Dynadot

Lest We Forget

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CraigD

Top Member
Impact
On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918, the guns on the Western Front fell silent.

Ode of Remembrance

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

4298086600000578-4743812-A_section_of_the_Tyne_Cot_Cemetery_in_Passchendaele_Belgium_duri-a-66_1501422660493.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
survivors had to come back and face the swine flu also. Tough time period.

•••
Here is a copy of the first page written to my great grandmother by my grandfather, thought you might find it interesting....

118324397_10158654382595350_8594094264998688750_o.jpg

Arthur Benjamin’s handwriting was amazing. Consider that he is writing this while ‘on the line’, April 29th, 1917. I am going to transcribe the letter here, so you can get an idea of the peril he was in. At this time he is 30 years old:

My Dear Mother,
Your kind and welcome letter came to hand yesterday while I was “up the line” at the Advanced Post and it is always doubly welcome to hear from Canada when in such dug outs. My work during the last two weeks has been much more strenuous and exciting and my nerves even now cause my hands to twitch - however the lord has preserved my “going out and coming in” in spite of the shells. I am still well.
Mother Dear - There is an especial providence watching over our Red Cross work and although some do get hit it is only occasionally. We have gone thro’ different fires - when it has almost seemed to be lifted while we pass and then close down again as soon after. This of course at night when we all fare alike - We have had quite a number of the old boys hit but only a few killed.
Well Mother once again I must thank you for the words of comfort and cheer and you can rely on my continuing in the service of my Protector and walking as best I can in his ways. I am sorry to say that I am not as popular among all classes as I am among the few - who follow Christ’s ideals - but this is to be expected and in spite of it all - I have a very good time and get along with them all.
Both Levina and W write me that you have been unwell and I am anxious to hear further. You are doubtless having a busy time with everyone making yours an open house and it is pleasant to know that Levina is returning to look after you - you really need looking after because you are continually working at one thing or another even when unwell. I hope the day is not far distant when I may have the pleasure of doing the odd jobs around home again.
Yes Levina mentioned in her last letter about Mrs Watson’s and Mr Allison Sharp’s deaths. My deepest sympathy is with those bereaved.
Please do not thank me for as trifling a gift as that - it is not worthy and only wish that I could offer something to repay you for all the many kindnesses you have shown me.
Yesterday I heard of Fred Wright’s location and went in search but as he had moved I was fortunate in getting him on the telephone. However he rode over to see me today and you can guess what a happy time we had recounting old experiences. It must be 15 years since I last saw him as he was never at home when I called. I don’t know if Levina will be home by this time - I will leave the rest to her.
So for the present au revoir, love to Aunts M and A and yourself.
Your Affectionate Son, Arthur

- - - - - - -
As a post script to this letter, the Battle of Vimy Ridge was fought April 9-12 in 1917. Nearly 10,600 dead or wounded on the Canadian/British side of the battle. As he was one of the ones retrieving dead and wounded from the battlefield in the middle of the night.... yeah, his nerves would have been tested.
- - - - - - -

•••
Here is a copy of the first page written to my great grandmother by my grandfather, thought you might find it interesting....

118324397_10158654382595350_8594094264998688750_o.jpg

Arthur Benjamin’s handwriting was amazing. Consider that he is writing this while ‘on the line’, April 29th, 1917. I am going to transcribe the letter here, so you can get an idea of the peril he was in. At this time he is 30 years old:

My Dear Mother,
Your kind and welcome letter came to hand yesterday while I was “up the line” at the Advanced Post and it is always doubly welcome to hear from Canada when in such dug outs. My work during the last two weeks has been much more strenuous and exciting and my nerves even now cause my hands to twitch - however the lord has preserved my “going out and coming in” in spite of the shells. I am still well.
Mother Dear - There is an especial providence watching over our Red Cross work and although some do get hit it is only occasionally. We have gone thro’ different fires - when it has almost seemed to be lifted while we pass and then close down again as soon after. This of course at night when we all fare alike - We have had quite a number of the old boys hit but only a few killed.
Well Mother once again I must thank you for the words of comfort and cheer and you can rely on my continuing in the service of my Protector and walking as best I can in his ways. I am sorry to say that I am not as popular among all classes as I am among the few - who follow Christ’s ideals - but this is to be expected and in spite of it all - I have a very good time and get along with them all.
Both Levina and W write me that you have been unwell and I am anxious to hear further. You are doubtless having a busy time with everyone making yours an open house and it is pleasant to know that Levina is returning to look after you - you really need looking after because you are continually working at one thing or another even when unwell. I hope the day is not far distant when I may have the pleasure of doing the odd jobs around home again.
Yes Levina mentioned in her last letter about Mrs Watson’s and Mr Allison Sharp’s deaths. My deepest sympathy is with those bereaved.
Please do not thank me for as trifling a gift as that - it is not worthy and only wish that I could offer something to repay you for all the many kindnesses you have shown me.
Yesterday I heard of Fred Wright’s location and went in search but as he had moved I was fortunate in getting him on the telephone. However he rode over to see me today and you can guess what a happy time we had recounting old experiences. It must be 15 years since I last saw him as he was never at home when I called. I don’t know if Levina will be home by this time - I will leave the rest to her.
So for the present au revoir, love to Aunts M and A and yourself.
Your Affectionate Son, Arthur

- - - - - - -
As a post script to this letter, the Battle of Vimy Ridge was fought April 9-12 in 1917. Nearly 10,600 dead or wounded on the Canadian/British side of the battle. As he was one of the ones retrieving dead and wounded from the battlefield in the middle of the night.... yeah, his nerves would have been tested.
- - - - - - -

Amazing!

Thank you so much for posting this.

My great grandfather fought at Bullecourt / Arras that month.

Lest we forget

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back