IT.COM

new gtlds Let's talk about HOW we are going to sell them!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
...To end users. Everyone understands .com. HOW do you explain to an end user the value of the new extensions...especially hacks and 'spanning the dot'?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
wait for the value and opportunity to become more evident. Then wait for another few years.

•••
How is the magic word.

You just do it. ;)

First, what's your definition of "End User"? Some one who doesn't need a gTLD? Or the opposite, some one who needs ones? If the latter, then they already understand the value :P Then it's simply a matter of supply/price/etc.

Cheerio.

•••
Outbound marketing efforts to a company whose internet presence is either a Facebook page, Twitter handle, Youtube channel or newbie-quality domain name are likely to be unsuccessful - particularly if you are promoting your better names and want a fair price for them. Inbound inquiries have a better chance of converting into sales and at that point you don't really have to sell the name - just the price.

•••
...To end users. Everyone understands .com. HOW do you explain to an end user the value of the new extensions...especially hacks and 'spanning the dot'?

Bribes. Or throw in an Amazon gift card or something. Years ago (first year domaining) I emailed about a .me I had, the response was, "what is a .me?" It's not something I'll ever have to explain with a .com, it's why it's the only thing I buy nowadays. However hard it is to sell .coms, multiply that many times over with these new ones. Unless they contact you first, it's going to be a big struggle.

•••
Katie Couric didn't know what an "@" was back in 1994. I'm surprised that whole wacky email thing even took off!

•••
Katie Couric didn't know what an "@" was back in 1994. I'm surprised that whole wacky email thing even took off!

It was a thousand different symbols when there was already 1 dominant. Not really a good comparison.

•••
Currently working on a personalized, industry specific sales strategy for a new gTLD extension I like and own about 25+ names I want to offer to end-users.

However, given the present state of the economy / stock market I am now delaying my plans to present and offer these names for sale, domain names that are really elective purchases and possibly supplemental to their existing domains.

Waiting for a bit more market stabilization before I approach potential business end-users with a sales proposal.

When I decide to contact potential end-users I will be using a snappy / eye catching industry related domain name and the new extension, a way to get my domain foot into the door.

•••
For me it works fine.
I just created a landing page with a little of SEO for each domain.
I've already sold one, about a month ago, a .bio, and every week, I receive at least 2 inquiries for new GTLDs, like .agency, .tools, .bio, .rocks...
I'm not in a rush to sell, so I reply with high counters.

If I find a well established website, for example, blabla.com, that deals with DNA, and I own DNA.blabla, or some agency's website, and I own blabla.agency, I contact them.
Usually they're very interested.

Bottom line, I am going to keep my favorit ones for a couple of years.
I think that's a great long term investment.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back