IT.COM

Longest running drop auction? Five Nines

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

offthehandle

.Top Member
Impact
Just went to Dropcatch. Anybody seen this before, this long?
6 hours now. Still going now.

Five Nines has been going on for hours!!!
between 2 bot's or bidders or????

https://www.dropcatch.com/Domain/FiveNines.com $19,506 right now.

6 Hours + now.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It’s amazing how one bidder can cause chaos for another person, this thing was done at around $1k, $33k later ouch. They should have just talked it over, and conceded a compromise.

Agreed, that was definitely a "Who has the bigger" contest.

•••
It’s amazing how one bidder can cause chaos for another person, this thing was done at around $1k, $35k later ouch. They should have just talked it over, and conceded a compromise.

and... Neither bidder were in on the gig at the drop.

•••
and... Neither bidder were in on the gig at the drop.
It’s usually the case in these public auctions.

Fivenines.com
icn-godaddy-valuation.png
Estimated Value: $5,996

•••
Last edited:
•••
Thought I'd drop in and say hi, seeing as there is a lot of conversation about the bidding that just went on. I can assure you that no one here knows me, I haven't ever been on dropcatch before, it was my first day bidding. I have a personal connection to that domain and would have liked to have won it.

I'm here to vent just a bit, because I DID win it. Earlier in the day with a bid of $5,306. The Auction actually ended and the page refreshed and declared me "FastCars" the winner. I got pretty excited about that and when I refreshed on my phone I saw the auction was still going on. didn't make sense. I went back to my computer and it said I had won and that the auction was closed. So I refreshed, and sure enough, they had opened it back up. The rest is now Internet history. :)

Last edited:
•••
Thought I'd drop in and say hi, seeing as there is a lot of conversation about the bidding that just went on. I can assure you that no one here knows me, I haven't ever been on dropcatch before, it was my first day bidding. I have a personal connection to that domain and would have liked to have one it. I'm here to vent just a bit, because I DID win it. Earlier in the day with a bid of $5,306. The Auction actually ended and the page refreshed and declared me "FastCars" the winner. I got pretty excited about that and when I refreshed on my phone I saw the auction was still going on. didn't make sense. I went back to my computer and it said I had won and that the auction was closed. So I refreshed, and sure enough, they had opened it back up. The rest is now Internet history. :)
Happens all the time with internet lag, you put up a fight, sorry for your loss, tough one to swallow. This guy just didn’t back down, I guess you had you eyes on it for a while.

An auction this long is very rare, it’s almost insane, you just came up against the wrong bidder today, at least you made them pay up.

Can I ask if your play on the domain was the meaning 99.999%?

Last edited:
•••
Thought I'd drop in and say hi, seeing as there is a lot of conversation about the bidding that just went on. I can assure you that no one here knows me, I haven't ever been on dropcatch before, it was my first day bidding. I have a personal connection to that domain and would have liked to have one it. I'm here to vent just a bit, because I DID win it. Earlier in the day with a bid of $5,306. The Auction actually ended and the page refreshed and declared me "FastCars" the winner. I got pretty excited about that and when I refreshed on my phone I saw the auction was still going on. didn't make sense. I went back to my computer and it said I had won and that the auction was closed. So I refreshed, and sure enough, they had opened it back up. The rest is now Internet history. :)

Welcome to namepros. I went to check there for something else about 4 hours ago and thought "what the heck".... why is that going on still. Never seen it before. So I watched it and took screen shots all along.

•••
Thought I'd drop in and say hi, seeing as there is a lot of conversation about the bidding that just went on. I can assure you that no one here knows me, I haven't ever been on dropcatch before, it was my first day bidding. I have a personal connection to that domain and would have liked to have won it.

I'm here to vent just a bit, because I DID win it. Earlier in the day with a bid of $5,306. The Auction actually ended and the page refreshed and declared me "FastCars" the winner. I got pretty excited about that and when I refreshed on my phone I saw the auction was still going on. didn't make sense. I went back to my computer and it said I had won and that the auction was closed. So I refreshed, and sure enough, they had opened it back up. The rest is now Internet history. :)
So you just signed up today, and they let you bid up to $35k without verification?

•••
Yea, the other guy, 420Domains was using an external bot of some sort. the Terms for DropCatch actually don't allow that without them approving, so I have sent them questions about that. He was ranging between 4:15 and 4:35 between bids all day long until he decided to jump in and jump up the bid a bit to see where I was at. Frustrating for me, as you can guess, since I had to watch this thing all day long to see if I had to react to it and he would bid with about 12 to 25 seconds remaining each and every time. I don't get it. Seems that this doesn't happen on that site. Seeing that DropCatch is in Colorado and 420 means, well, you know what... I thought maybe DropCatch decided not to sell the domain at all today and just told the other guys (who may be from Co as well) to win, and perhaps no money is actually changing hands. Who knows. Didn't feel right. I half way expect to get a call on Monday saying that they couldn't arrange payment with 420 and that they would like me to buy it.

If any of you ever end up with that domain, give me a shout!

