NameSilo

Lots of Afternic Price Requests, not many sales by comparison

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xynames

XYNames.comTop Member
Impact
I generally keep my domains at Make Offer, with a minimum offer price noted.

I get anywhere from 1 to 3 Afternic "Price Requested on your AfternicDLS Domain" daily.

When they come in, I do the careful research, and post a BIN and Floor. Then I sometimes have to go through hell getting them Fast Transfer listed at DynaDot, because AN doesn't always submit them automatically for Fast Transfer even if eligible (I often need to message AN to get them to initiate the Fast Transfer steps).

As far as sales, sometimes it takes a while, especially for the higher priced five figure ones, and then suddenly I get the equivalent of a "happy handshake" email - "Congrats ____.com has sold via Afternic Fast Transfer DLS" - but more often, nothing.

I follow up with my AN broker contact on some of them. Sometimes it is a case where a naive buyer is "shocked" by the price, thinking he was going to get a few thousand dollar domain cheap. Other times the offers come in, but not high enough.

I wish AN would allow us to communicate more directly with whatever broker is assigned to that particular sale, rather than leaving it to us to find the broker. We could at least gain some insight into what kind of price inquirers these are, and whether offers coming in are even close to our BIN.

I did have one AN broker contact me about an offeror who brought his offer up from $500. to $5000. on a $9500. domain of mine, at least giving me the choice on whether to proceed, but otherwise, I rarely hear from AN brokers. I have to contact them first.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I generally keep my domains at Make Offer, with a minimum offer price noted.

I get anywhere from 1 to 3 Afternic "Price Requested on your AfternicDLS Domain" daily.

When they come in, I do the careful research, and post a BIN and Floor. Then I sometimes have to go through hell getting them Fast Transfer listed at DynaDot, because AN doesn't always submit them automatically for Fast Transfer even if eligible (I often need to message AN to get them to initiate the Fast Transfer steps).

As far as sales, sometimes it takes a while, especially for the higher priced five figure ones, and then suddenly I get the equivalent of a "happy handshake" email - "Congrats ____.com has sold via Afternic Fast Transfer DLS" - but more often, nothing.

I follow up with my AN broker contact on some of them. Sometimes it is a case where a naive buyer is "shocked" by the price, thinking he was going to get a few thousand dollar domain for a $100. Other times the offers come in, but not high enough.

I wish AN would allow us to communicate more directly with whatever broker is assigned to that particular sale, rather than leaving it to us to find the broker. We could at least gain some insight into what kind of price inquirers these are, and whether offers coming in are even close to our BIN.

I did have one AN broker contact me about an offeror who brought his offer up from $500. to $5000. on a $9500. domain of mine, at least giving me the choice on whether to proceed, but otherwise, I rarely hear from AN brokers. I have to contact them first.
Most of those requests are started by a simpleton buyer simply clicking a Request Price button, most thinking a domain costs between $10-$100, when they see tens of thousands to many that seems like a lottery ticket, and they go into turtle shell mode.

•••
It's not possible that they think it's $10 - $100. because my minimum offers on all my domains are posted as no lower than $399. (Unless they don't read.) But yes, I assume many are not prepared to pay what they should pay.

Last edited:
•••
It's not possible that they think it's $10 - $100. because my minimum offers on all my domains are posted as no lower than $399. (Unless they don't read.) But yes, I assume many are not prepared to pay what they should pay.
Fair enough if your minimum is $399, and from the looks of it, if 99% of the time you are 10X or higher in price, that is a multiple that most internet buyers never see coming.

In most industries if you go to a website and they say min price point is $500, and then they quote $5000-$10,000 you are going to get that 99% bounce rate.

I know you have many aged 4L.com, which are rare, given how much is now held by Chinese registrants, and the fact there are only 464,000, across a world wide audience, given many of yours are more than the average 4L.com, surely constitutes a higher asking price. The people who can afford to pay that are either a startup, or well funded business. Maybe it is time for Godaddy to get into the Finance business, this is the future, people can't afford $10-25K upfront, they have to finance everything else, why not a domain name also?

Last edited:
•••
I actually don't get 4L inquiries via Afternic, or at least haven't gotten one yet via Afternic - the Afternic inquiries are mostly on two word real word domains - I get the four letter domain inquiries from direct landing on my URLs, or via my website, or via DynaDot marketplace.

I think you have assessed the situation accurately, but I wish I could have some instant communication with the AN brokers to know really what, if anything, happened after the price inquiry.

Finance business:
Yes that's a fabulous idea - the way domainagents allows payments too, or real finance over extended time, which I think is what you mean.

Last edited:
•••
I actually don't get 4L inquiries via Afternic, or at least haven't gotten one yet via Afternic - the Afternic inquiries are mostly on two word real word domains - I get the four letter domain inquiries from direct landing on my URLs, or via my website, or via DynaDot marketplace.

I think you have assessed the situation accurately, but I wish I could have some instant communication with the AN brokers to know really what, if anything, happened after the price inquiry.

Finance business:
Yes that's a fabulous idea - the way domainagents allows payments too, or real finance over extended time, which I think is what you mean.
Well the good thing about getting a few quotes a day is they are making you price out your portfolio, and as you continue to price you should experience a higher sell thru, along with less requests for price. The main reason many people do not want to price their aged domains is sometimes Amazon, or another company creates a new brand, and many times it could be your exact domain, and if the end user doesn't buy it someone else usually does, and you miss out, it is an impossible task for sure to time such scenarios, but I have seen it happen often enough, last time with GuardDuty.com

•••
Yes that's true. I got an AN price inquiry on a domain couple days ago that is a relatively new Indian stock trading app that is all over the internet. However, I did not price it higher just because of that, I priced it at market. I'm not sure if being an Indian app means that they even have money, and I'm not even sure if that is the inquirer as I have had DynaDot marketplace offers on this domain before too, before this app came into existence.

I suppose I should make an outbound to the Indian app maker now. Maybe I should remove the BIN/Floor from the domain before I do....

Last edited:
•••
Yes that's true. I got an AN price inquiry on a domain couple days ago that is a relatively new Indian stock trading app that is all over the internet. However, I did not price it higher just because of that, I priced it at market. I'm not sure if being an Indian app means that they even have money, and I'm not even sure if that is the inquirer as I have had DynaDot marketplace offers on this domain before too, before this app came into existence.

I suppose I should make an outbound to the Indian app maker now. Maybe I should remove the BIN/Floor from the domain before I do....
India is a tough market just based on economy of scale, they do not value $1000, the same way you value $1000, and they cannot close a sale without haggling, just the nature of the way they do business.

•••
What is the size of your listing at Afternic?

•••
If you mean how many domains - about 1500.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back