IT.COM

discuss Kicking some serious .com butt

NameSilo
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Canada reaches two million .CA Internet domain name registries

The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) announced Thursday that Canada has reached its two millionth .CA registration. This makes Canada the fourth fastest-growing Internet domain name and 14th largest.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/337474

why_preference.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The cTld's hjave a strangle hold in Canada

.com is not king in Canada, in fact .ca is kicking some serious .com Butt

Two of my 3 businesses forward the .com to the .ca.
That is not uncommon in Canada

Because .com's are looked at as US shopping sites almost all shopping sites are .ca including Amazon.

When I search for within Canada I always look for .ca because it assures I am shopping within my home country.

I predict cTLD's have a lot more growth left and will be much more stable than gTLD's.

slide_soho.png

Last edited:
•••
Spent some time in Vancouver, Canada. Very multicultural. Also have family and friends who live in Toronto.

Still, Canadians must still like .com because they contact me regularly with .com offers.

Last edited:
•••
•••
.ca is strong in terms of mindshare, but never had much success in end user sales.
A bit of a disconnect actually.

•••
.ca is strong in terms of mindshare, but never had much success in end user sales.
A bit of a disconnect actually.

Given the population of Canada the two million registration mark is huge

I would call that pretty successful

•••
Respectable achievement but well behind European penetration rates ie .nl: 1 .nl domain per 3 inhabitants... Still lots of room for growth.
I think many businesses in Canada are still sticking with .com.

•••
I'm not sure I agree with that

Show me one major retailer that does not have the .ca as primary

Amazon
Staples
Apple
BestBuy
Walmart
Lowes
HomeDepot
CanadianTire
etc

Fact is there are not that many businesses in Canada, the penetration of .ca is almost beyond compare.

I shop almost exclusively online and I cannot remember purchasing from a .com business unless I on purpose switched to Amazon.com to buy something that Amazon.ca did not have or was more expensive.

Last edited:
•••
This definitely gives me a few ideas about .ca.

•••
Local and regional sites prefer cctld and it is common and nothing special. By the way as far as I know I never visited any .ca sites till now but I visited few .tk or .de sites (bounced back immediately as I cannot read that language).

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Still, Canadians must still like .com because they contact me regularly with .com offers.

They're buying the .com as backup to their .ca :)

•••
•••
canadian's will make sure a site is .ca to ensure they are dealing with a local business and to make sure they are dealing with a regional site if its an international company.

.ca registry has done a good job promoting and keeping the .ca exclusive to Canada.

•••
•••
Back on topic please

Did you know 32% of Americans think a .ca means California?

Awhile back, I was planning on registering a few GEO California cities/keywords in (dot)ca..but

https://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/15124-ca-california-canada-domain.html

Funny part is that there are a few California businesses using it.
(continued) they must have some kinda of presence in Canada (if I understand correctly)!

Thinking with the upcoming legalization of Cannabis..(dot)ca's are going to have a upturn..
It seems to be starting on "Bay Street"
http://www.baystreet.ca/stockstowatch/2753/Forget-Bitcoin-Canadas-Cannabis-Market-Is-Smoking-Hot

•••
yup, 420%

bought a few names years ago in preparation.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back