IT.COM

discuss .LINK binge continues

Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
".LINK is no worse than .XYZ".....like the .com loyalists despising the .xyz insurgence, the .xyz loyalists despise the .link insurgence.

While most of the really good "single word" .link domains have been registered still a few remain. For example, the day after Thanksgiving I was able to register Thankfulness.link that happens to be no worse than Thankfulness.xyz or Thankfulness.com.

In the way of an update.....domains under management aka DUM has grown from 200,000 to 221,000 since May, and 1,500 of those I've registered. In addition, i have it from some reliable sources that "Good News is Coming":xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
and therein lies a HUGE opportunity as i see it. Just for jmcc i registered StatisticalAnalysis.link being that Mike Mann's Domain Market is asking $794,888 for the .com, or they'll lease it for $33,128 for 24 months
Historically active in 16 TLDs and currently active in 6 tracked TLDs. As for the term 'fresh', it was historically active in at least 341 TLDs and is currently active in 255 TLDs. With domain names, businesses often want defensible brands. Generic words are far more difficult to protect with trademarks or service marks and the primary target TLD for most registrations of these words in the US market is .COM.

Bottom line, "the public" like jmcc is simply uninformed, and it's my goal to inform the public
A laudible goal.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I wouldn't pay to much attention to Godaddy valuations Rich.....they include a lot of wholesale prices, could be old sales etc

Fresh is a decent keyword, I like it.....

If you look at Namebio and view the end user markeplaces (Sedo, Buy Domains, Private sales etc etc) the keyword "Fresh" has the below stats.......you would need to review it more carefully and remove the keyword "refresh" from the below and maybe some other variants, but it gives a general idea

in .com it has sold 198 times at an average price of $3,169 for a total volume of $627.5k - take off the refresh.com sale of $115,000 and that brings the average price down a bit.......

Now........

in .link it has sold a grand total of 0 times on any marketplace....makes you think :unsure:

*The above is for reported sales*
I totally get it Nick, and I was just working with Namebio and the keyword "fresh". As a result I just registered two more domains; FreshPasta.link and FreshSushi.link. I now have in my .link portfolio about a dozen two word domains with the keyword "fresh" that I paid just $30 for.

Nick...you may wish to note that a few prominent domainers from across the pond have chimed in here knowing that .link is under new ownership/management. I'm sure they're more aware of what's happening behind the scene, and I'm guessing they're a little curious about my involvement.

As a result of some of what I'm learning here and as a result of my involvement with some of the new gTLD's in the past I just registered newgtld.domains. The question you may have Nick is why?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

•••
Guys, let it go.

The way i see it, @ThatNameGuy is having fun buying domains, hopefully as a hobby.
Looks like he got money to spend so that's great.
Well, if it is not a hobby to him, I am sure that is what the IRS classifies it as.

At some point you have to turn a profit to be classified as a business. :ROFL:

Brad

•••
Historically active in 16 TLDs and currently active in 6 tracked TLDs. As for the term 'fresh', it was historically active in at least 341 TLDs and is currently active in 255 TLDs. With domain names, businesses often want defensible brands. Generic words are far more difficult to protect with trademarks or service marks and the primary target TLD for most registrations of these words in the US market is .COM.

A laudible goal.

Regards...jmcc
Thanks jmcc......here in the US we spell "laudable" with an "a", and i liked your comment "a laudible goal" so much i just registered laudable.link and almost registered LaudableDomains.com:unsure:

With regards to the keyword "fresh", check out where FreshFruit.com lands. I happen to own FreshFruit.link, but whether it be Pineapples from Hawaii or Oranges from Florida you'll have to admit that "fruit" is a big deal, especially "fresh fruit":xf.wink:.

The last thing I'll share with you is that I just connected via Linkedin with a Jim Monteith whose business title shows he's been 15 years with "Linkedin Automated Outreach" Ironically he reached out to me so I can't tell you where it's headed, but I can assure you that .LINK will have something to do with it. Thanks again jmcc!

