Domain Empire

discuss .LINK binge continues

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
".LINK is no worse than .XYZ".....like the .com loyalists despising the .xyz insurgence, the .xyz loyalists despise the .link insurgence.

While most of the really good "single word" .link domains have been registered still a few remain. For example, the day after Thanksgiving I was able to register Thankfulness.link that happens to be no worse than Thankfulness.xyz or Thankfulness.com.

In the way of an update.....domains under management aka DUM has grown from 200,000 to 221,000 since May, and 1,500 of those I've registered. In addition, i have it from some reliable sources that "Good News is Coming":xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I know you're pulling for me Brad or you wouldn't be here. Remember, DowntheHatch.com? I see where you've owned it now for over 20+ years....how cool/stupid is that? It's been almost four years ago that I hand registered the domain DowntheCatch.com and it's been listed @ Epik ever since.....how cool/stupid is that?

My point is that unless Step 2 is ever deployed it's unlikely we'll ever sell our domains.....how cool/stupid is that:banghead:

Keep pulling/praying for me Brad....the domain industry like Twitter is ripe for change:unsure:
It is just silly in my view when marketplaces already exist like Afternic, SEDO, Dan.com, etc. to never list the domains for sale.

You don't need a partner to simply list domains for sale. Without being listed and/or using for sale landers, it doesn't give them much of a chance to sell.

It is kind of like having a car for sale, but not advertising it anywhere, and keeping it parked in your garage.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
What could of been Rich.......

With the budget you had/have you could of built an impressive portfolio of .com | 1 word .org | 1 word .io or any other decent extension..... even one or several outstanding one word .com domains for the money you have spent - you had/have the pockets to build a really strong portfolio.....

You know what they say about pride?......swallow it, stop fighting these perceived injustices, stop rebelling against what works to try and prove a point and do the simple things - I'm dam sure if you did this and followed the good advice that people have shared you will do very well.......which would be nice to see....

Buy a good domain and pay someone to set up a good website, if you don't want to use Afternic or Sedo... you can even get them to list your domains on there and set up Escrow and/or DAN for payments for you - invest in quality domains and then use LinkedIn and any other vehicle you want and put that marketing expertise to good use.....

People have spent a lot of time sharing their expertise with you - helped me learn a few things following these threads for the last few years....hopefully the penny drops at some point

•••

With the budget you had/have you could of built an impressive portfolio of .com | 1 word .org | 1 word .io or any other decent extension..... even one or several outstanding one word .com domains for the money you have spent - you had/have the pockets to build a really strong portfolio.....

You know what they say about pride?......swallow it, stop fighting these perceived injustices, stop rebelling against what works to try and prove a point and do the simple things - I'm dam sure if you did this and followed the good advice that people have shared you will do very well.......which would be nice to see....

Buy a good domain and pay someone to set up a good website, if you don't want to use Afternic or Sedo... you can even get them to list your domains on there and set up Escrow and/or DAN for payments for you - invest in quality domains and then use LinkedIn and any other vehicle you want and put that marketing expertise to good use.....

People have spent a lot of time sharing their expertise with you - helped me learn a few things following these threads for the last few years....hopefully the penny drops at some point
Yeah, it is a lot easier to make sales when you go where demand is.

If your business model requires a paradigm shift to work, that is kind of swimming upstream for no reason.

Brad

•••

"You know what they say about pride?".....swallow it" Nick, this is what you may say about pride, but I recently hand registered the domain PrideIsCheap.com. Why? Because Bill Powell, an African American golf course developer said "Pride is cheap, it doesn't cost anything to have pride". I suggest you google Bill Powell and you'll also learn from his Wiki page that he was fond of saying, "The Only Color that Matters is the Color of the Greens". Bill Powell and his daughter Renee Powell, PGA professional are the sort of heroes in life we should all look up to, I know i do. Nick, i too have spent a lot of time sharing my expertise with you, and I'm sorry it's not appreciated.

•••
•••
This time it's different Joe? How so......just like there are no two snow flakes exactly alike, no two startups are exactly alike, and i should know having started dozens of businesses.

