Domain Empire

Legal, Financial and other considerations

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am considering offering a website design service to earn a bit of pocket money whilst I am at university next year (currently on a gap year and working at a supermarket and don't intend on staying there). Website design is currently a hobby, so I'd like some advice on how to become more proffessional.

I am wondering what kind of legal and finacial issues I have to consider, for example for contracts with clients - do I need proffessional legal advice to check that contracts are legal - and would I need that redone for each paying client? I assume I have to keep very good books for tax purposes, but do I also have to set up a buisness bank account or can I as a sole trader use a current account - though I would open a seperate one to keep things simpler.

I live in the UK, and would appreciate any advice from those more experianced in this field.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For the clients you will be doing, make up a proposal, get them to sign it - you don't have the resources to fight them anyway.

I'm in the US so I can't give u advice on taxes.

if you want to be more professional go read this - http://www.forextips.com/webhelp.htm

lotz of luck

•••
Thanks for the link, I've been enjoying seeing your more practical attitude to website design on the showcase forum, would you mind having a look at the one I did - it's in the showcase forum labelled "Astronomy - Testing, Review".

I agree with you that it seems that a lot of website designers feel that looking good is the main thing, when in actuality it is only one aspect of design which is about getting something that does the job that is required - then making it look good if possible.

I hope to provide a good, professional service for my clients, giving them what they need. Thats why I'm trying to look into a more professional way of working.

Thanks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back