Dynadot

discuss Let's play the game "put yourself in buyers' shoes"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
I call it a game.. but its an actual offer I have from someone on a very nice .org domain.. although recent handreg.. with great long reg history in past.. and .net regged and developed since 1998... and .com going to nowhere now..

imo this domain is better fit for org.. than .net..

think USA+topkeyword.org .....

the guy seems some sort of editor for something.. can't figure out what..

say the buyer starts out saying.. "I offer $100 for it, and can't go higher"

then I say.."we'd need more for this one"

then he says.. how about $1000

I guess some buyers are just more interesting and harder to figure out... its bit eaiser when after $100 they go to say $150... or just stick to their previous statement that $100 was really their highest.

what would be your next move in this.. game.

anyone wanna play?

cheers

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Interesting game.. Watching :)

•••
Interesting game.. Watching :)

hahahha yes indeed... whoever says domaining isn't at least a bit like playing chess clearly does not know his stuff.. :P

kasparov would make a kickbutt domainer hahahaha

•••
•••
You want to know who you are dealing with. Many small end users will be reluctant to go much higher than your $1000 offer. That might be a decent flip for a .ORG. But if you are dealing with Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Apple, you can aim much higher. But why would a tech company want a .ORG?

I might counter with $1500 and be willing to take the $1000. Again, this is a .handreg ORG. You can use the funds to renew the best domains in your portfolio over the coming weeks or months, acquire a nice name in a Namejet auction, develop a website on a domain you are passionate about or buy something special outside the world of domains.

•••
Reply: "You'll have to do better than that."

nothing like solid advice from a pro domainer who's just about seen it all in negotiations and domaining ;)

precisely why I decided to play this game in "public."

now let's see some more great cool reply types... I am sure this thread can serve many other no members than just me in their negotiatoins.

thanks Zandi.

•••
•••
You want to know who you are dealing with. Many small end users will be reluctant to go much higher than your $1000 offer. That might be a decent flip for a .ORG. But if you are dealing with Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Apple, you can aim much higher. But why would a tech company want a .ORG?

I might counter with $1500 and be willing to take the $1000. Again, this is a .handreg ORG. You can use the funds to renew the best domains in your portfolio over the coming weeks or months, acquire a nice name in a Namejet auction, develop a website on a domain you are passionate about or buy something special outside the world of domains.

agreed.

being greedy in domaining can cause more harm than good.. but... as you say, it may be equally or even more importnat not to miss good opportuities and find out who I am dealing with... therefore research is an importnat factor. handregs or not.

•••
Facebook owns Internet.org

More .orgs owned by tech companies:

Teach.org - Microsoft
Live.org - Microsoft
Blink.org - Google
Like.org - Google
Wave.org - Google
Parse.org - Facebook

Just sayin' - These tech companies + others own thousands of .org domains.

•••
Myyy replyyy would probably look like this:

''Sir, first you offered me '100,00 USD' and wrote 'that you can't go higher' but then you offered me '1,000.00 USD' which is 10 times more (?). I am sure that you will understand now, that I am convinced that you will go again 10 times higher - so you can buy it within 24 hours for 10,000.00 USD. After that time it will cost 100,000.00 USD.'

Last edited:
•••
If he offered ten times his opening offer then he will easily go higher. Get him to make another offer without giving him any numbers. Maybe reply, "I have more than that invested in the name" and see what his next number is. Remember that most people have no idea how much you spent to acquire the name so anything is fair game.

•••
If he offered ten times his opening offer then he will easily go higher. Get him to make another offer without giving him any numbers. Maybe reply, "I have more than that invested in the name" and see what his next number is. Remember that most people have no idea how much you spent to acquire the name so anything is fair game.

well... I suppose one could argue.. that he did resort to adjusting reality to accomodate his goals (I refrain from using the word he "lied")... by saying his initial offer of $100 is best he can do.. that much is clearly clear now.... so in that sense.. he'd be living proof of what you just said.. that "anything is fair game".. in this game indeed!

•••
My advice... Go for a specific number... $1,700. Don't get greedy!!

Please note that's my advice based on what I know... I don't know the exact domain in question, anything about the buyer apart from he offered 100 then 1000 etc.

Last edited:
•••
My advice... Go for a specific number... $1,700. Don't get greedy!!