When applying the SWOT analysis to my latest venture/.link, my greatest strength is that I believe in myself. While you like to point out my failures, i focus on my successes both in life and in business. That said however I do learn from my failures of which I've had a few. So how is my venture into the .link business different? First, i don't know if you've ever been involved with or participated in a turnaround of anything Joe, but i have:xf.wink: I first noticed .LINK when domain investor Yoni Belousov purchased the new gTLD from Frank Schilling of Uniregistry the first of this year. Bottomline, .link was a big mess. Schilling had given up on .link and left many of their Premium domains on the table......by that I mean I was able to register dozens of Premium domains like Nursing.link for $118 in June of this year that were dropped by Uniregistry way back in 2017.

Moving on, having been a member of Linkedin for over 10 years I felt a special connection to the keyword link. I felt even more of a connection when I learned that Linkedin has 875 Million members all over the world.

Finally, i have the financial where with all to renew most if not all of my portfolio annually regardless of whether I make a single sale. Like I said in my previous post.....i'm in it to WIN IT:xf.wink:
None of that makes this venture even a little different from your other ones, Rich. It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Your other ventures always started by you "noticing" a great opportunity in the extension.

Your other ventures always relied on working with a massive, unrealistic partner/business in some vague and unrealistic way.

Your other ventures were always so promising, that while you were promoting them, you claimed a willingness to renew many of your names.

@NickB has some great advice for you above. Put that business experience to work and make a real plan.

•••
what is this dot-link anyways, like a link to something? don't all domains have the capacity for that. #soconfused

and if one owns a link, is it just the link or the domain they own? do you have to pay to click the link. does it take you to a skating rink? can u link a rink?

•••
I thought you weren't following me? There is no opposite of SWOT:xf.rolleyes:

The world doesn't resolve around you Richard.

Back in the day, we used to do swot analysis. Bit outdated. Better options available, especially if you're trying to accomplish what you state you are. Just saying.

Last edited:
•••
In addition to my previous remark, I think you're clueless. You're a dinosaur out of touch with reality with too much money to waste.

You picked up some knowledge which was actually fitting a decade or 2/3 ago. Nowadays, not so much.

On the bright side, you probably made the crossover from a BBS > newsgroup > LinkedIn at the right time.

Unfortunately for you, LinkedIn is for professionals, not for people who have retired.

•••
what is this dot-link anyways, like a link to something? don't all domains have the capacity for that. #soconfused

and if one owns a link, is it just the link or the domain they own? do you have to pay to click the link. does it take you to a skating rink? can u link a rink?
I luv the #soconfused:xf.wink: In the internet/domain world a link is simply a means to an end/destination/website. com, net, org,online,tech and even golf are a means to an end.

Definition;

NOUN

1. a relationship between two things or situations, especially where one thing affects the other

•••
None of that makes this venture even a little different from your other ones, Rich. It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Your other ventures always started by you "noticing" a great opportunity in the extension.

Your other ventures always relied on working with a massive, unrealistic partner/business in some vague and unrealistic way.

Your other ventures were always so promising, that while you were promoting them, you claimed a willingness to renew many of your names.

@NickB has some great advice for you above. Put that business experience to work and make a real plan.
Oh Joe......things are different every time you attempt to do anything. In case you haven't noticed .link is different than .online, .online is different than .homes and .org is different than .com:xf.rolleyes:

Now i'm sure you read this from the Domain Name Wire;

"New owners of .Link have big plans: it’s about more than just websites"​

If you haven't read it I'd suggest you read it again. While I have reasons of my own separate from those of .Link New owners, i understand why they purchased the broken down gTLD from Frank Schilling's Uniregistry.

Finally, you know as well as I do that a savvy entrepreneur can build a profitable multi million dollar business behind a name like Dollar.link. Joe, you probably remember me saying that a friend of mine Macon Brock who founded Dollar Tree in 1990 made personally over a Billion dollars selling "stuff" for a buck.

Thanks Joe:xf.wink:

•••
The world doesn't resolve around you Richard.

Back in the day, we used to do swot analysis. Bit outdated. Better options available, especially if you're trying to accomplish what you state you are. Just saying.
It doesn't evolve around you either....you're so smart I'd suggest you research the following;

New gTLDs SWOT Analysis: STRENGTHS​

The SWOT analysis (alternatively SWOT Matrix) is a structured planning method used to evaluate the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats involved in a project or in a business venture (source Wikipedia).

