Dynadot

poll KINGS AND GODS: THE POWER OF AN EXTENSION

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CAN A KING HOLD THE THRONE FOREVER?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • YES

votes
    80.0%
  • NO

votes
    20.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

QUAD DOMAINS

Established Member
Impact
👑 We’ve all heard the “.com will always be #1” viewpoint. There are investors who consider the .com version of a domain name to be the “ultimate” upgrade. Fortune 500 companies that brand with .com domains are used as the poster-child justification for why no other extension will EVER have a chance. Anyone who challenges the mere idea that “.com is king” stands to be scorned into oblivion. Mostly by folks who’ve made a decent living leveraging, and bolstering, the .com value-construct. However, it’s only fair, and in many cases reasonable, that a reign be placed under the microscope every so often. Especially where renewals are applicable. After all, benefits don’t always age gracefully.

⚖️ In a world where many people believe a king’s rule pales in comparison to a God’s power, it’s worth pondering what the metaphorical God would be in comparison to the king some investors believe is .com. If the answer can only have a centralized origin, one would have to say company-specific ICANN TLDs. (Ex: .google, .apple etc.) Considering Fortune 500 companies are used to justify .com’s royalty, it only makes sense they’d justify the royalty of their own TLDs. With two royals, which might a company favor? Probably their own. It’s difficult to make the case for why a Fortune 500 company would prioritize the .com over their own TLD. It just doesn’t seem ideal if branding is their focus.

🧠 The discussion about company-branded ICANN TLDs doesn’t receive nearly as much attention as it deserves. Especially at a time when decentralized TLDs take a lot of heat for merely existing. There are surely folks who are aware company-branded ICANN TLDs have been in the works for some time now. Companies opting to lead with the leveraging and promotion of their own TLD will ultimately help shift the paradigm of what constitutes the better domain name branding option. Sure, some investors speculate about the headache that might come with training the public to remember the TLD. However, with billions of marketing dollars, and a thirst for controlling narratives, most Fortune 500 companies will embrace the task.

🐝 Everything stated brings us to the need for an objective discussion about the past, present and future benefits of the .com extension. (Branding and otherwise.) With robust advancements in technology, blockchain names commanding attention, domain-utility being a focus and internet end-user demographics evolving, it’s fair to ask what .com brings to the table other than age, familiarity and what many would consider a cult-like following. This question isn’t about stirring the hornet’s nest though. It’s about getting a grip on whether .com maximalism is relative to a sincere belief the extension has evolved in a way that’s relevant to not only ourselves; but to generations that’ll undoubtedly see the world and web through a completely different lens.

👇 Share your constructive thoughts in the comments.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

constructively speaking and from experience over the years....

those i know, who hold quality to premium - top tier .com domain names don't question the extensions reign now or in the future.

they may speculate in other areas, but they are not giving away or giving up, on .com

in the brick and mortar world, it's like concrete to build the foundation.

imo...

•••
Yes I think so they are very powerful extension ....

•••
Both Google and Amazon have their own registries and anyone can register domains with their extensions. But they're not really promoting them to the extent it could rival .com, I'd guess because it too costly and there are no real prospects of profit competing with .com. Not to mention these extensions also rely on ICANN.

Keep in mind that not only is the .com the most popular and recognizable TLD, their prices are low and heavily regulated.

•••
I look forward to seeing more and more extensions slowly becoming mixed in the general pot of domains. Company brand extensions are another very interesting aspect of how this will continue to happen.

I view .com as the simple default, thats really it. It was the only choice for two decades and that is what people are simply familiar with. I dont believe that is something that will last forever. With Boomers and older folks, they will always be .com people. Other extensions are creeping their way in slowly but surely. Every year I notice a few more extensions gaining use in up and coming niches. Just got to break that over dependence on familiarity and default status for a general public that slowly gets smarter and realizes they don't need to be mindless when it comes to choosing a brand.

•••
I look forward to seeing more and more extensions slowly becoming mixed in the general pot of domains. Company brand extensions are another very interesting aspect of how this will continue to happen.

I view .com as the simple default, thats really it. It was the only choice for two decades and that is what people are simply familiar with. I dont believe that is something that will last forever. With Boomers and older folks, they will always be .com people. Other extensions are creeping their way in slowly but surely. Every year I notice a few more extensions gaining use in up and coming niches. Just got to break that over dependence on familiarity and default status for a general public that slowly gets smarter and realizes they don't need to be mindless when it comes to choosing a brand.

👏 Well stated.

