IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch

brandnow

Selling hotcakesTop Member
Impact
I know it's a bit premature, but I really would like to read opinions from NamePros people on .web. It feel like most opinions I read on blogs and forums are overall very positive about .web's success. I am curious what people think though. If you think that .web will really be a huge success or whether all of the hype about .web might cause it to fall short of exceptions. Do you think someday will become almost an equal to .com? Or do you think .web will become just another nGTLD?

Personally, since first hearing about .web I thought.. awesome that might be able to one day match .com in attractiveness to domain investors and some end users. However, over the last few months I've seen so much hype, that I am also starting to feel concerned that .web will not live up to the hype of being the killer nGTLD.

Obviously only time will tell the answers for sure. But now is an interesting time where it is several months before the .WEB release, and there is time to contemplate and discuss about it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hype bro. remember, .onl didn't succeed.

•••
hype bro. remember, .onl didn't succeed.

That's an interesting example with .onl. And I agree!!! Last June I bought into .ONL (I think after it got released). But what total disappointment!

•••
personally liked that extension a lot. I have several one word dots. But unless there is a large amount of development happens in that area, it is only set for dropping.

•••
I don't see the point of this TLD. Do we really need a cousin for .net ?
Semantic analysis: the 'web' is just one component of what we know as the Internet. Thus, the TLD is as relevant as .mail, .chat or .ftp imo.

If you are waiting for a dotcom killer, it will never come.

•••
I don't see the point of this TLD. Do we really need a cousin for .net ?
Semantic analysis: the 'web' is just one component of what we know as the Internet. Thus, the TLD is as relevant as .mail, .chat or .ftp imo.

If you are waiting for a dotcom killer, it will never come.

But I'm wondering if you are also saying, in addition to .web being pointless, that .web might have as much value as .net?

•••
No way.
The only thing in favor of .web is the geek factor, a bit like .io domains today, but to a very limited extent.
But domain extensions cannot thrive just on fads.

•••
I don't own any domain in the new gTLD but .web is the best one. I would not compare it with .onl!
If it comes with a reg fee of $20-30 it may loose some market, the best thing is to go with the same price as old gTLDs.

•••
Hello,

As .COM has such a unique position in the TLD family, I also think it might be somewhat comparable with .NET. Personally, I prefer the more niched new gTLDs as they (hopefully) will attract a certain unique market and use. However, I will try to get as many good .WEB as I can. I think the competition will be harsh though. It seems like .WEB is rather hyped. For logical reasons, as it is so generic.

•••
Hello,

As .COM has such a unique position in the TLD family, I also think it might be somewhat comparable with .NET. Personally, I prefer the more niched new gTLDs as they (hopefully) will attract a certain unique market and use. However, I will try to get as many good .WEB as I can. I think the competition will be harsh though. It seems like .WEB is rather hyped. For logical reasons, as it is so generic.

I agree the competition among us is sure to be fierce :D

•••
onl? Never heard anybody talking about that one even having a chance, plus 3 syllables

.web will be the #1 registered new gtld, easy. It's on the most watched lists for a reason. Most new gtlds are niche and can't ever get good numbers. The generics to this point have been pretty bad, click, link, xyz.

.com - should have never been mentioned with any of these. .net didn't even hit 10% of .com registrations. Did somebody think one of these new ones was going to jump .net and take on King Com? I can understand it being used to SELL, give you hope that it's the next Gold Rush you missed out on in the mid 90's, but it's just marketing, nothing else.

Seriously, pick 1 new gtld that you think will have more regs than .web. It's the most generic, 1 syllable, easy to spell/remember one out there. It's kind of like a .net jr. to me or it's illegitimate kid.

Last edited:
•••
onl? Never heard anybody talking about that one even having a chance, plus 3 syllables

.web will be the #1 registered new gtld, easy. It's on the most watched lists for a reason. Most new gtlds are niche and can't ever get good numbers. The generics to this point have been pretty bad, click, link, xyz.

.com - should have never been mentioned with any of these. .net didn't even hit 10% of .com registrations. Did somebody think one of these new ones was going to jump .net and take on King Com? I can understand it being used to SELL, give you hope that it's the next Gold Rush you missed out on in the mid 90's, but it's just marketing, nothing else.

Seriously, pick 1 new gtld that you think will have more regs than .web. It's the most generic, 1 syllable, easy to spell/remember one out there. It's kind of like a .net jr. to me or it's illegitimate kid.

This is the best argument I've heard in favor of investing heavily for .web. Either go big with .web or go home. Glad to get different viewpoints in this thread.