A good friend and former competitor of mine in business has always said, "If you're searching for a new idea, read an old book"

Get your head out of the sand branding or you'll suffocate.

•••
Oh Joe......things are different every time you attempt to do anything. In case you haven't noticed .link is different than .online, .online is different than .homes and .org is different than .com:xf.rolleyes:
There's nothing wrong with having conviction in the potential of an unpopular extension, Rich. It's your process that needs a make-over. You keep trying the same thing that has not been working.

•••
It is just silly in my view when marketplaces already exist like Afternic, SEDO, Dan.com, etc. to never list the domains for sale.

You don't need a partner to simply list domains for sale. Without being listed and/or using for sale landers, it doesn't give them much of a chance to sell.

It is kind of like having a car for sale, but not advertising it anywhere, and keeping it parked in your garage.

Brad
or like putting your house up for sale and not putting a sign in the front yard or listing it anywhere:banghead:. Frankly I haven't done it because the sell through rate is so low I've considered it a big waste of my time. That said, most of my .online names were listed at Afternic and I barely sold enough to breakeven....and I told you what happened after I purchased the domain Reservations.online @ GD>:(

Finally, i'm waiting for the new owners of .LINK to bring it out of the closet if you know what I mean. Brad, you may be too young, but do you remember the turnaround story of Lee Iacocco and Chrysler? How about the Apple turnaround? Marvel? and the list goes on.

Thanks Brad for the advice(y)

•••
from the article:

Only time will tell if the company can link .link domains to something bigger.

What's the bigger thingamajig? I'm not understanding the need to own multiple extensions to post links in bios and blogs, when all DN's can be a link anyways.

The only problem I have with dot-link, and why I never went in deep with it, is the name itself. LINK is limiting in it's presentation to end users and buyers because it really just brings one thing to mind: linking something. Kinda boring and seems pure utility. Reminiscent of dot-tel, dot-info and dot-mobi.

Not ruling out great, exciting keywords that combine with it better than other extensions; those indeed could set it above others. There is a user on here that has owned blockchain(.)link for years, which is a great domain.

•••
Finally, i'm waiting for the new owners of .LINK to bring it out of the closet if you know what I mean. Brad, you may be too young, but do you remember the turnaround story of Lee Iacocco and Chrysler? How about the Apple turnaround? Marvel? and the list goes on.

Thanks Brad for the advice(y)
Sure, but I don't see the comparison between cars and domains.

Pretty much everyone needs transportation. Most average people don't really need a domain.
The potential buyer pool for cars is almost infinitely larger.

There are hundreds of other extensions that all had big plans, that didn't work.
.XYZ is really the only new gTLD which has gained much resale value.

I think the odds are very low that .link is the future. Why is it better than any of the other countless new extensions? All the new extensions are fighting over the same small piece of pie.

As far as listing domains for sale, selling 1% or 2% beats 0%.

It just doesn't make sense to have items intended for resale, then not list them where people would be able to see them.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It doesn't evolve around you either....you're so smart I'd suggest you research the following;

New gTLDs SWOT Analysis: STRENGTHS​

A good friend and former competitor of mine in business has always said, "If you're searching for a new idea, read an old book"

Proving my point basically.

That quote doesn't mean mere copying an old idea will make it a new one. Read an old book, use an old idea and build on that to create a better and improved model.

You may find a SOAR analysis more fitting. Old concept (swot), improved model. Good luck.

•••

Pretty much everyone needs transportation. Most average people don't really need a domain.

There are hundreds of other extensions that all had big plans, that didn't work.

I think the odds are very low that .link is the future. Why is it better than any of the other countless new extensions? All the new extensions are fighting over the same small piece of pie.

It just doesn't make sense to have items intended for resale, then not list them where people would be able to see them.

Brad
Brad....i've never said that ".link is the future" However I have said it's a viable alternative when .com is neither available, or it's so overpriced it's unaffordable. Thousands of
Proving my point basically.

That quote doesn't mean mere copying an old idea will make it a new one. Read an old book, use an old idea and build on that to create a better and improved model.