•••
I view .com as the simple default, thats really it. It was the only choice for two decades and that is what people are simply familiar with. I dont believe that is something that will last forever.
Saying that it will last forever is a bit of a stretch, but it's certainly will last for the foreseeable future.

The big fish are all using it. Are you using a Samsung or an Apple iPhone? Well, both of those companies use the .com. What about your computer? Are you running Microsoft Windows on your PC? That's a .com. Are you buying stuff off Amazon or eBay? Those are .com too.

We've been conditioned to associate "real companies" with the .com, and while the younger generations tend to be a bit more experimentative and accepting of new TLD:s they too will eventually gravitate towards the status quo.

Last edited:
•••
Hard not to learn the lessons of history. When .Biz, .info, me all came out, so many invested in these new extensions saying the strangle-hold of .com was over. lets face it even .net struggles to get real traction and that is from day one of tlds.

If .net had been launched amongst all these new tlds today. It would be riding high as far as a perceived front runner, certainly ahead of .xyz. well people do use .net but, you try selling one for decent money. It needs to be at the top of the tree word to get a single bite.

Only hold one .net myself but the extension model is not going to change. maybe if the whole internet was relaunched, then you could call it day one for every extension.

Last edited:
•••
I personally think that in the future, with the rise of a new generation of young people, the new suffix will become more and more powerful at the application level, gain more support from young people, and more new top companies will be born to use the new domain name.
Gradually found that .com is already a collectible.
While .com will represent the old company, the new domain will represent the new company and the future.
But .com will never die, and a good enough .com will become more valuable over time.

•••
•••
•••

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230707-092845.png
    Screenshot_20230707-092845.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 61
•••
No matter where we go, end up, always remember our roots. Dot-com will always command respect far into the future imo, similar to generation wealth, old money. Read:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/will-dot-com-be-old-money.1264607/
.Com will surely garner respect from people with an appreciation for yesterday's internet structure. The extension will definitely hold value among a certain age demographic more than anything else moving forward. This is to be expected. However, as the digital realm continues to evolve more people will leverage a variety of extensions for personal and professional endeavors.

•••
.Com will surely garner respect from people with an appreciation for yesterday's internet structure. The extension will definitely hold value among a certain age demographic more than anything else moving forward. This is to be expected. However, as the digital realm continues to evolve more people will leverage a variety of extensions for personal and professional endeavors.
Quality .com are like oceanfront property.

The value and demand doesn't go down because they build more options inland.

Brad

•••
•••
Quality .com are like oceanfront property.

The value and demand doesn't go down because they build more options inland.

Brad

🌊 Come on @bmugford! We know rising tides force oceanfront property owners to elevate, and in some case evacuate, their homes. Could this be why many also have homes inland? Sure. Is this something that could impact oceanfront home values if the ocean sees fit to keep moving inland? Absolutely.

🥚Diversification is value. Anyone who places all of their eggs in one basket risks their value being at the mercy of one fall. Remember, the horse and carriage had its time......until the automobile came along. .Com had its heydey. It'll forever have relevance in the history of the internet. Just don't count on the grandkids loving it.

•••
Remember, the horse and carriage had its time......until the automobile came along. .Com had its heydey. It'll forever have relevance in the history of the internet. Just don't count on the grandkids loving it.
My analogy is based on location, aka prime real estate is always in demand. Quality .COM is prime internet real estate.

Yours is based on technology.

Obviously motorized vehicles were a major technological advancement that made people's lives better.

You might have an argument if .COM worked any different than other extensions. Centralized domains all basically work the same.

Why is a 1-800 number still in more demand than a 1-844 or 1-833 number? They work the same.

All the kids today are still going to see almost all large companies operating on .COM.

How many Fortune 500 companies don't use .COM, especially on the consumer facing websites?

I invest in other extensions as well, but there is no indication that .COM won't continue to dominate even if a handful of other options also have value.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
My analogy is based on location, aka prime real estate is always in demand. Quality .COM is prime internet real estate.

Yours is based on technology.

Obviously motorized vehicles were a major technological advancement that made people's lives better.

You might have an argument if .COM worked any different than other extensions. Centralized domains all basically work the same.

Why is a 1-800 number still in more demand than a 1-844 or 1-833 number? They work the same.

All the kids today are still going to see almost all large companies operating on .COM.

How many Fortune 500 companies don't use .COM, especially on the consumer facing websites?

I invest in other extensions as well, but there is no indication that .COM won't continue to dominate even if a handful of other options also have value.

