NameSilo

opinion Keep pressing them or wait for the drop?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
I've been emailing a major corp. for months and even sent them a Fed Ex letter showing interest in purchasing a domain they're not using. I've been watching it for quite some time and the reg. runs out in about four months. I do understand they can still renew it after that, if in time but I'm really surprised they're not replying or renewing the domain.

It's a wasted premium .com domain but no replies to date. The only thing I haven't done is call them which I'm about to do soon but I'm wondering if my continuous emails aren't just reminding them to wake up or if I'd have a better chance trying to catch the drop?

Suggestions appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think if they are ignoring their domain that much you will have a better price then drop auction if you can contact with them.

•••
Agree with serhatkotan. Who are you sending the emails too? Where did you get email address from? How do you know this is the right person to contact?

•••
If they're a big corporation reaching someone important over the phone will likely be tough.. If they aren't answering your emails by now may be best just to wait for it to drop...

•••
Agree with serhatkotan. Who are you sending the emails too? Where did you get email address from? How do you know this is the right person to contact?

Emails are going to info, sales at the corp. office. Also sent a letter a month or so ago. Even tried support and asked them to forward to the correct person. I found the CEO on linkedin but I don't want to pay their contact fee unless it's a last resort. I can opt out before 30 days but still a pain.

I guess if I don't hear back again in a day or two I'll give them a call and if that doesn't work I'll try the CEO through linkedin. Oh, forgot I also tried their Whois contact info., an email to the Webmaster of the domain.

I just don't want to be their time to renew reminder but again I've never had any luck with paying a drop service to catch the name.

Maybe I should call but getting decision makers on the phone in most cases is impossible.

•••
If they're a big corporation reaching someone important over the phone will likely be tough.. If they aren't answering your emails by now may be best just to wait for it to drop...

I agree, very tough. I honestly think if it drops I'd never stand a chance. I think even going though any 3rd party they'd grab it, it's that hot.

I'm thinking phone call before the end of the week and if I can't get through try linkedin to the CEO and see if they even watch their linkedin account.

•••
I finally got a reply, they said that they don't sell domains. What's up with this company? I'm trying to purchase their domain that will drop in 3 months but they don't sell domains!

I guess I have 2 options. One is to try and catch it at multiple sites on the drop, or upgrade my linkedin and see if it reaches the head of the company. I honestly think that's a waste of time as they probably don't check those emails. Also I'm actually tired of contacting large corps. about their domains that's almost expired as I've had a few just renew because I made them aware. :xf.eek:

I'm gonna try and catch this at GD, NameJet, can anyone suggest others that might be better? I don't mind paying a fee. TY

•••
in my opinion its always worth backordering at pheenix, only $19 and you only pay if/after you win.

•••
How are you so sure that the domain will drop? Maybe they have it on auto-renew via the registrar and it will be auto-renewed a few days before expiration and even if it's a premium domain name with a major corporation funds for them aren't in question and I doubt they are likely to sell an asset for undervalue price - it can happen, but highly unlikely. About backordering do it with all the major ones : SnapNames, Pheenix, Dropcatch, Namejet, ... I'm pretty sure if it drops one of those will get it.

•••
I've been emailing a major corp. for months and even sent them a Fed Ex letter showing interest in purchasing a domain they're not using.
Just because a domain is not being used, it doesn't mean they are not interested with it.

It could be a defensive reg, to prevent people like you from making use of the name and threaten their interests today or in some future time.

I own many defensive regs myself, just to shut out the competition. Sometimes a competitor tries to TM the name and maybe planning eventually to reverse hijack me with a claim of domain "non-use". So what i do is, i put up a few static pages of pseudo company material to give an illusion that the domain is being "used".

•••
the reg. runs out in about four months.

This is about a domain with four months left on it? lol Dude they are going to renew it and your wasting time and energy and FedEx money. Do a backorder incse and forget it. This name in a company's stash for a reason and your contacts with them even more red flags its a keeper. Goodluck

•••
Just because a domain is not being used, it doesn't mean they are not interested with it.

It could be a defensive reg, to prevent people like you from making use of the name and threaten their interests today or in some future time.

I own many defensive regs myself, just to shut out the competition. Sometimes a competitor tries to TM the name and maybe planning eventually to reverse hijack me with a claim of domain "non-use". So what i do is, i put up a few static pages of pseudo company material to give an illusion that the domain is being "used".

It has nothing to do with their business or TM therefore that's not the case. I'm really not sure why they own it, it's not being used as i pointed out to them. I want it to develop, not to sell. I'll just wait and see if it drops, again like others said maybe it will auto renew, they still have three months.

I just wanted to know from them if they were going to renew it, if not would they give me a chance to purchase it. Not to be a broken record but hopefully the CEO will reply one way or another.

•••
This is about a domain with four months left on it? lol Dude they are going to renew it and your wasting time and energy and FedEx money. Do a backorder incse and forget it. This name in a company's stash for a reason and your contacts with them even more red flags its a keeper. Goodluck

You may be correct, time will tell I guess.

•••
This is so funny!
Waste time and money for a domain that can not be had.
Do as told, backorder it now and see what happens.
Either you get it or you wasted more time and money.

•••
This is so funny!
Waste time and money for a domain that can not be had.
Do as told, backorder it now and see what happens.
Either you get it or you wasted more time and money.

I've been told no several times in business, so a little time and little money doesn't really bother me. I do appreciate the replies and advise and will backorder when it gets close to the drop.

•••
What's up with this company? I'm trying to purchase their domain that will drop in 3 months but they don't sell domains!

What makes you think it will drop in three months? Presumably they will have it set to 'Auto renew' if they don't want to dispose of it.....

•••
What makes you think it will drop in three months? Presumably they will have it set to 'Auto renew' if they don't want to dispose of it.....

It may not drop, it may auto renew. My domains listed at NS auto renew three months before expiration so I guess each register is different.

•••
Try hard buddy. If you try and reach the right person you might really get it.
Ignore the barking comments.
Call them you might get some response.

•••
Rightly said. They might even are not interested in selling this domain.

•••
It may not drop, it may auto renew. My domains listed at NS auto renew three months before expiration so I guess each register is different.

You should be able to find out which registrar the domain is registered at, and then find out when auto-renews happen with that registrar. I had domains at a registrar which auto-renewed domains literally the day before expiry date.

•••
It's all good, time will tell but I'll keep trying until I see the renewal, or drop. Why would I not?

•••
You should be able to find out which registrar the domain is registered at, and then find out when auto-renews happen with that registrar. I had domains at a registrar which auto-renewed domains literally the day before expiry date.

I know who it is, I will check. TY

•••
It has nothing to do with their business or TM therefore that's not the case. I'm really not sure why they own it
You will be surprised what kind of domain names some other big businesses own, that appear to have nothing to do with their business.

The fact that the domain did not drop and was renewed last year, says that they need the domain for whatever reason.

People here already told you about doing a backorder. I am here just to say "why" some entities are keeping domains that may appear to be "useless" to someone else.

•••
You will be surprised what kind of domain names some other big businesses own, that appear to have nothing to do with their business.

The fact that the domain did not drop and was renewed last year, says that they need the domain for whatever reason.

I'm not debating anything said here, I totally understand and agree. The point of this thread was, is it better to contact a company and see if they are willing to sell or wait for the drop if in fact it drops.

This domain has not been renewed in many years and was not renewed last year. It appears that it was reged by a management company/register for this company.

If they want to keep it, fine, again no debate here. Thanks for your input...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back