IT.COM

Longest running drop auction? Five Nines

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

offthehandle

.Top Member
Impact
Just went to Dropcatch. Anybody seen this before, this long?
6 hours now. Still going now.

Five Nines has been going on for hours!!!
between 2 bot's or bidders or????

https://www.dropcatch.com/Domain/FiveNines.com $19,506 right now.

6 Hours + now.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I’ll try to remember to drop by here next week and share what DropCatch replies to me about my questions on closing and reopening an auction they declared me the winner on, and the evidence that 420 was “gaming the system” external bot practices. I don’t expect this to end in my favor, but at this point I find it interesting and entertaining. I’m sure curious what 420’s limit would have been. But losers never get satisfaction.

•••
Where did you get these results from?

Namesilo's home screen doing searches, I just logically entered them one by one from what I would believe as alternatives.

•••
I’ll try to remember to drop by here next week and share what DropCatch replies to me about my questions on closing and reopening an auction they declared me the winner on, and the evidence that 420 was “gaming the system” external bot practices. I don’t expect this to end in my favor, but at this point I find it interesting and entertaining. I’m sure curious what 420’s limit would have been. But losers never get satisfaction.
You will find several threads here, one big one if you are looking at dropcatchs user bidding past.

There was one person wittynut who somehow got magical powers to bid, and keep bidding even though he had numerous outstanding payment requests. Well he used these powers to go buck wild, and just keep bidding people up like crazy, and with no end. He never paid for many auctions, which took about 2 weeks for them to go thru, and reverse all his bids after outrage by users.

During this episode it was also discovered that certain bidders have immunity in bidding, and not required to make payment next day before being allowed to bid again, they were giving extended periods to make payment, angering many who has funds in hand. Others saw this as them keeping prices high, as if one doesn’t have funds to pay what they already won, they shouldn’t be allowed to keep bidding with house credit in an auction format.

The more you dig the more you will probably find things you don’t like, and will probably add to your paranoia. I mean you were bidding the annual salary of a middle wage workers take home pay yesterday, you came to win, and by all accounts I think you should have. I mean most of this thread was so busy finding out what these magical words meant. My only assumption is based on the purity of 99.999% in regards to uptime, or product quality. You might have set a world record for back, and forth auction, I don’t know. I have no idea how you could have functioned all day yesterday. For someone to place a blind proxy like that takes a really big leap of faith. You obviously indicated to dropcatch your intentions, and they must have verified you as a big fish, so maybe your onto something here.

Last edited:
•••

There are a few of us who watch closely on aberrations like yours. I have been a DC customer for several years there and always felt they have dealt with me honestly, respectfully and directly. You can contact the owners themselves, and they will answer.

Can you describe in detail what occurred? You said the "Auction ended" above, but not sure how that you knew that, have a screenshot and how that was confirmed and what transpired.

•••
I wasn’t bidding as an investment. It was something I could use. I eventually quit because bidding against an external bot (what it looked like to me) didn’t feel like a fair fight. I did pay a lot of attention yesterday. You will see I had proxy bids put in at different times, but I had to manage it most of the day to make sure I didn’t miss a 5 min window when the other guy jumped proxy.

•••
There are a few of us who watch closely on aberrations like yours. I have been a DC customer for several years there and always felt they have dealt with me honestly, respectfully and directly. You can contact the owners themselves, and they will answer.

Can you describe in detail what occurred? You said the "Auction ended" above, but not sure how that you knew that, have a screenshot and how that was confirmed and what transpired.

It flipped to a page saying the auction had closed and that FastCars was the winner. I took a small clip of that so I could post it elsewhere, I left out the site, my name and the money bit as that wasn’t necessary. I wasn’t expecting the site to resume, or I would have certainly screengrabbed the entire thing.

Last edited:
•••

This seems to be happening a lot. Every time I come to Namepros somebody is complaining that one of these auction companies declared them the winner after the auction ended, but
they still loose the auction.

•••
It flipped to a page saying the auction had closed and that FastCars was the winner. Iook a small clip of that so I could post it elsewhere, I left out the site, my name and the money bit as that wasn’t necessary. I wasn’t expecting the site to resume, or I would have certainly screengrabbed the entire thing.
The coding must have a command where no more bids can come in once closed, so their was some proxy bot that must have placed a bit in the final second of that round, to kinda trigger a true false command to get the auction to continue.