•••
Yea, the other guy, 420Domains was using an external bot of some sort. the Terms for DropCatch actually don't allow that without them approving, so I have sent them questions about that. He was ranging between 4:15 and 4:35 between bids all day long until he decided to jump in and jump up the bid a bit to see where I was at. Frustrating for me, as you can guess, since I had to watch this thing all day long to see if I had to react to it and he would bid with about 12 to 25 seconds remaining each and every time. I don't get it. Seems that this doesn't happen on that site. Seeing that DropCatch is in Colorado and 420 means, well, you know what... I thought maybe DropCatch decided not to sell the domain at all today and just told the other guys (who may be from Co as well) to win, and perhaps no money is actually changing hands. Who knows. Didn't feel right. I half way expect to get a call on Monday saying that they couldn't arrange payment with 420 and that they would like me to buy it.

If any of you ever end up with that domain, give me a shout!
If it doesn’t get paid auction gets started again, 420Domains is a heavy hitter, most likely it gets paid, but hopefully for your sake it doesn’t, as it seems you had a high availability play on these keywords, along with a legitimate use.

420 Domains also won fieldcreek.com in auction 10 hours ago for $500. I never put the 420 bidder, and HQ in CO connection together before, if that scenario is correct there would be a lot of pissed off bidders.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I never put the 420 bidder, and HQ in CO connection together before, if that scenario is correct there would be a lot of pissed off bidders.

if 420 is hemper.com there has to be a really good chance that these places are one and the same (420 and DropCatch), or at least they know each other very well. Not sure what impact that would have had on my auction outside of that DC would have known my max possible bid and they would have known who I am and understood that I was a good match for that domain.

In the end. It was like a full-house going up against 4 of-a-kind.

•••
So you just signed up today, and they let you bid up to $35k without verification?

I signed up and verified on Wednesday I think. All in preparation for today’s battle. I had one bid on Friday just to prove the verification had worked.

•••
if 420 is hemper.com there has to be a really good chance that these places are one and the same (420 and DropCatch), or at least they know each other very well. Not sure what impact that would have had on my auction outside of that DC would have known my max possible bid and they would have known who I am and understood that I was a good match for that domain.

So he has 4 days to pay, they may extend it a few days due to it being a weekend, and such a large amount, but I would contact them if you don’t see the Whois contact change within 4 days.

Their policy is to suspend the winning bidder, and restart the auction, but given the sale has now gone public there will be a lot more heat on the second round, but I can’t see to many investors stepping into $40k on this one.

•••
The domain is worthless. If it goes to auction again, I’ll be happy to take it for $500. Let’s all just forget about today. :)

•••
So he has 4 days to pay, they may extend it a few days due to it being a weekend, and such a large amount, but I would contact them if you don’t see the Whois contact change within 4 days.

Their policy is to suspend the winning bidder, and restart the auction, but given the sale has now gone public there will be a lot more heat on the second round, but I can’t see to many investors stepping into $40k on this one.

Some have more days to pay. This post goes thru it - https://www.namepros.com/threads/mo...at-dropcatch-com.1047366/page-10#post-6447003

"We have special terms and payment process setup for this user due to a restriction with their bank (along with a few other long time customers), and we have zero reason to believe this user will not pay for a single domain that they have won."

I hadn't bid there in years, then 1 night was looking for something and DC had the name. There was an auction, I won the auction, but second place got the domain. I searched on the person who was in second place and that thread turned up. I emailed them, they were surprised. Said there was a glitch, gave me a few options. Went back to auction, I eventually got the domain.

We'll see what happens with this one.

Last edited:
•••

Looks like a bad beat on this one. I don't know your plans, but I think you can get a 3 letter .com for less, with more liquid value if you need a name to start a venture.

Last edited:
•••

I would hate if they told me I won a auction only to find out the auction is still going. I must admit you put up a good fight FastCars.

•••
I would hate if they told me I won a auction only to find out the auction is still going. I must admit you put up a good fight FastCars.
Yes. Especially if it was a savings of $30k, highly unusual for a domainer to step into a bid so heavy.

The only logical use for the domain is in the high availability space which means 99.999% efficiency which translates to only 5.26 minutes of downtime per year.

Or maybe a play of purity which would equal 99.999% which could be 420Domains play in regards to cannabis product purity.

Any outside meaning I just can’t value it.

Last edited:
•••
I couldn't imagine how to automate tax returns on thousands of LLC's let alone the rest of the operation.
I don't think they ever do fill any taxes for their LLC's. Probably these LLC's are just sending payments to the registries, that's all, and having zero profit. Buyers pay directly to DropCatch/NameBright, they don't have any relationships with these LLC's.

•••
There are a bunch of alternates registered also. Five9s, Five9, 5Nines, Show attachment 111316
I went to check the fivenin.es hack, and it's taken.

I didnt find any whois checker that shows .es registration date, only found this

Hy346bj.png

Maybe someone has really caught the trend tonight.

•••
I went to check the fivenin.es hack, and it's taken.

I didnt find any whois checker that shows .es registration date, only found this

Hy346bj.png

Maybe someone has really caught the trend tonight.
I see the registration going back to 2007, but don't know if same ownership, not a recent reg though.

•••
•••
Would dropcatch reach out to these companies.
Maybe bidder 2 FastCars represents one of those companies who knows, he didn't say, but for him to bid up to $35K he had a serious interest in it, and a serious bankroll to spend.

He was well spoken, and prepared in getting his verification completed, and tested beforehand.

I mean to sit beside a device for 10 hours from afternoon to late night, in a 5 minute increment auction, there has to be more to it.

Last edited:
•••
Would dropcatch reach out to these companies.

It'd make sense if gonines/com is involved. They seem to own the .net. decent sized company as well so they probably have this kind of money to spend on a domain. It would make the perfect upgrade.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back