You may find a SOAR analysis more fitting. Old concept (swot), improved model. Good luck.
Never 2 old to learn:xf.wink: SWOT vs. SOAR

SWOT
Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats
Competitive Mindset
Strategic Improvement on Weaknesses
Management-focus on areas to improve
Tactical Action Plan
Focus on Limitations

SOAR
Strengths, Opportunities, Aspirations, Results
Collaborative Mindset
Strategic Improvement built on Strength
Leadership- focus on what we do Best
Vision Based Action Plan
Focus on Possibilities

Both Analysis are good depending what they're being used for. As a result looking to register SWOTAnalysis.link and SOARAnalysis.link. Also Focustrak®.com

•••
Brad....i've never said that ".link is the future" However I have said it's a viable alternative when .com is neither available, or it's so overpriced it's unaffordable. Thousands of

Never 2 old to learn:xf.wink: SWOT vs. SOAR

SWOT
Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats
Competitive Mindset
Strategic Improvement on Weaknesses
Management-focus on areas to improve
Tactical Action Plan
Focus on Limitations

SOAR
Strengths, Opportunities, Aspirations, Results
Collaborative Mindset
Strategic Improvement built on Strength
Leadership- focus on what we do Best
Vision Based Action Plan
Focus on Possibilities

Both Analysis are good depending what they're being used for. As a result looking to register SWOTAnalysis.link and SOARAnalysis.link. Also Focustrak®.com

You will find SOAR is more fitting when you're launching. Get a clear focus and make sure to have measurable targets.

Let's say, 'can do' approach.

Once you're up and running, go and look into threads and weaknesses to improve your business model.

Let's say, 'can do better' approach.

Layman's terms but you get the gist.

•••
You will find SOAR is more fitting when you're launching. Get a clear focus and make sure to have measurable targets.

Let's say, 'can do' approach.

Once you're up and running, go and look into threads and weaknesses to improve your business model.

Let's say, 'can do better' approach.

Layman's terms but you get the gist.
From a pure business perspective I've always known there's room for improvement. With regards to 'can do', I actually own the domain CanDoGolf.com.

A guy I met earlier via this thread Jean Guillon of Jovenet Consulting is 'Big Time' into gTLD's and in particular SWOT Analysis. It's because of him that I hand registered these three domains just a few minutes ago;

FreeConsulting.link
FreeLabor.link
FreeServices.link

A friend of mine from China happens to own Free.link and if you check, both 'free' and 'link' are keywords according to GD:xf.wink: Speaking of "viable alternatives" for .com, the .com extensions for these domain names are ALL for sale ranging from $19,000 for FreeServices.com to $69,000 for FreeLabor.com.

Remember....the best things in life are FREE......even Linkedin(y)

•••

Brad
Again Brad. i didn't say .link is the future. However I did say that .link is a "viable alternative" for .com when the equivalent isn't available for a variety of reasons......i'll name them if you'd like.

Lets use Free.com as an example. This is a domain, if you were to access it you'd find they offer more "free stuff" than anyone on the web....and although I don't know their business model or how they make money, i think they do just fine. Moving on, you'll find that both 'free' and 'link' are keywords according to GD and a friend I've made in ShangHai happens to own the domain Free.link. Personally I like it so much I've registered a dozen or so two word domains that have a .com equivalent that in most cases is NOT being used like;

EatFree.link
FreeRent.link
FreeConsulting.link
FreeWine.link
FreeTickets.link
FreeFlights.link
CruiseFree.link
FreeCruise.link

Finally Brad....domain names like these left of the dot are ALL great names, and they deserve exposure. I spent some quality time with my rep at GD today on the phone and he's agreed to help me. A New Year resolution of mine will be to have all my names listed at places like Afternic and DAN by January 31st, 2023. Wish me luck Brad....i know you believe in me:xf.wink:

•••
Again Brad. i didn't say .link is the future. However I did say that .link is a "viable alternative" for .com when the equivalent isn't available for a variety of reasons......i'll name them if you'd like.
I'd be more interested in hearing why .link is a better alternative than any other new TLD.

•••
I'd be more interested in hearing why .link is a better alternative than any other new TLD.
Yes, that is the key point.

What makes it better than any of the almost countless other alternatives?

Brad

•••
What makes it better than any of the almost countless other alternatives?
Because Rich says so.

And Rich is a visionary. In fact, Rich is such a great visionary that his wife had to bail him out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back