Please note that's my advice based on what I know... I don't know the exact domain in question, anything about the buyer apart from he offered 100 then 1000 etc.

np
thanks for input
always welcome

and yes, the essence of my post here is more about ... how to treat/respond to a buyer who jumps 10 times his initial offer in a span of say.. 24 hours.

moreso than to base this discussion on specific names or discuss their potentail value... in the end, its a non liquid value domain.. that is worth exactly what he is willing to pay for it... knowing he jumped 10x his initial offer is more valuable piece of info to me, than my trying to estimate the worth of such a non liquid name. what I or we may estimate this name to be worth here... may still be a very very long way (from either direction) to what it is worth to buyer... hence... "the game" ;)

Last edited:
•••
im gonna produce an email reply to him. maybe tomorrow.
in meantime I forwarded it to an auciton site direcrtly, with min $1000 price and high 4 figure bin.

try make things more official... and more binding.. for the both of us

will keep ya posted if this sells!

feel free to continue the thread if u have more things to share. not just for me, but all np members.

domain negotiations can be as complex as trump vs kim pingpong... on nuclear weapons.
no one can ever learn this art perfectly........or fully.

Last edited:
•••
it seems he wants it (and based on his second bid) he is in a rush to buy it to either; use or is worried you will sell to someone else.

or he's a no BS guy and went straight to his max budget.

most buyers would have increased their offer to 150 or 300

game of domains is right

Last edited:
•••
from what you described the name seems unique and may have limited end users (especially .org's) i would have just counter offered. Not sure if GD auctions will get you other bidders - IMO

anyways even at $1k for the .org you are in the money - good luck

•••
Myyy replyyy would probably look like this:

''Sir, first you offered me '100,00 USD' and wrote 'that you can't go higher' but then you offered me '1,000.00 USD' which is 10 times more (?). I am sure that you will understand now, that I am convinced that you will go again 10 times higher - so you can buy it within 24 hours for 10,000.00 USD. After that time it will cost 100,000.00 USD.'

I would not buy the name from you on principle if you sent that email to me. :clown:

The OP is looking at selling the name - not piss people off

•••
from what you described the name seems unique and may have limited end users (especially .org's) i would have just counter offered. Not sure if GD auctions will get you other bidders - IMO

anyways even at $1k for the .org you are in the money - good luck

thanks. no sorry. I did not mean that I sent it to an biddding auction. just a simple makeoffer page.. with min $1000.. and high 4 figure bin.. the bin is in case if he should feel really interested or pressed or motivated to secure this for his company. as I said, this doman is worth what he is prepared to pay it. not what I/we think its worth.

I merely placed it there so we may both engage in official bidning negotiation.
as well as to have full payment protection should this result in a sale.

I do not plan to send it to a bidding auction at any point.

•••
oh that makes more sense. let us know after it's done

•••
Don't put yourself into someone else shoes. It stinks!!!!

•••
i). Don't put a price tag on your potential, ie. Dont give him an exact figure.

ii). Show him the merits and advantages of your name, like the number of domains containing your keywords.

iii). Remind him this: "this is not the 1st time I am getting such offers"

•••
I would not buy the name from you on principle if you sent that email to me. :clown:

You are you, so that's very ok :-,

But I don't mind if the person / company 'will buy it or not' - because I knowww that he / they will 100 % reply (immediately or later, that's not the point) to continue / restart the negotiations if he / they are really interested in the domain.
Believe me, I know exactly what I write and why - I call it 'calculated tactic' because I know, it's all about 'uncalculated tic tac' - means, the point is: 'Who has more patienceee for negotiationsss?'

The OP is looking at selling the name - not piss people off

Exactly, that's why I would wrote as reply to him / them, what I wrote in my post ;)
If the person / company would be 'pissed off' (?) by such a polite & clear (that's an important point) answer, it's not myyy problem.
He / they would only reveal their unprofessional impatience, it just would show me that they are anyway not really interested in negotiations...
...but it's all about negotiations = patience when you want to purchase / sell a domain.

Last edited:
•••
As a newbie, I'll give the enduser a BIN price of like $2500-$4,000 and stick with it. No need worrying about if I left money on the table or the deal fails. Life's too short.

That being said, I've read some sales where the seller eggs the buyer to do better till they get to a decent price for the domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back