Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

brandnow

Selling hotcakesTop Member
Impact
I know it's a bit premature, but I really would like to read opinions from NamePros people on .web. It feel like most opinions I read on blogs and forums are overall very positive about .web's success. I am curious what people think though. If you think that .web will really be a huge success or whether all of the hype about .web might cause it to fall short of exceptions. Do you think someday will become almost an equal to .com? Or do you think .web will become just another nGTLD?

Personally, since first hearing about .web I thought.. awesome that might be able to one day match .com in attractiveness to domain investors and some end users. However, over the last few months I've seen so much hype, that I am also starting to feel concerned that .web will not live up to the hype of being the killer nGTLD.

Obviously only time will tell the answers for sure. But now is an interesting time where it is several months before the .WEB release, and there is time to contemplate and discuss about it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm sure '.web' was considered when deciding a name/string for the very first generic TLD 31 years ago but it just so happened to be '.com'

If '.web' was decided 31 years ago, then '.com' could very well have ended up some kind of new gTLD with high renewal fees and belittled as a poor alternative to the king .web

.com is king because it was the first truly generic unrestricted gTLD introduced for worldwide commercial use.

By the time newer TLDs were introduced and some even becoming less restrictive it was all too late because .com had already cherry picked the biggest companies and entities in the world many who were already established for decades or even hundreds of years, this truly cannot happen again and that's why .com gained a reputation second to none.

.web has a chance of coming second IMO

•••
i think every word or phrase that would fit with .web, will probably be reserved for premium registration or listed for auction.

cuz, dey gots ta get dey dough back

imo....

•••
does any know how many pre-regs in .web?

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
@Rick Schwartz Will you invest on .web extension?
Go to Rick's blog, you can see what he wrote on his view on the extension, but I will safely guess you already have....hence the loaded question, smh.

•••
@Rick Schwartz Will you invest on .web extension?

I don't know. I look at all gTLD's as a horse race. If I go to the track what are the chances of picking a trifecta? And that is with 10-15 .horses.

How do I pick the top 3 with 1000 .horses?
There will be 997 .horses that don't make the top 3.
975 .horses that won't make the top 25.

.Web is the odds on favorite for many reasons. Why do you think all those lawsuits are for?
SELF PRESERVATION!

Because when it comes out, will suck ALL the oxygen out of the room. It won't help the other gTLD's. It can and will destroy many. Consolidation is already here. Predicted that 3 years ago.

I don't know, but .web may be another .net. It may also become the REAL .com alternative. We will see how many here have the $$$ left to play in that arena. That is the BIGGIE!

•••
I don't know, but .web may be another .net. It may also become the REAL .com alternative. We will see how many here have the $$$ left to play in that arena. That is the BIGGIE!

Do you have any information on release time of dot Web?

Just a little gesture from a namePros member: :xf.smile:

You have a typo on your website domainking.com - You might want to fix it.

Where:

Most Recent 2016-2017 Acquisitions:

CAMPAIGNADVISOR.COM.COM

•••
Do you have any information on release time of dot Web?

Just a little gesture from a namePros member: :xf.smile:

You have a typo on your website domainking.com - You might want to fix it.

Where:

Most Recent 2016-2017 Acquisitions:

CAMPAIGNADVISOR.COM.COM
May be it's a new gtld gtld that we don't know off

•••
I don't know. I look at all gTLD's as a horse race. If I go to the track what are the chances of picking a trifecta? And that is with 10-15 .horses.
How do I pick the top 3 with 1000 .horses?
There will be 997 .horses that don't make the top 3.
975 .horses that won't make the top 25.
I think same counts for .Com as well.
There are millions of domains registered with .Com
The probability to register good names today after the establishment of dot com back in 1985 doesn`t give domainers much chance to pick a winning horse.

But for new gTLD investors, there is and will be more opportunities if they invest on domains smartly.

•••
My best guess is that it will behave like .online or .site - maybe a little better because it's shorter.

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
Waiting on pricing / renewal....if its in line with .com possibly a bit more and hype builds, it could be the real deal.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back