•••
Well, if it is not a hobby to him, I am sure that is what the IRS classifies it as.

At some point you have to turn a profit to be classified as a business. :ROFL:

Brad
Haven't you ever heard of a "Non Profit" Brad.....just check out the Public Interest Registry .ORG:unsure:

•••
First with regards to a "keyword", are you telling me that the guy who happens to own WordProdigy(.)com doesn't know what at keyword is?
Their generic definition is fine; it just doesn't apply within the context of domain names and SEO.

While you're talking semantics and context, I'm referring to Go Daddy's reference to keyword. Take for example the word "fresh"....here's what GD says about it;

Valuable keyword: fresh is a high value keyword that has an average sale price of $1894
That's not semantics, Rich. Understanding what keywords are, and how they relate to domain names, is a fundamental part of making sound investments. And you need to understand the more complete context. In this case that means understanding how GoDaddy calculates that "value", and also understanding that it's only a vague reference to the word alone, and does not take into account the TLD.

Joe....you and I have known all along the enduser is simply uninformed about the "keyword" phenomenon just as they are about the domain industry. As a result I own names like FreshBaked.link, FreshSeafood.link and FreshFruit.link that i paid just $2.39 each for.
It's not just a phenomenon. Keywords are the backbone of SEO and online advertising. As far as the end user is concerned, when it comes to domain names, informed buyers are generally more concerned with the brand power and authority of the names they buy (exceptions being exact match geo/product/service names and defensive purchases).

Currently there is no brand power and authority behind a .link name. You've chosen to combat this plain fact single-handedly (or have sunk thousands into the faith you have in the registry).

Finally, the renewal for Chocolate.link is a mere $118 a year, and you think I can't afford to renew it:xf.rolleyes: You have to be making this stuff up Joe.....why are you really here.
Rich, you need to read people's posts if you're going to form an intelligent response. I never said you couldn't afford it. I said the renewal cost kills the name's value. Please oh please, tell me you understand what that means after your decades in business and your five years buying domain names.

•••
Guys, let it go.

The way i see it, @ThatNameGuy is having fun buying domains, hopefully as a hobby.

If it works out for you @ThatNameGuy that's even better.

This thread is giving me a headache.
Join in on the discussion! Threads started by @ThatNameGuy are always a great platform to educate newer domainers on the hazards of over-committing to an idea without doing your due diligence.

•••
Haven't you ever heard of a "Non Profit" Brad.....just check out the Public Interest Registry .ORG:unsure:
There is a difference between a non-profit organization and a non-profitable company. :facepalm:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/hobbyloss.asp

According to the IRS, it applies the hobby loss rule to disallow losses of activities it finds likely not to be engaged in for profit. Profit must be demonstrated for three out of five consecutive tax years.

Last edited:
•••
Their generic definition is fine; it just doesn't apply within the context of domain names and SEO.

That's not semantics, Rich. Understanding what keywords are, and how they relate to domain names, is a fundamental part of making sound investments. And you need to understand the more complete context. In this case that means understanding how GoDaddy calculates that "value", and also understanding that it's only a vague reference to the word alone, and does not take into account the TLD.

It's not just a phenomenon. Keywords are the backbone of SEO and online advertising. As far as the end user is concerned, when it comes to domain names, informed buyers are generally more concerned with the brand power and authority of the names they buy (exceptions being exact match geo/product/service names and defensive purchases).

Currently there is no brand power and authority behind a .link name. You've chosen to combat this plain fact single-handedly (or have sunk thousands into the faith you have in the registry).

Rich, you need to read people's posts if you're going to form an intelligent response. I never said you couldn't afford it. I said the renewal cost kills the name's value. Please oh please, tell me you understand what that means after your decades in business and your five years buying domain names.
Joe, you and Brad are having a tuff time with me aren't you? I throw you a curve ball, and 9 times out of ten it's a swing and a miss:xf.eek:. I guess you're not use to batting 100, but that's the way the critics see it:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Guys, let it go.