I have to commend fastcars for keeping their composure, if that happend to me, and then to go to $35k, and lose again I would literally lose it, especially on a 10 hour bidding binge.

Last edited:
•••
The screen should have said "Fastcars is the winner" Under the name. That's confirmation.

winningbid.jpg

•••
Yes, it absolutely did. FastCars was listed as the winner right underneath.

•••
•••
I sent DropCatch an email with a pic right after it happened, before I continued on until it felt like a dishonest effort against me. I haven’t heard back yet, but it is a weekend, and if they get their money from 420, he apparently needed the name more than I did.

•••
Lets see if 420Domains shows up today, which would prove something is off as they have outstanding bids to pay for before they would be allowed to bid again, unless they been granted immunity.

•••
•••
I sent DropCatch an email with a pic right after it happened, before I continued on until it felt like a dishonest effort against me. I haven’t heard back yet, but it is a weekend, and if they get their money from 420, he apparently needed the name more than I did.

They are a small company, and ime they don't work on weekends, just call tomorrow morning at their number.

•••
420 is not a one off user such as yourself, they are an investor which makes this whole thread interesting as how an investor could afford to bid so high simply on the prospects of potentially flipping it on speculation.

•••
I don’t think they are going to say, “sure, we will give it to you where you won it”; 30k less than 420. Would be nice though. That’s what happened.

•••
The coding must have a command where no more bids can come in once closed, so their was some proxy bot that must have placed a bit in the final second of that round, to kinda trigger a true false command to get the auction to continue.

I have to commend fastcars for keeping their composure, if that happend to me, and then to go to $35k, and lose again I would literally lose it, especially on a 10 hour bidding binge.

How does that happen? The bidder and Drop Catch might be working together.

•••
I don’t think they are going to say, “sure, we will give it to you where you won it”; 30k less than 420. Would be nice though. That’s what happened.
If you want to push the topic, force them to impose their payment terms, so payment must be submitted by Wed 8AM PST, in which case 420 would be in default.

Last edited:
•••
•••
420 is not a one off user such as yourself, they are an investor which makes this whole thread interesting as how an investor could afford to bid so high simply on the prospects of potentially flipping it on speculation.

Right. I thought that was in my favor, as he had to account for retaining room for “margin”, and I did not. As you have all pointed out, there are not very many places this domain would have been worth that much to.

•••
This seems to be happening a lot. Every time I come to Namepros somebody is complaining that one of these auction companies declared them the winner after the auction ended, but
they still loose the auction.

The problem is with other platforms that do not ID the bidder- like GD- you have API's all over the place from who knows where and names being auctioned by the owners themselves, who can have friends bid just like the 2017 bidding mess. I stopped completely bidding there.

DC auctions for dropped names are clearly listed, they id bidders, and they blank out any names you list as a private seller to insure it's impossible for the owner to bid on any names listed for sale. They have a good system and I trust it.

•••
•••
I'm not trying to bash DC or anything like that. I clearly don't know much about this business or have any experience with it (I have no clue what the 2017 scandal was, for example).

What did happen is my wife and I watched and refreshed the screen as the clock went to zero with my bid being $5,306 (two other people I know where watching elsewhere as well). This was at 2:00 CST yesterday. The page flipped to saying the auction was closed and that FastCars was the winner. We had a moment of celebration at home, and I had time to post in two other locations the news that I had purchased that domain. I got up from my desk to go upstairs and looked at my phone, where I saw the price suddenly going up and the clock was still ticking away. I went back downstairs and refreshed only to see the auction was continuing. That happened. exactly as I stated it.

The rest you saw was me trying to fix it by outbidding some bot, which DC states they don't support unless otherwise approved (weird thing to say, IMO).

I was willing to pay well above market for this domain, one I would have put to use immediately. I thought that is exactly what a site like DC was for, and that I was their target audience for something like this. I eventually gave up, not because of the overall spend, but because I got convinced that this wasn't on the up and up. Just didn't feel right, and I've learned to go with my gut. It was also a long day of watching this thing, it was late, and I was a bit tired. :)

Tomorrow I will call DC and chat about the entire thing, try to see if anything can be done about it, but I don't have any expectations on the matter. It will just be an interesting footnote out here.

I very much appreciate all of your thoughts and comments on the matter. Good luck to all of you.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back