Dynadot

Love for nothing. .

NameSilo
Watch

poweredbyme

Top Member
Impact
What are the things that you love for nothing? I mean when we love we usually expect a return. Is there something that you will never expect or ask for a return?

I know, as the OP, should start.
But I can't find.
Probably I can't love anything if it will not bring me any return for my love.
Am I guity for being such a person? Yes I love flowers and pets for nothing. But when it comes to humans, I expect a return, especially to women. Is it wrong?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I could meet a homeless dog and treat that dog like a son (love dogs), expecting nothing from the dog in return. I'd take him for a walk, buy him a bone, rub his belly...and call him a good boy. Maybe as the dog shows love, you love in return. If the dog showed aggression, then maybe different (however, that aggression could be the dog not being used to kindness / being wary). There are many things in life to love, for absolutely no gain whatsoever. If there is a gain, maybe pleasure alone. It is quite unusual to engage in an act that you don't love or get some form of pleasure from (especially if that act is voluntary), you'd just be unhappy, and well...that sucks. In summary: Its complicated, each person has a different view or definition. You choose what love you want to offer, getting love back is a bonus. IMO

Last edited:
•••
Some people view everything in kind of a transactional nature. What am I going to get out of this?
To each their own.

Everyone has their own self-interest to one extent or another.

Also, it depends how you define "for nothing".

For instance I will often donate to charity or causes I believe in, or random acts of kindness. If someone needs something I have extra of, my time, etc. I am usually willing to help (if possible, and reasonable).

Technically even there you get something out of it, as you are helping others. If you are playing with a dog that is getting enjoyment out of something. Really anything you can do you are getting something out of either directly or indirectly, but that is more a discussion on philosophy.

Brad

•••
Some people view everything in kind of a transactional nature. What am I going to get out of this?
To each their own.

Everyone has their own self-interest to one extent or another.

Also, it depends how you define "for nothing".

For instance I will often donate to charity or causes I believe in, or random acts of kindness. If someone needs something I have extra of, my time, etc. I am usually willing to help (if possible, and reasonable).

Technically even there you get something out of it, as you are helping others. If you are playing with a dog that is getting enjoyment out of something. Really anything you can do you are getting something out of either directly or indirectly, but that is more a discussion on philosophy.

Brad
You're right @bmugford, everything is pretty transactional. The concept of something for nothing...there is always something, even on a small level. People may say they love unconditionally, bit of a cliché. If you love a partner or a friend unconditionally, or expect nothing, what if your partner was unfaithful, abused you, wasn't a nice person...there is an expectation of behaviour to have such relationships (which is "something"). You're not going to stay and take it, unless you enjoy being treated badly, or have a mental illness. There is an exception to that, people not wanting to give up a certain lifestyle, so they stay (I know a couple situations like that, rough stuff). Aside from those kind of exceptions, you want a fair deal in life

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back