If it works out for you @ThatNameGuy that's even better.

This thread is giving me a headache.
Thanks Elad....I have to admit I'm having fun, but start ups like the new .LINK are always fun. The fact this thread is attracting a lot of attention makes it even more fun, so I apologize for the headache.

98% of my domains whether they're .com's, .online's or .link's are hand regs either @ reg fee or in some cases a huge discount to reg fee. I'm not flush with cash but I do OK meaning I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Again, sorry for the headache but next time you may want to stay at a Marriott LaughInn.com where headaches aren't allowed:xf.wink:

•••
@ThatNameGuy
Can I ask you a serious question...

I thought you would have some .link names in your signature but all I saw were a bunch of names with the TM emblem. Did you TM all those names? And if so, why?

and what's a cheesecake and realty have to do with one another?

•••
Those are some amazing domains. Glad they are standard renewal.
Glad you like them Daniel....i don't think we've met. I just registered infatuation.link for a whopping $2.39 and it too renews for $8.59. And as long as Mike Mann via his brokerage Domain Market is asking $3,000,000 for Infatuation.com, i might just leave infatuation.link to you in my will. What do you say Daniel?

Seriously though, it's the nature of the domain beast that I intend to use to my advantage:unsure:

•••
Joe, you and Brad are having a tuff time with me aren't you? I throw you a curve ball, and 9 times out of ten it's a swing and a miss:xf.eek:. I guess you're not use to batting 100, but that's the way the critics see it:xf.rolleyes:
Classic response from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

1673061485369.jpeg

Let me know if you muster up the gonads to actually discuss the topic you yourself raised.

•••
@ThatNameGuy
Can I ask you a serious question...

I thought you would have some .link names in your signature but all I saw were a bunch of names with the TM emblem. Did you TM all those names? And if so, why?

and what's a cheesecake and realty have to do with one another?
Good questions Will.....if you notice I happen to be on NP restriction and as such I can't change my signature domains. With regards to the ™ a former partner (lawyer) of mine happened to do some intellectual property law to include trademarking. While I've trademarked several names myself via Legal Zoom, he was going to do this for me but he unfortunately passed away a few years ago.

Moving on to Cheesecake Realty. Have you ever heard of Lemonade Insurance?.....see Lemonade.com and you'll see what Lemonade has to do with insurance (zero) very similar to what Amazon has to do with the packages that are delivered to your door. Anyway, cheesecake is an awesome gourmet desert that most realtors I know would love to have as their signature:xf.wink:

All good questions Will, and you have yourself a Happy New Year!

•••
Good questions Will.....if you notice I happen to be on NP restriction and as such I can't change my signature domains. With regards to the ™ a former partner (lawyer) of mine happened to do some intellectual property law to include trademarking. While I've trademarked several names myself via Legal Zoom, he was going to do this for me but he unfortunately passed away a few years ago.

Moving on to Cheesecake Realty. Have you ever heard of Lemonade Insurance?.....see Lemonade.com and you'll see what Lemonade has to do with insurance (zero) very similar to what Amazon has to do with the packages that are delivered to your door. Anyway, cheesecake is an awesome gourmet desert that most realtors I know would love to have as their signature:xf.wink:

All good questions Will, and you have yourself a Happy New Year!
Rich, for a guy who claims to be a master of naming, your lack of brand name awareness is mind-boggling.

Lemonade - Clearly a play on the expression "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." Beautiful, clever, and extremely well-suited name for an insurance company.

Amazon - The largest river... the largest rainforest... the largest store. Bezos picked this name to represent being large and diverse. Another great name with a very clear link.

The question asked by @WillW is solid. How on Earth does cheesecake connect with real estate in a clever or brandable way? Could you invite one of the many realtors you know on here to explain why they would love to use it as a brand?

•••
Rich, for a guy who claims to be a master of naming, your lack of brand name awareness is mind-boggling.

