Dynadot

discuss LLLL .com prices

NameSilo
Watch
I am still seeing crazy prices on godaddy expiring auctions for sub premium 4 letter domains. Seems the ball is still rolling for the expiring market places but have you noticed lower prices for your own domains?

Recently I had PAQH.com in auction on godaddy which I did not buy any upgrades for. The end price was in the low $xxx range, a far cry from the normal $1500+ bids there are in expiring auctions.

How can one attract those bidders to a public auction? Well I think it's the same as any marketplace, need to get your listings exposed, I am going to try to buy category and homepage feature upgrades. Let's see if that does the trick :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've noticed the expired domains get a lot more action on GD, what concerns me is the lack of transparency. There should be a system with bidders usernames/aliases. We all saw what went on with a recent 4L 130k sale. -_-

I'm not accusing GD of anything, but when there's a system that lacks transparency it automatically raises questions for me.

•••
I sold PAQH for $60 on Flippa in Jan 2015 :(

•••
When a domain you have searched for in the past at godaddy becomes available they email you. I don't know if this crosses over to expired domains from godaddy however.

•••
I'm just trying to figure out the source of this pricing surge. When a domainer pays $1,000+ for a LLLL (that was $10-$50 a couple years ago) there is obviously something backing that decision, but what? End user sales would be understandable, but where are the confirmed sales at? I don't see any.

When these were selling for regfee to mid $xx, the good end user sales were low $x,xxx. But they were selling for so little at resale because there are 456,976 of them and the odds of closing an end user sale was/is so low. So people would sit on several of them... dozens.... sometimes hundreds.... to increase the odds of an end user sale that could at least cover the renewal costs.

If you are going to pay $1,000+ for a LLLL, factoring in the low likelihood of being approached for it, they would need to have a good number of reported $50,000 end user sales to make that a risk worth taking. Where are those at?

Last edited:
•••
I think it is all 'speculators'

•••
I'm just trying to figure out the source of this pricing surge. When a domainer pays $1,000+ for a LLLL (that was $10-$50 a couple years ago) there is obviously something backing that decision, but what? End user sales would be understandable, but where are the confirmed sales at? I don't see any.

When these were selling for regfee to mid $xx, the good end user sales were low $x,xxx. But they were selling for so little at resale because there are 456,976 of them and the odds of closing an end user sale was/is so low. So people would sit on several of them... dozens.... sometimes hundreds.... to increase the odds of an end user sale that could at least cover the renewal costs.

If you are going to pay $1,000+ for a LLLL, factoring in the low likelihood of being approached for it, they would need to have a good number of reported $50,000 end user sales to make that a risk worth taking. Where are those at?

In the Chinese language they don't usually use vowels or V so the possible LLLL combinations that are 'Chinese appropriate' are much less then 456,976 , also the ones who goes for 1k+ might look random for us english speaking crowed but they usually have some good meaning in Chinese , or have the CN/BJ etc.

•••
•••
I have a few for sale if anyone is interested?
I am trying different platforms but not enough data just yet to be able to report back here. Sold about 6-7 so far, mostly on NP's. The one which sold yesterday via flippa went for $115 post auction (14 watchers) so was pretty happy with that - MPUY.com. I believe John was one of the bidders.
I placed CMZV dot com via a 7 day godaddy auction starting at $20 and currently sitting at $76 with 5 bidders with 30 hours to go. Will be interesting to see all of the data once i am moved the 95 domains to a new home. :)

•••
•••
•••
Lot of buzz around LLLL names for sure.

•••
Same as for LLL.com

If the LLL.com go up, then LLLL.com follow and so it has been.

I fully agree on this, The reason being is LLL.com are starting to go out of reach of the usually 10K range having sold 2 lll.com in the last few weeks on sedo in the high $xx,xxx range..the LLLL market looks like a good investment.

Do I believe certain llll to the Chinese market are worth more thats BS ... the ones who are saying this are non Chinese domainers...lots of Chinese sites are using the bad letters A,E,I,O,U, V lol domainers are looking at one group of people I look at the whole world not just one country.