•••
Slighty better than .net. It's the best new generic. We will see if generics are the future or not. I'm not sure of the second tier generics and their future. Have yet to research this among different generations and cultures.

They will have to market this if they want a few % of the domain cake.

•••
To me .web is just a much lamer .net. It is basically the same term semantically with no history of awareness, usage, or credibility.

It might appeal to domainers, but I don't think many end users are going to pay a major premium for it.

It is likely to just be lost in the sea of endless other new extensions.

Brad

•••
I think, eventually, all these new funny TLD's will just fizzle out and everyone will just use .com only again.

Then again, I think they're here to stay and can serve a practical purpose in that they are very user friendly and descriptive. Example anyone seeing mydog.club is instantly going to know what the site is about.

As for .web I think its more ideal for webmasters, IT blogs or anything online really because .web is quite general term isn't it.

Regards.

•••
As for .web I think its more ideal for webmasters, IT blogs or anything online really because .web is quite general term isn't it.

Regards.

That's a good point.

•••
I don't think .web will live up to the hype, It's a bit redundant just like .online. I'd rather go with the tried and true .net if I was a startup considering .web

How many times do you hear "I seen it on the web" or "Find us on the web". "Web" is a dated phrase, people refer to the internet as "the net" for short, again .net

•••
to me new gtlds serve the purpose of organizing the internet, bringing a bit of order to the chaos. .web to me does not offer itself to this type of solution. The only purpose it serves is offering an opportunity to get some nice one word names that were taken long long ago in the .com/.net/.org extensions. There will be some big sales, but those names will be snatched up in the first hour of the first day, if even available there, as landrush will be big with this extension.

•••
Yeah thats true, people were clambering over .club when it was first released literally saying shut up and take my money to the registrars and Nominet never had it so good ever since.

.web could be useful in some occasions where its helpful such as linksonthe.web as a directory or more professional side.

Some people say tld matters and some say it doesn't. Lets be honest though, .com might have the most "authority" but that's only because there's so many of them. Look at .info when that was first released, it was used by spammers a lot but today is a fairly more reputable TLD and there are some good sites using .info. I should know I bought a couple for pennies and sold some for 5 figures back in the day.

And the other side of it is, well its good to be different isn't it? Ya know. Do something new. Something that you're competitors aren't doing. Or at the very least, experimenting and trying new things as that's what it's all about and how some of even the most biggest top 100 sites have come about.

But with all these other TLDs that are marketed, I fear it's spurred the onset of a billion new parked domains and redundant neglected sites by many newbie webmasters and pros alike that have bought into the fun and quirkiness side of it only to sell them on here after. xD

•••
youdontknowjack.web

(Only the old folks will get that one.)

•••
•••
I think it could quickly gain traction. As a generic term, it'll comfortably accommodate keywords, acronyms and numbers, and is as synonymous with the internet as '.net' is, and understood around the world.
If the Chinese are already starting to embrace '.top', I imagine '.web' will also be adopted. 8877.web anyone?

•••
Exact worldwide

web - 7,480,000
net - 5,000,000

Pretty well known term. I think it'll easily do better than .co, which was 1.6 million last time I bothered to check, but won't get anywhere near .net. Think it could beat .biz as well, maybe challenge .info. And easily blowout any of the other new gtlds. Just talking reg numbers, development, public awareness, who knows.

It's a bit redundant just like .online. I'd rather go with the tried and true .net if I was a startup considering .web

Web is closer to net than online easily, basically the same word. So the same amount of redundancy as .net.

If it comes out open and a good price, market it right, GD Superbowl commercials etc. they can blow it out.

to me new gtlds serve the purpose of organizing the internet, bringing a bit of order to the chaos.

Seems to me the opposite, more chaos. There are so many we have a thread here asking what's your favorite new gtld and some are posting their favorites, then others are coming posting that they didn't even know it was out. Plural, singular of same word, how many different photo ones are there now? That just adds confusion, try marketing one of those and getting people to remember plural vs. singular. yoursite.photo or yoursite.photos, property or properties

We'll see, I'm just curious to see if/when this ever comes out.

Last edited:
•••
I think that .web will be hyped and heavily invested in by the domainer community. It may get many registrations but personally I wonder about the resale market from an investor standpoint. I personally like the niche category extensions for investment purposes.

•••
i think .web will be a relative success compared to the other nTLDs. It may however not be as successful as the hype may suggest. I don't think it will threaten .org or .net anytime soon.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back