IT.COM

information Long tail keywords and why they are important

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Andrew Ansley wrote a very good post at RavenTools about long tail keywords that is worth a read for those developing websites and investing in long term keywords to sell to those who will develop. From the article: Why Are Long-Tail Keywords Important? The main reason why long-tail keywords are important for your business’s SEO strategy is simple: They help connect you with the … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sure, and what's next? Sentences? Paragraphs? Let me just proudly display an entire chapter on my storefront, because it has every possible keyword related to my business, and I bow to SEO. Keep in mind, there's a limit of 63 characters. But don't let that hold us back.

I don't discount some long-tails, they can be catchy and memorable. But I think we're getting a little ridiculous now, informing people to just make their domains longer and longer all to feed the .com engine. I'm assuming that's what the article is referencing to. Because I'm not seeing consideration being given to the stronger, more relevant domains available now, using NEW extensions that are keyword-rich and brand-specific, meanwhile keeping the domain name SHORT and SWEET. This is what helps connect with buyers.

In terms of "super relevancy", well the more words you need to describe something, the less relevant it becomes, because it loses its brand appeal.

So, lets move away from this long-tail crap, and embrace whats right in front of us. Your buyers will thank you.

•••
2 word keyword domains can pay off themselves well if you do your research. However, I am not really convinced about buying 3 word long tail keyword domain to hold and wait until a buyer comes along willing to pay your price. There are just too many 3 word variations available.

From SEO point of view, long tail keyword domains can be helpful in reaching a wider and ready to take action audience organically.

•••
Sure, and what's next? Sentences? Paragraphs? Let me just proudly display an entire chapter on my storefront, because it has every possible keyword related to my business, and I bow to SEO. Keep in mind, there's a limit of 63 characters. But don't let that hold us back.

I don't discount some long-tails, they can be catchy and memorable. But I think we're getting a little ridiculous now, informing people to just make their domains longer and longer all to feed the .com engine. I'm assuming that's what the article is referencing to. Because I'm not seeing consideration being given to the stronger, more relevant domains available now, using NEW extensions that are keyword-rich and brand-specific, meanwhile keeping the domain name SHORT and SWEET. This is what helps connect with buyers.

In terms of "super relevancy", well the more words you need to describe something, the less relevant it becomes, because it loses its brand appeal.

So, lets move away from this long-tail crap, and embrace whats right in front of us. Your buyers will thank you.
I would not say that better. I just do not think we should consider word1word2word3 names in 2019, when we have so much of much shorter options available in new gTLD space.

And in domains and branding, unlike in some others areas of life, one needs to understand that:
the shorter, the better! :)

•••
It is my view that a geo + real estate .com domain should be a great brand for a real estate agency. Trulia shows that in West Palm Beach there are homes priced $500k to $1 million with condos in the $200-$250k range. A real estate agency's commission of 3% of the sales price adds up to some serious commission revenue in 12 months. Yet the West Palm Beach geo .com domain more than sixteen years after the registration date remains unsold. An agency in downtown West Palm has a double-hyphenated reg fee domain. How is that for location location? End users generally speaking place very little value on domain names so perhaps rather acquiring and renewing hundreds of domain names we should be looking to convert a few into mini-businesses.

•••
I am somewhat sceptical but could see the argument that more specialized longer domains although having less search volume since accurately focussed might have a much higher click through rate. The probability of sale would make this a loser's game as a domain investment though. I think there is a good argument for a company using multiple domains, short for main site plus generalized marketing, and long and specific for certain campaigns.

Bob

•••
But many businesses are built around something very specific, with phrases that might call for a site using all of those words. Because the customer uses all of them when searching.
i.e.:
sensory/spd friendly clothing
tagless childrens clothing
plus size bridal
deaf cruises/travel
mens big tall
pittsburgh health club
vintage sewing patterns

•••
Ummm ... just going to stop you all before everyone picks sides and this grows into a huge debate where someone eventually loses an eye .. lol

I hope you all realise that this article is not about domains .. it's about what type of keywords (short-tail vs long-tail) to focus on for the actual content of a website.

That being said, when it comes to domains, length isn't much of a direct factor (it still is indirectly based on how length affects user metrics) .. but that most certainly does not rule out a small number of 3 word domains that could be extremely valuable because the specific term in question incurs a lot of trust and/or authority.

For example, I own RepetitiveMotionInjuries and InternetSecurityExpert (both in com) .. and I think that despite being 23/34 characters, they are still valuable domains. So yes, long-tail domains can be valuable .. but the terms need to be extremely strong to justify buying/holding the domain as an actual investor.

•••
I hope you all realise that this article is not about domains .. it's about what type of keywords (short-tail vs long-tail) to focus on for the actual content of a website.
A bit of confusion, I suppose, from the article's intro:
about long tail keywords that is worth a read for those developing websites and investing in long term keywords to sell to those who will develop
which I take to mean domains. And further into it no mention of domains, but incorporating long-tails into the content, as internal links.
So no need to fuss about that, I suppose you are right. Still, one could consider taking advantage the highly keyword-rich new extensions even for that sort of thing.

•••
Whether the article is about them or not (agree it is confusing certainly implying it is at times) I was worried that I did not have any:xf.eek:.
Luckily I discovered that
LongTailKeywordDomain.com
is available to hand register so I am all set with a long tail keyword domain! :xf.cool:
Bob
(no not really - I left it for you! :xf.grin:)

•••
Longtail keyword domains are somewhat okay, but not all are okay IMO

Do what works, otherwise let it go and move on to the better pastures :)

•••
Since the article speaks of those investing in long-tails to develop, it does present the context of a long-tail asset being the one developed on. To add more to this topic, I just finished a quick evaluation of another long-tail. As others mentioned, not all long-tails are created equal and most never find a home.

For those interested in that contextual angle of long-tails, take a look at the footnotes and takeaway of this evaluation:
Asset Type:
Long-Tail (3 or more words) / Product-Service
Note: There are a few different direction that this word can go, giving it some versatility.
Note: This definition isolates the asset to the internet/intranet market. However, one could always have other types of your keyword delivered to their home as well. So, the campaign itself is still versatile if you get creative with it.
Note: Interesting data. We can see where there was a long-tail trend back in 2006 to 2007 for long-tails using your primary keyword first in a different industry. There are a few in the tech industry you're obvious target is, but not much to go by. It gives an idea.
Opinion: You can find thousands of telecom companies that offer fiber optic services that may benefit off your long-tail asset for a targeted campaign.

Long-Tails can be very difficult to form a presentation that resonates with an end-user enough to validate the cost versus the reward. At the end of the day, the majority of long-tails are hobbyist developments.

The age helps your assets reseller liquidity a little, but not much.

The hard part is identifying the potential end-user, gathering more research on their specific niche, formulating a presentation, negotiating, and closing.

Your asset has a tiny bit of reseller liquidity, not much and you will have to do a lot of leg-work to find the right buyer and apply the hard parts I also mentioned above, which in most cases, investors fail at.
Full Evaluation - VIP/Gold Only

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back