IT.COM

"LET IT DIE"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
So I have an idea that may catch on to some..... or not.

Sometimes I will see a member that opens a topic and it will take on a life of it's own. Sometimes the original author will have made a mistake and he cannot go back to edit. So the topic gets huge and the member apologizes or defends himself over and over again because new posters do not read all 46 pages and keep posting about something the author has already addressed.

I would like to see a "LET IT DIE" button that the author of the topic could click that would prevent the topic from showing up in the Popular This Week, Month etc so the topic has a way to die down.

Now I am not asking for the ability to lock a topic because members should be able to respond but I see no reason why an author has to be tormented for months before a topic dies down on it's own.

Having been in this situation once myself I alway show empathy for people in this situation and I wish I could help them find a way out. You can only apologize or correct yourself so many time before it becomes pointless. It wears an author down immensely and probably costs namepros a few members every year because the authors cannot get a topic to die down. I know of one case where the author had a huge sale but he was tormented for months. I showed him my support and empathy.... we need to learn that word, it's a big part of any community.

So why would we want to keep advertising these topics instead of allowing the author to hit a "Let it Die" button?

Now before you make fun of this post or make a crude remark remember to ask yourself if you have ever been in a similar situation and then empathize with the member instead of contributing to the rhetoric.

Chime in and give me your opinion please, I would love to know how everyone feels about this.

PS.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Please please read the whole topic before you criticize the author of a topic, he may very well have posted a correction and you are simply beating a dead dog.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back