NameSilo

LLL.in Chinese are buying them up

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steven Pilditch

Established Member
Impact
LLL.in Have gone up in value over the past few years. Will they go up, in the near future?

China owns 10.2% of the market, which means that the CHIPS game will be hard to start (CHIPS are LLL domains without a, e, i, o, u, and v letters).

Source: http://our.in/lll-in-distribution-by-country/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They've gone up and down over several years. There have been LLL.in/LLL.co.in buyouts in the past and they've never held. Fortunately, I do think the LLL.in buyout will probably hold this time since many paid higher amounts for them now and won't let them drop. But, I can't say that I think prices will continue to rise. If anything, I think they will continue to fall (just my personal opinion though - I don't have any strong data to really back that up)

•••
•••
•••
•••
There's a very small number of people holding a large portion of them. Prices are all over the place. It's also fair to say that a relatively small number of people make a lot of the noise hyping up the .in extension.

I'm not saying they're right or wrong, but people should be aware of where threads like this come from.

There was a spike in prices at the start of the year following a series of articles and threads but prices went back to where they'd been before quite quickly.

It's possible that the yearly hype is around renewal time, when the big portfolio holders ship a few to resellers at inflated prices to cover their holding costs.

I personally think the future will be bright for .in but the reseller market is extremely volatile and end user sales are rare.

•••
Now is also the time when the new GGRG report is out and the drops from last years Chinese registration spree will have passed soon - what we all have been waiting for to see how thee market reacts "when renewals are coming up".

•••
There was a spike in prices at the start of the year following a series of articles and threads but prices went back to where they'd been before quite quickly.

Before the Chinese wave came the prices of low quality LLL.in's had been like 10 USD and better quality ones were traded around 50 - 100 USD. Currently the same low quality are being traded for 150 - 200 USD and the better quality much more. So, the prices didn't go back to where they'd been before (the Chinese wave).

...end user sales are rare.

or rarely reported

•••
Before the Chinese wave came the prices of low quality LLL.in's had been like 10 USD and better quality ones were traded around 50 - 100 USD. Currently the same low quality are being traded for 150 - 200 USD and the better quality much more. So, the prices didn't go back to where they'd been before (the Chinese wave).

I think we're referring to two different points in time. I'm referring to a sharp hike where Chinese LLL.in (and all lll.in) shot up to around a $300 floor and then plummeted back down in fairly quick fashion.

or rarely reported

Possible but not likely. Great efforts are made by the big holders to publicise the extension and I don't believe they'd miss many opportunities to report a sale if they could help it.

•••
One thing I really can't understand is why someone does have to care about Chinese buyers for a country that will soon be even more populated than China and that is basically English speaking.
Nothing against Chinese buyers, they have become and will be a big part of domain industry, but India and .in are for sure one of the biggest opportunity you'll ever find in domain industry if you are smart enough to wait the right period.

Last edited:
•••
I think we're referring to two different points in time. I'm referring to a sharp hike where Chinese LLL.in (and all lll.in) shot up to around a $300 floor and then plummeted back down in fairly quick fashion.

They (Chinese) affected all major extensions in the same fashion and .in's are not an exception here. All the short names hiked and then decreased.

I remember in the first half of 2015 nobody talked about chips in relation to LLL.in's. As mentioned in my earlier post the prices were pretty low at that time. They started growing slowly in the second part of 2015 and then accelerated in the first quarter of 2016. If the same domain was worth $10 and now, after the price dropped since the hike, it's still worth $150-200, that's 1500 - 2000% ROI. Still pretty good result IMO.

What I'm trying to say is that you need to consider the whole phenomenon which affected the prices to see the picture properly.

Possible but not likely. Great efforts are made by the big holders to publicise the extension and I don't believe they'd miss many opportunities to report a sale if they could help it.

It's not only likely but I would say it's certain :)
Big holders don't publicize their sales with rare exceptions. The reason for that is another long story, but generally it reflects how IN Registry views some things. Another reason is that Escrow doesn't publish their transactions and many sales are done using that service. I often see the sales reported in WhatsUp groups or by friendly domainers - they never find a way to public databases. Sometimes they are reported on blogs or forums as well. For example, a sale of MoneyGuru.in was recently reported on our.in blog, but you won't find it on NameBio.

Last edited:
•••
6 sales in 5 months
Market is heating up ? https://namebio.com/?s=wN4IDOxUTO

Dear Friend,
let me justify your doubts......

.in registry prohibited Public Auctions for .in domains.
so none of the sales will be happen publically.... only sedo and sometimes flippa domains are reported for BIN sales ... any other platforms will not allow .in listing...

godaddy says "TLD not listable...."

so everytime NameBio not sufficient...
check other sources...for .in sales data...

refer THE.in for recent sales data....

On Another Note.....

also my personal openion...-
"unless chinese people start using .in extension for development, chinese premium in .in extension are useless IMO...., thats are crap letters for Indians...."

"not expecting them to spoil .in (Indian) domain market with dirty trading stratagies...."

Last edited:
•••
One thing I really can't understand is why someone does have to care about Chinese buyers for a country that will soon be even more populated than China and that is basically English speaking.
Nothing against Chinese buyers, they have become and will be a big part of domain industry, but India and .in are for sure one of the biggest opportunity you'll ever find in domain industry if you are smart enough to wait the right period.

Exactly...

As i said,
Chinese letters are crap for Indian Endusers.... (especially in Indian English....)

we do not want domains ending with W,
we do not want city code in our domain name...
we do not want numerical domains at all.... unless they are premiums like 111.in 222.in and so on....
we just love a e i o u......

thats why I said,
"not expecting them to spoil .in (Indian) domain market with dirty trading stratagies...."

•••
An interesting thread, I am one of the top 10 LLL.in holder in terms of numbers and i know all other big investors in .IN area... i am following the stats closely for last few years , LLL.in prices are appreciated a lot compare to 2 years before (still i believe a way lower compare to its future potential) and hence the similar appreciation i am expecting until for next 5 to 7 years time. there after the appreciation values will be very small like any other matured extensions markets. I still love to invest what i can afford to invest into LLL.in names , i am confident about their future.

Its open secret, the top 10 LLL.in investors are only increased their share over last 1 year none has let their share gone down.. why any one continue to invest their hard earned money if they cant see the future?.. .IN is a solid extension supported by strong investors community, it has the real potential .those investors who own them never let them go their names cheaply, there is only small portion of names are really available for re-sale..
chinese wave has impact on all extensions and chinese are undoubtfully major players of all extensions , it helped to raise prices faster during the good times and also it helped to make the prices fallen sharply when they exited.. per example LLL.co extension was trading around 100% higher than .IN around March 2016, now certainly trading lower than .IN Names.

.IN is not about just chinese or Indians or Americans or Europeans.. it has a clear branding potential to be selected as a global brand too and also domain hacks.. undoubtly its India's ccTLD with the global branding potential, India itself is good enough to bring future potential opportunities .. USA and China are the largest consumers of domain names , India is just having around 7 to 8 million domain names compare the 110+ million domain names USA has.. so there is a large potential ahead to grow the volumes..

i invest for the future.. i am quite confident in LLL.in , its just my humble opinion.

P.s: I am not recommending anyone to buy or sell LLL.in domain names, I am also not challenging anyone just sharing my opinion like any other member. please use your commonsense and take the decision what better suites to your circumstances.

•••
•••
.In still have some strict policy, hope they will become more open like .Com and others. That can help the value increase in the market.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back