Brad

⚓ Exactly! Your angle is alluding to a belief that .com's "popularity" alone is an anchor for infinite value and relevance. Because the internet is about technology from its core outward, I'd have to respectfully disagree. Utility transcends generations; and thus has a value and relevance that outweighs popularity any day.

✅ If there was a popularity contest, .com would win hands down when compared to any centralized, or decentralized, domain extension. If there was a utility contest, .com would lose. It has years of popularity and acclaim; but is synonymous with websites and email addresses. There's no way this alone will appeal to future generations.

💾 Remember, the internet has gone from "company and website visitors" to "company and end-users". People want, and deserve, utility. Popularity isn't utility. The moment a non-.com TLD is synonymous with something people need, and want, is the moment .com loses its momentum. This is actually happening as we speak with wallet domains.

👑 Many investors believe ".com is king". However, history shows that kings meet their demise and have predecessors. .Com is the TLD of choice for an era and segment of businesses. It likely won't serve as the TLD of choice for a majority of people and businesses in the future. This is simply the reality of everything having its moment.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

i remember when silly ass emojis were supposed to take over and when apps were supposed to take over and when facebook was supposed to take over, and when .mobi and .pw and handshakey, etc, etc., etc.

and yet .com is still #1

i just wonder about those who didn't see that or those who don't see it now.

sure, you can brand on another extension, but .com is already branded!

imo....

•••
Hi

i remember when silly ass emojis were supposed to take over and when apps were supposed to take over and when facebook was supposed to take over, and when .mobi and .pw and handshakey, etc, etc., etc.

and yet .com is still #1

i just wonder about those who didn't see that or those who don't see it now.

sure, you can brand on another extension, but .com is already branded!

imo....
📱 Well, "silly ass emojis" come standard on most mobile devices; and have become an easily recognizable way to communicate digitally. This holds weight in a world where more and more people are searching by phone and not by desktop computer.

😮 The problem is that many .com enthusiast are banking on .com being king at the expense of the general public not realizing they have options. This could be why the general public hasn't been practically educated on domain names before now.

🥧 End-users are just now realizing they can have their own slice of the internet pie by having a name they want; and one with more utility. They likely won't blindly endorse an extension some old guys are saying is the best thing since the internet's inception.

⌛ Yes, many corporations use .com domains; but they also have alternatives that can be leveraged at a moment's notice. Ex: YouTube uses both YouTube.com AND YouTu.be. Look forward to them breaking trend; and promoting YouTu.be as a primary.

👎 It's not popular to say the public at large won't favor a .com. However, it's preposterous to think a child with a website won't go for a .cool or .fun etc in favor of a TLD that's short for "commercial". .Com will have its relevance; but not with everyone.

👤Mel
QUAD Domains

Last edited:
•••
@QUAD DOMAINS

It would be helpful if you could substantiate your claims with some sources and facts about actual use at the moment, without too much wishful thinking. Incidentally, I am someone who has invested heavily in new gtlds in the past and have now returned to mainly .com domains.

•••
The moment a non-.com TLD is synonymous with something people need, and want, is the moment .com loses its momentum. This is actually happening as we speak with wallet domains.
If and when that happens, it won't be a "moment". It'll be a process.

•••
@QUAD DOMAINS

It would be helpful if you could substantiate your claims with some sources and facts about actual use at the moment, without too much wishful thinking. Incidentally, I am someone who has invested heavily in new gtlds in the past and have now returned to mainly .com domains.
✅ YouTube is a good place to start. YouTu.be points to the official YouTube website as we speak. This is something many folks don't talk about here in the forum. Some would argue it's a "defense registration"; but this doesn't require them (YouTube) to do anything more than have the name in their custody. Actually pointing the domain implies that it receives some sort of traffic. At bare minimum, someone at YouTube believes the platform will be visited through that particular domain. This isn't wishful thinking. It's a reality that's in motion.

📱 The relevance .com has commercially isn't being disputed. It's a matter of whether that relevance will hold up in a digitally-immersive era. An era where appeal and value isn't one size fits all. No .com investor seems to ever make the case for why .com would matter the slightest to future generations. It's not as if it has some supreme utility. The angle many lead with is "popularity among the Fortune 500". In an age where many young people don't find the idea of big corporations appealing, it's hard to see them viewing .com as the best option for their own endeavors.

👤Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
Sorry, but that's not what I asked for.

•••
If and when that happens, it won't be a "moment". It'll be a process.
👍 Absolutely. Technological evolution and adoption is about "due process". .Com's present popularity alone doesn't lend itself to evolution and long-term end-user benefits. This seems to be what some are missing or choosing not to acknowledge. We're talking about a facet of technology here.

👤Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back