Dynadot

LLLLL.com (5 Letter) Sales and discussion thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GlobalDomainer

Account Closed
Impact
Hi guys,

Like anyone of you, I am always searching for new trends. For the last 18 months I went really deep into the LLLL. I placed my bets, and now only have to wait for all them 4 letters to be :sold:

So I was thinking. What would be a nice new niche for me to get into? My answer after some thinking and testing is actually quite simple. I decided to invest in quality LLLLL coms. I know I know, it is not actually a new trend and not really a niche. But I tell you, these 5 letter domains can become big business in some time :imho:

Why? Because quality 5 letter domains are extremely brandable. Lots of startups there looking for a brandable short name, especially the web 2.0 based ones. Quality 5 letter domains generate also natural type in traffic as I experienced myself. And ofcourse, it is dotcom based, the only safe bet you can make I believe.

I also believe that not all 5 letter dotcoms will be sold shortly, maybe they will never be. You really need to have quality names. But that is also a question I have for you. What is a quality name in this niche?

So maybe we can make this thread a bit sticky and share thoughts and experiences in developing this part of the domain market.

Oh yeah, just to share this with you. I recently acquired sygar, lyned, jebia, sebod, pifab, pobit, samau and penep.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have had two $500+, 5L.com sales in which the end user found and contacted me. I think they are a good investment if you don't mind either building the sites, marketing your names well or holding onto them for another 1-3 years.

•••
still some good ones out there.. just grabbed tetio.com...

•••
Hey guys im posing a question to everyone. Lets say that in 5 years the LLLLL.com market sells out are you proposing that the LLLLLL.com market will jump and so on and so forth? Other than pronounceable i cant see the value in plain ol LLLLL.com

•••
domainer50 said:
Hey guys im posing a question to everyone. Lets say that in 5 years the LLLLL.com market sells out are you proposing that the LLLLLL.com market will jump and so on and so forth? Other than pronounceable i cant see the value in plain ol LLLLL.com

I personally think that within 5 years any random 5L.com will not be worth a bunch just because it is a 5L.com. I think that the value in 5L.coms is in the pronouncability and the meaning of the word. Even though you think it might be a fake, made-up, word, it might and probably does mean something to somebody. I especially like the 5L.coms that are surnames or sound like a first name.

•••
domainer50 said:

Good question!

There is a rule of thumb in psychology about the limits of short term memory.

Short term memory limits: 7 plus/minus 2

You hear this rule all the time when you are preparing powerpoint presentations for talks, page design, etc. The vast majority of people can remember at least 5 random objects, and at most 9, with some statistical outliers in the tail distribution.

This means that 5L is still within the short term memory limits of the vast majority. By the time you get to 6L you are starting to lose the ability (for some) for short term memory. Just another interesting tidbit from neuroscience that has bearing on domaining.

Marc

•••
I regged mivvo.com awhile back. I'm considering using this.

What do you think? Is this a good 5L.com?

Skinny

•••
Skinny said:
I regged mivvo.com awhile back. I'm considering using this.

What do you think? Is this a good 5L.com?

Skinny

Is there a difference in pronunciation between mivo and mivvo?

•••
Nope and I know that's a bit of a problem isn't it.

Skinny

•••
Sorry I should have expanded. But, I now realize my point is moot, as digg is the perfect example of why mivvo could work.

•••
well there are lots of 5Ls going on ebay for less than 1$, and CVCVCs, VCVCVs with good letters that is...

•••
Does anyone know which % of the LLLLL.com's are available?
Is it like 90% or so so?

•••
johntv said:
Does anyone know which % of the LLLLL.com's are available?
Is it like 90% or so so?
A quick check, it looked like somewhere about 3/4 of the all-premium CVCVC and VCVCV are taken. Still some nice ones left. A buy-out of all-premium in those patterns is very believable in a year or two.

If present trends hold (of course they won't - the tricky part is which way they will deviate), there will be eventually a buy-out of all LLLLL.coms. But it is so far down the line that any investment made now in LLLLL better not rely on that.

•••
I'm trying to take some good pronounceable ones.. ie:

iPeve*com
Rixxy*com
Bifie*com

•••
Geani .com

I've started developing one of my 5L.coms's into a quick site. Not much content yet but I will be adding articles, ideas and info.

Geani , A place to buy denim jeans :)

I'm gonna try to develope a few others as well. I'm sure that if we develop our 5L.coms the value will increase whether they are the next big hype or not.

