news Lease-to-Own for your BrandBucket Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Just got the below email.........

Introducing a New Way to Sell on BrandBucket

Due to significant interest from both our buyers and sellers, BrandBucket is pleased to announce the soft launch of a new program that will allow buyers to pay for your domains over time. Please keep reading for more details on how the program will work and when you can expect the option to be available for your BrandBucket listings.

The Program

What we are calling the "Lease-to-Own" program will begin to roll out in the next few days. You as a seller will need to log in to your account and opt-in to the program. This will enable the lease option on all of your eligible* domains.

The Lease-to-Own option allows buyers to pay for domains over the course of twelve months using any of the current payment method BrandBucket supports (credit cards, bank transfers and cryptocurrency.)

When a lease starts on one of your domain names, we will ask that you transfer it into a BrandBucket registrar account. During the lease term BrandBucket will hold the name and facilitate the buyer's use of it. When the lease is paid in full, BrandBucket will transfer ownership of the name to the buyer. If at any time the buyer cancels or defaults on the lease, the domain name will be transferred back to you.

Each monthly payment that the buyer makes (minus the standard marketplace commissions) will be available for you to withdraw from your BrandBucket account balance within five (5) business days.

The Math

As the e-commerce market has shifted towards more flexible payment options for buyers, we have seen increasing interest in monthly payments from buyers and increasing acceptance from sellers. 2020 saw a boom in services that facilitated "pay over time" for retailers; companies like Affirm, Sezzle, Klarna, Afterpay and PayPal Credit offer consumers a multitude of payment timeframes and financing options. While digital goods like domain names are different than most physical products, we believe there is value in offering startups at the beginning of their journey a way to manage costs and reduce risk.

The BrandBucket Lease-to-Own program will offer payments over a twelve (12) month timeframe. A varying level of extra service fees will be assessed based on the full price of the domain name:

· $0 to $9994: 20%

· $9995 to $49,994: 15%

· $49,995 and above: 10%

At each tier, 5% of the total service fees will be charged with the first month's payment, and the rest will be spread over payments two through twelve. For example, a domain priced at $3000 will be divided into 12 payments of $288 (15% service fee) with an additional $150 (5%) charged the first month.

All extra service fees collected will be split equally (50/50) between the seller and BrandBucket.

Why the Extra Fees?
Many retailers offer installment plans to buyers with no added monthly fees. While this makes sense to us for physical products that depreciate in value once owned, we feel that it does not make sense for digital goods. Domain names in particular have shown a consistent trend of increasing in value year over year, and they are very easy to "return" if the buyer decides to end the lease term early. We feel that sellers and their marketplaces should be compensated with something extra for helping carry the buyer through the year.

Why the Larger Amount Upfront?
Our research has uncovered that domain payment plans are paid in full at a much lower rate than payment plans for physical goods. Retail purchases are more of a hassle to return once they are used than domain names. Domain names are also purchased towards the beginning of the business startup journey, and (unfortunately) many startups aren't around a year after their journey starts. For both of these reasons, we feel that a larger upfront cost helps identify serious buyers, and helps compensate the seller and marketplace a bit extra for leases that are cancelled before completion.

The Fine Print

*During the first phase of the program, the Lease-to-Own option will be available only for domain names currently registered at GoDaddy and Namesilo. This will allow roughly 70% of the current BrandBucket inventory to participate at the time of launch.

This is a beta program, and all terms, calculations, and exclusions are subject to change as we gather feedback and data from our communities.

How to Opt-In

Visit your BrandBucket account, click the Account navigation button on the top-right of the page, and scroll to the Sales Settings area. There you will find a checkbox to enable Lease-to-Own on your eligible domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Received the same email... if I read it correctly.seems to me the extra fee on top of the existing fee makes this untenable. "Commission" on low range domains (up to $10K) would be 30% + 20%. Somewhat less for higher value domains.

Last edited:
•••
Received the same email... if I read it correctly.seems to me the extra fee on top of the existing fee makes this untenable. "Commission" on low range domains (up to $10K) would be 30% + 20%. Somewhat less for higher value domains.
Yeah - it's a steep hike when you consider other platform charges for monthly instalments

•••
So a $5000 domain will cost a buyer $6000, and the seller will get $3500... we’re talking a commission above 40%.

•••
I thought the same thing by the wording that a seller ends up paying 40% commish on those due to the 20% processing fees (BB 10% Seller 10%) but I was told it really means the seller and BB split the receipts on “processing fees” charged to a buyer so you would actually get your 70% commish plus half the processing fees.

The wording was very weird for more than just one person to misunderstand it. Also the example shows 15% for 3000 which is wrong- in that tier its 20%.

This line caused all the confusion

All extra service fees collected will be split equally (50/50) between the seller and BrandBucket.

Last edited:
•••
simply put

if an estate agent charged

40% commission

to sell a house worth £100 k

in the uk

that estate agent would be on the

uk n ews by tea time

estate agents charge approx

3% ish commission

of property value

not 40%

even a broker is cheaper at 20%

but eventually individuals will start offering outbound marketing for 5% commission

most brokers only want to broker the top 1% of domain names

market places that charge 30% + know they can because many domain name investors need liquidity to pay for renewals from sales not back pocket etc

even a kitchen direct sales person would sell domains for 10% commission if they were offered the opportunity etc because direct sales is direct sales and outbound marketing is outbound marketing etc the only thing different is the product which most people dont understand because domain names are digital intangible illiquid assets but once a person that can sell understands the product they can sell the product

•••
Brandbucket in my case already take around 34%-38%, considering the domains I have sold are somewhere at the lower $x,xxx range and considering also the logos cost.

What I'm saying is,
I'm already close to the 40% range. I can't imagine what the % will be if I opt-in to this new way of selling.

•••
The wording was very weird for more than just one person to misunderstand it. Also the example shows 15% for 3000 which is wrong- in that tier its 20%.

They charge the extra 5% the first month (15% + 5% = 20%)

•••
•••
Brandbucket in my case already take around 34%-38%, considering the domains I have sold are somewhere at the lower $x,xxx range and considering also the logos cost.

What I'm saying is,
I'm already close to the 40% range. I can't imagine what the % will be if I opt-in to this new way of selling.

Yup, add in the logo cost and the "withdrawal fee" and commission could be getting up towards 50%.

I think Brandbucket is a solid marketplace, I've actually sold a few names there over the years which is impressive considering less than 1% of my portfolio is listed there. But it's where I list ridiculous "brandable" domains that I acquire for $20-$50 each and don't think will sell anywhere else. I'm always shocked to see good names there, especially considering they can't be listed on other marketplaces simultaneously (it must be exclusively listed at BB). You are basically excluding the domain from Sedo, Afternic, etc. while also agreeing to pay 2-4x the commission.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back