Lemonade - Clearly a play on the expression "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." Beautiful, clever, and extremely well-suited name for an insurance company.

Amazon - The largest river... the largest rainforest... the largest store. Bezos picked this name to represent being large and diverse. Another great name with a very clear link.

The question asked by @WillW is solid. How on Earth does cheesecake connect with real estate in a clever or brandable way? Could you invite one of the many realtors you know on here to explain why they would love to use it as a brand?
Following the education by @ThatNameGuy of taking unrelated things to create a great brand I have come up with -

CarrotCakeInsurance.com
PoundCakeHealthcare.com

and my personal favorite -
MoltenChocolateCakeBank.com

Best of all, these gems were available to hand reg!!! :ROFL:

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Another reason for the choice is that Bezos wanted "az" in it. To indicate the complete index of all books (and eventually other products). So much so that there logo is an arrow connecting a to z.

•••
With regards to the keyword "fresh", check out where FreshFruit.com lands. I happen to own FreshFruit.link, but whether it be Pineapples from Hawaii or Oranges from Florida you'll have to admit that "fruit" is a big deal, especially "fresh fruit"
The phrase 'fresh fruit' is popular. However, you seem to be going overboard with the whole Semantic Web idea. I've spent the last few days crunching the keyword data for approximately 788 million domain names. Good domain names tend to be registered across many TLDs.

A lot of TLDs see many one year wonders. These are domain names that are often registered at a discount, not renewed and never reregistered. Approximately 65% of 2021 .LINK registrations will not be renewed. While it is not the worst of the new gTLDs, the problem is that it hasn't the volume, and therfore brand awareness, of new gTLDs like .XYZ or .CLUB. A quick comparison between the 01 December 2017 and 01 December 2022 zone files for .LINK shows that 83.21% of 2017 domain names are not in the 2022 zone file. As a group, 80.88% of New gTLD domain names from December 2017 have been deleted. With .COM, the deletion % is 37.58%. While there has been an ownership change on .LINK, it is not quite in the same league as the legacy gTLDs. It is not as bad as .LOAN which went from 2,163,338 in December 2017 to just 2,247 registrations in 2022.

The last thing I'll share with you is that I just connected via Linkedin with a Jim Monteith whose business title shows he's been 15 years with "Linkedin Automated Outreach" Ironically he reached out to me so I can't tell you where it's headed, but I can assure you that .LINK will have something to do with it. Thanks again jmcc!
Don't think that he is from Linkedin.

The next round of new gTLDs could see Linkedin registering its own gTLD and selling example . linkedin type domain names.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Another reason for the choice is that Bezos wanted "az" in it. To indicate the complete index of all books (and eventually other products). So much so that there logo is an arrow connecting a to z.
Ironically prior to JB naming his business Amazon it was to be Cadabra, another three syllable word that I thought made even more sense. I liked hearing the story so much I even registered the domain CadabraGolf🏌️‍♂️com

Then talking about fun, i even thought of registering CadabraDomains.com, but on second thought i just knew my friends here on NP couldn't handle all the fun and names I bring:xf.eek:

•••
A lot of TLDs see many one year wonders. These are domain names that are often registered at a discount, not renewed and never reregistered. Approximately 65% of 2021 .LINK registrations will not be renewed. While it is not the worst of the new gTLDs, the problem is that it hasn't the volume, and therfore brand awareness, of new gTLDs like .XYZ or .CLUB. A quick comparison between the 01 December 2017 and 01 December 2022 zone files for .LINK shows that 83.21% of 2017 domain names are not in the 2022 zone file. As a group, 80.88% of New gTLD domain names from December 2017 have been deleted. With .COM, the deletion % is 37.58%. While there has been an ownership change on .LINK, it is not quite in the same league as the legacy gTLDs. It is not as bad as .LOAN which went from 2,163,338 in December 2017 to just 2,247 registrations in 2022.
Thanks for the detailed statistical analysis. Very interesting.

