part of problem.
Bob

•••
If people tire of low offers, why not set the minimum offer the system will accept to the minimum amount that you might accept? I do agree no one should misrepresent their situation, but I think allowing offers much below what would be considered is part of problem.
Bob

You are actually creating the problem if you allow lowball offers for domains. Instead by setting a correct min value you educate your buyers and in the end sell for more.

Too many sales for couple bucks are currently dragging the industry down. People pay tens of thousands in Google or FB ads but an 1-3K domain that is so important for your business, is "expensive".

•••
People pay tens of thousands in Google or FB ads but an 1-3K domain that is so important for your business, is "expensive".

It's like getting your name&surname for free but paying $$$ to print it on business cards. Oh, wait.... :xf.rolleyes:

•••
It's like getting your name&surname for free but paying $$$ to print it on business cards. Oh, wait.... :xf.rolleyes:
Agreed
To be honest I like the money, but nobody is paying FB or google 10000X the cost.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
I mean it was probly worth that price...

•••
Don't believe that student non-sense.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Just say... we counter u xxxx...
No time to get fancy funny or rude...
Gl ;)

•••
I got a $1 offer last week - didn't even bother replying, it was either a piss take or.....I'm not actually sure what else to call it......

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back