Last edited:
•••
Is anyone investing in 5L.coms that contain a popular 3 letter word?

I recently registered JrOil.com thinking that there has to be a oil tycoon out there somewhere who is a Junior to his father.. Plus I found this website, http://www.worldjunioroilcongress.com/ so it is a term that is used.
Maybe a long shot but I thought it was worth a try.

•••
Bought avbia.com a few months ago here for $5.00 (:

•••
I buy LLLLL solely for future possibility. Have sold some for low xx, but when I look back at all the LLLL I passed up over the last couple years, that are now bringing in high xxx to low x,xxx just because they're pronounceable, I'm carefully looking at all possible future trends. l-l-l are gone, n-n-n also, many other trends are taking hold and I'm secretly looking into a couple possibilities that haven't even begun yet.

I think LLLLL are a safe bet for now, ONLY if you are excruciatingly objective about why you would reg each name. During my searches for names (of which I put many on my Bannen's Best list (sig), I come up with a few hundred pronounceable LLLLL each day I search. For each availables list, I kull out a few dozen or hundred of the best and put those on the list, and I think I may reg maybe one name out of a thousand pronounceables. I stumble upon maybe two great ones each week. Yesterday I nabbed both Joisi.com and Haulz.com, but there are none others so completely good from today's searches yet, and I've found about 300 decent ones.

I've had multiple offers around $20 - 30 for names like twuck.com, brudu.com, siyns.com, but I'm looking ahead to a year or 2 from now, when all such good brandable LLLLL will be long gone, and thinking these types will be worth in the low xxx range at least. Sold rhich.com recently for $10, but should have held on to it.

When I consider an LLLLL, if it's based on a real word (like twuck or siyns or Porcy) I try to type out all different spellings of that word... and if I have the best one, and it's based on a word that has much value like truck or signs, I'll reg it. If it's a name, like Joisi or Slaus, it has to have some reasonable Google, has to look quite attractive, and hopefully have the best letters I can find for that sound. If it's a straight brandable name like Brudu (actually means 'blood' in another language, which is very cool) or Pucie, my technique is that I have to be able to scan down a list of hundreds of decent pronounceable LLLLL and this name HAS to pop way out from the rest, every time, over a couple days (I reread lists a few times). Some names that look great the night before, I wake up and go 'what the hell did I see in that last night?!' So it has to stand the test of time. Even then, I still make many regs I regret a week or 2 later.

I more often try for interesting typos and test for traffic. In the last couple weeks I've been trying coisn.com (coins), birsd.com (birds), and Udbai.com (Dubai). Coisn = almost nothing; birsd = a little traff and clicks; udbai = too early to tell, but probably slow.

Takes a lot of careful thought to get good LLLLL right now, and it's best to not even think of selling them right away. As all those LLLL prices go sky high like they are now, end users and traders will turn to the next 'affordable' thing, which will be LLLLL. In my opinion. There are other trends of course, but I already see this one starting. Carefully, but starting nonetheless.

•••
Funny how my "best" lllll don't look like yours. I take mostly vcvcv or cvlcv which have a good ring and preferably Google results. Not trying to mimic English words. We will see...

•••
jido said:
Funny how my "best" lllll don't look like yours. I take mostly vcvcv or cvlcv which have a good ring and preferably Google results. Not trying to mimic English words. We will see...

Yah, I look for those too :)
But more often, I search for 'unusual' VC combinations that 'fall between the cracks', 'fly under the radar', abnormalities that most people aren't looking for -- but which, when found, people look at and think, 'that's actually pretty cool'.

•••
Bannen said:
excruciatingly objective

I need to master this. It's very difficult though when you see so many names selling for 3 or more figures.

•••
FYI, just posted a killer list of LLLLL.com on today's Bannen's Best list. Run for them, lots I wanted to get myself but I reg too many as it is :)

•••
Great lists, repped and looking at picking up a couple of these, will post them if I do. Thanks.

:tu:

•••
And another list today too; some VERY good ones today, and they're already sailing away fast so run for 'em :) (click the link in my sig)

•••
These are my favorite LLLLL.com

Huseo - this can be use for SEO for Hungary

Fymax - encouraged me reg. after the sale of Cymax

Webub - this was the last pronouceable CVCVC with web at the beginning

•••
I love LLLLL.com domains.. I think I have over 20 now.. but I think you cannot go wrong with a LLLLL.com.. since all 4L .com are gone.. 5L are next.. and because 5L can be so much more Brandable then a 4L domain any day of the week

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back