Man that drop on .loan is incredible.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the detailed statistical analysis. Very interesting.

Man that drop on .loan is incredible.

Brad
Those are the Quick Delta 5 percentages. They measure the number of domain names from the old zone file that are still in the recent zone file. Of the 2M or so domain names from December 2017, only 2,247 of them were left in the December 2022 zone. Most of the registrations in .LOAN back then were on Chinese registrars. Alpnames was there too but about 1.8M were on Alibaba. They were discounted registrations and were not going to renew at full fee. The December 2022 count for .LOAN was 7,213 but the collapse in volume is still amazing.

The plural, .LOANS is an Identity Digital gTLD and didn't use discounting. Of its 3,462 December 2017 regs, 1,879 were still in the December 2022 zone. That's only a 45.73% deletion. The .LOANS count was 5,486.

TLDs are not unchanging monoliths and some of the new gTLDs can go through almost complete zone replacement in a year. That's an indication of speculative registrations and heavy discounting.

The ccTLDs and the legacy gTLDs tend to be better in terms of retention. When used badly, discounting can destroy web usage in a TLD. From running full TLD web usage surveys on the new gTLDs at the time, I think that .LOAN rarely had more than 3K developed websites. The rest were either inactive or Chinese gambling/porn affiliate landers.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Ironically prior to JB naming his business Amazon it was to be Cadabra, another three syllable word that I thought made even more sense. I liked hearing the story so much I even registered the domain CadabraGolf🏌️‍♂️com

Then talking about fun, i even thought of registering CadabraDomains.com, but on second thought i just knew my friends here on NP couldn't handle all the fun and names I bring:xf.eek:
Another winner, Rich. The reason they steered away from Cadabra is because the reference to magic was found to be too obscure. It also sounded like "cadaver" to some people.

•••

Zero reported sales ever starting with that term. Best of luck!

Brad

•••
Zero reported sales ever starting with that term. Best of luck!

Brad

Au contraire, Brad. I think CadabraGolf has some potential. Could be a special golfing bra for ladies. And even for guys measuring the performance, heart beat and other vitals. Heck, it could even tell you when to hit the ball based on the patterns.

•••
The phrase 'fresh fruit' is popular. However, you seem to be going overboard with the whole Semantic Web idea. I've spent the last few days crunching the keyword data for approximately 788 million domain names. Good domain names tend to be registered across many TLDs.

Don't think that he is from Linkedin.

The next round of new gTLDs could see Linkedin registering its own gTLD and selling example . linkedin type domain names.

Regards...jmcc
jmcc....i'm not sure what you meant about "going overboard with the whole Semantic Web idea", but i guess you mean by registering hundreds of TLD's similar to FreshFruit.link, FreshStart.link, FreshMade.link etc. If it weren't for the fact they're just $2.39 each, and the single word Premium names like Chocolate.link, Fruit.link and Seniors.link are $118 each i just couldn't afford what I consider a calculated risk vs. reward investment.

Thanks for sharing your stats regarding the .LOAN debacle, and I know the very same thing can happen with .LINK, however having experience in the financial services industry, I see the .loan TLD as being very limiting as compared to the more generic and all encompacing .link TLD. I realized just how fucked up this industry was/is when Blake Janover paid 500K for Home.loans back in 2018, and another friend of mine paid 500K for Vacation.rentals also back in 2018. I met both of these guys at Namescon in Vegas that year, and it was all I could do to keep from telling them how crazy I thought their domain deals were. Even back then I wouldn't have paid more than 2K to at the most 10K for either of those domains.

Also, i don't believe the guy I connected with on Linkedin is actually with Linkedin, but rather he uses Linkedin to promote his own business similar to the way you might use Facebook to promote your business. That said however, I plan to use Linkedin to help promote my .LINK business regardless of whether they endorse me or not.

Finally jmcc, i intend to buy your book Domnomics this weekend and read it next week. Thanks again for everything:xf.wink:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back