As I noted in the LLL.com thread years back " so called top domainers " saying XyZ are shit letters on lll.com now who's sitting here making top dollar..

FX

•••
Do I believe certain llll to the Chinese market are worth more thats BS ... the ones who are saying this are non Chinese domainers...lots of Chinese sites are using the bad letters A,E,I,O,U, V lol domainers are looking at one group of people I look at the whole world not just one country.

FX
It's not BS, it's proven fact, backed up by boatloads of auction data within the past six months at least, as well as by Chinese domainers in multiple NP threads. Of course there are exceptions. Most domainers are looking at auctions and not end-user sales. They are two different beasts for sure.

Of course it depends on your own personal definition of "worth more". Again, Chinese investors/speculators v. Chinese business/end-users are two distinct entities when it comes down to domain "worth".

•••
As I noted in the LLL.com thread years back " so called top domainers " saying XyZ are shit letters on lll.com now who's sitting here making top dollar..

FX

You always will find different opinions but you can't argue math and since the LLLLs out there are 26 times the LLLs, it could be logic that eventually the average price for a LLLL.com will be 1/26 of the average LLL.com

It may take time since the domain market is still relatively young but eventually one day...

•••
You always will find different opinions but you can't argue math and since the LLLLs out there are 26 times the LLLs, it could be logic that eventually the average price for a LLLL.com will be 1/26 of the average LLL.com
At this point you also have to take into account ones that are already developed. My guesstimate is 25k-50k developed. I wish there was some way to determine this. I could be way off.

Therefore the "available" pool would be nearer to 400k. Still IMHO, there are what I like to consider junk LLLL that will never amount to much, just wooden nickels passed back and forth between "collectors". These make the pool of salable names even smaller.

Last edited:
•••
It's not BS, it's proven fact, backed up by boatloads of auction data within the past six months at least, as well as by Chinese domainers in multiple NP threads. Of course there are exceptions. Most domainers are looking at auctions and not end-user sales. They are two different beasts for sure.

Of course it depends on your own personal definition of "worth more". Again, Chinese investors/speculators v. Chinese business/end-users are two distinct entities when it comes down to domain "worth".

Exactly there is no BS, when you deal with Chinese buyers who are customers doing multiple transactions and you send a name with a V, I have always gotten back, Why are you sending me an LLLL with a V ? NO V.

Of course some may use vowels Qi makes sense, but most Chinese buyers are looking for No Vowel Plus V.

Bottom line 10 years ago on Namepros if I auctioned Xqqm.com I might get $6, because the Chinese buyers were not as many or as active. I auctioned it on here 6 weeks ago and it sold for $335 that was never happening a decade ago on this or any other domain forum.

•••
From the Daily Sales Recap on TLDinvestors.com

vfiw.com 100 USD
xwiw.com 100 USD
OEQT.com 88 USD Public Auction
Xjvj.com 86 USD Public Auction
YOJV.com 80 USD
OUZR.com 71 USD Public Auction
ZNOJ.com 65 USD Public Auction

Each has a vowel or a V

No Vowel Plus V

hwei.com 2,850 USD only one with a vowel and looks to be a personal name in Chinese as one use.
ycpz.com 1,550 USD
pjhq.com 1,550 USD
ycpn.com 1,550 USD
njkm.com 1,225 USD

•••
Maybe it's worth to mention that in these names there is not one single premium one, neither for a westerner nor for a Chinese

Exactly, I did not see the previous post and checked the auction. V in a 4L.com is the worst Letter, unless it spells a word Veil.com or a great pronounceable CVCV like COVO.com it means little in the West. It means even less to a Chinese buyer, Pinyin is a Chinese system for transliterating Mandarin Chinese with 25 European characters (the letter "v" is never used) source:http://www.zein.se/patrick/chinen8p.html

•••
hwei.com 2,850 USD

Maybe because of the similarity with huawei.
It is also quite common as a Chinese name or surname ( I am not sure)

•••
Maybe because of the similarity with huawei.
It is also quite common as a Chinese name or surname ( I am not sure)
name.

Yeah I thought of Huawei too. I think you right about the name, I found a few people with that

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back