Dynadot

Listing Names Simultaneously on Afternic, GoDaddy and Sedo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello Everyone!

I am just beginning to list my hand registered domains for sale on various platforms. Tonight I placed a handful of my names into a 7 Day Godaddy auction with no reserve (but with a minimum bid I could live with as the sales price).

After starting some 7 Day Godaddy auctions I discovered the ease with which I could also list my names on Afternic and Sedo as well. So I uploaded most of my portfolio to Sedo but designated most of them as “Not For Sale”; the names I designated as being for sale are marked “Make an offer” with no buy it now price. I have also submitted those names to Sedo for consideration in their Great Domains Auction and I am awaiting their decision (I’m sure they have been praying to get my hand registrations into their auction…lol).

I also added a bunch of names to the Afternic platform, all with Buy It Now prices. For some reason I felt the need to make the minimum bids on Godaddy pretty low (with no reserve) but I felt like I could / should make the Buy It Now prices on Afternic significantly higher.

There are a few names I have listed on all three platforms. Below is an example of how a single name listed on all 3 platforms might look:

Godaddy - $100 minimum bid, no reserve 7 day auction. There is no buy it now price here.

Sedo – “Make an offer” with no buy it now price (also submitted to Sedo’s Great Domains but it may not be accepted).

Afternic - Buy it now for $600, minimum bid $250.

Is there any potential conflict or issues if I list a name for sale on Godaddy, Sedo and Afternic simultaneously as in the example above? Does anyone have suggestions on a listing strategy? Any ideas about where I should list my names for the best chance of selling? Any other feedback or suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The only thing to watch out for is that you should not put yourself in a position where you can't complete a sale.. eg. if someone places a bid on the Godaddy auctions and someone else buys it on Afternic at BIN price, you're going to have problems as you're obliged to sell on both platforms. Of course the chance of this happening is pretty low, but should still be kept in mind.

•••
I agree with domainbartender. All my domains are listed Sedo, Afternic, GoDaddy, but all at Make Offer prices with the same minimum offer price. That way you will never get into the trap mentioned above, because you are in control to accept/reject any offer.

•••
Thanks Domainbartender and Stub for your comments and advice. I really like the idea of having a Buy It Now price because it feels like its simplicity will encourage more sales but I don't want to get caught in the trap you guys described.

Here's what I think I will do:

Month 1
All names parked at Afternic
Godaddy - All names listed as "Make An Offer"
Sedo - All names listed as "Make An Offer"
Afternic - All names listed as "Buy Now"

Month 2
All names parked at Sedo
Godaddy - All names listed as "Make An Offer"
Sedo - All names listed as "Buy Now"
Afternic - All names listed as "Make An Offer"

Month 3
All names parked at Afternic
Godaddy - All names listed as "Buy Now"
Sedo - All names listed as "Make An Offer"
Afternic - All names listed as "Make An Offer"

Month 4
Repeat Cycle again.

If making these changes on a monthly basis seems too much maybe I could change the parking and "Buy It Now" platform every 2 months instead?

What do you think of this plan? I don't expect to make anything from parking but is there any downside to switching parking so regularly? Are there other places I should list my domains?

Thanks Again

Last edited:
•••
This still exposes you to risk. Suppose somebody makes you an offer which you accept. Then the same day somebody buys the domain at your But Now Price. Now you have sold the domain twice. You are going to piss off one of the buyers, but more importantly you will get banned by the marketplace of the buyer you piss off. For me it's not worth the risk.

This might not be a problem provided you delete the domain at the Buy Now price before you accept the Make Offer price. But, what if you are already in negotiations? You could still get into a problem and sell the domain twice. Unless you delete the Buy Now price as soon as you receive an offer. Then you will need to reinstate the Buy Now price if negotiations fall through. This problem explodes if you get offers on more than one, or several offers on several domains at once.

I think it's much more safe to only have Make Offer prices if you are selling on multiple marketplaces at the same time. But maybe you can handle the complexity. But the risk of being banned by one major marketplace will still be there.

•••
It sounds like a good plan, just be sure to remove the BIN listing before accepting any offer. The only downside as far as I can see is the time you're going to spend switching between different platforms.

•••
That's what I do. I have buy nows at one platform and make an offer at the others. Just take down the buy now when you get into negotiations. Good luck.

•••
Given Godaddy's partnership with Sedo, and recent purchase of Afternic, I think it would be good idea to program into their systems to automatically check and prevent the potential conflict from occurring.

For example, if trying to set a BIN at Afternic or Sedo, it could say that there is an already an ongoing auction at GD, please wait until it has ended or set a Make Offer listing.

•••
I appreciate everyone’s responses. For the time being I’m going to list “Buy It Now” prices on 1 platform and have “Make An Offer” listings everywhere else. As a safeguard I will remove the Buy It Now price before responding to an offer so I don’t inadvertently sell a name more than once.

Yes RazorNF, it would be great if all three platforms were connected or at least identified conflicts somehow. Maybe something like that might happen in the future (fingers crossed).

As I look at all my domains and how much work will be involved in customizing new parking pages every month I’m not sure I will actually get around to switching the parking every month; it sounds good to me in theory but in the wise words of Sweet Brown “Ain’t nobody got time for that!” LOL

:laugh:

•••
Interesting post - has me rethinking listing domains for sale with one site only.

Has anyone crossed over from sedo, afternic, godaddy into ebay auctions as well? any conflicts there?

•••
In my opinion, if you registered newly a domain than you must list your domain as Make an Offer for 6 months on multiple domain selling websites with one FREE parking platform.

If you do this than you get traffic report, which is very important to shapeup for Selling.

Promote your domains on multiple social sites.

Keep in mind early selling means getting low money but if you ripe your domain perfectly you get your expect.

Stay happy.

Last edited:
•••
So would I be able to fix my prices at unireg, make offers at sedo, goddady.
Unireg only have BIN is that correct.
My listings at Sedo are all priced, is it best to delete them and put them to market with reserve.
Thanks

•••
•••
•••
Please be noted that for GreatDomains Auction at Sedo.com, You submit your domain names to Sedo.com and you have to pay $10/ euro10 each domain for their appraisals and they will inform you which domains accepted after a few days.

•••
Thank you & also I am learning that only certain registrars are signed up to allow you to upgrade to premium ?
Uniregistry being one of them where I have a few.

•••
Simple solution: BIN at one place only. Make Offer everywhere else. If you get an offer and want to accept it, change the BIN to Make Offer and wait til sale is completed then delete said name from all marketplaces. If offer doesn't go thru, change the BIN back to your price and wait for sale.

•••
I have a lot to learn & it is refreshing to belong to a forum where people are willing to help. I belong to other non Domain related forums where quite frankly it's a closed shop.
Thanks again.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back