IT.COM

news Just sold : Sell My Jet dot com

NameSilo
Watch

ScalableDomains

ScalableDomains.comEstablished Member
Impact
Just completed a transaction for Sell My Jet dot com. 2073% return.

Picked up on 09/10 for $23. sent about 20 emails. Two responses. One closed deal.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No I dont concede that. If you want to buy jojo.com then you dont care about .net or .whatever.

If you cant get the .com you might as well take anything. This is not a healthy transparent marked that you can apply common business theory to. This is a market plagued by lack of of information, fragmented sellers and dreamers.

Buyers are, if possible, even less knowledgeable than the sellers. 99% of end users think 10$ is the right price for jojo.com. You want to convince them otherwise by showing them how Billy Redneck is asking 1 million for something you think is similar. You need real numbers. Asking prices are not real numbers.

•••
I disagree, and evidently my buyers disagree because when I quote comparables to them to support my asking, they too agree and fall into line, if they are serious buyers to begin with, I mean. I don't think I am on to anything new here, but if no domainer is quoting comparable listings, then I am happy to be the only one doing so. Of course I quote both offerings and closed listings, both, just like I did above.

But I am actually shocked that you think that comparable offerings are irrelevant. Try to sell your bignames dot com for $30,000. then, when bigname dot com is for sale for $1500., because that is what you are saying, that you don't care and don't even look at comparable offerings.

Last edited:
•••
"I dont care about the alternatives at all since they are not comparable." I disagree with that. That's the market. If for example jojo dot net is being offered for $2200. then you must come in and offer your jojo dot com for more. Or if let's say you are seeing bigname dot com being offered for $1500 you can't come in and ask $30,000. for bignames dot com even if it is better. You don't concede that?

At a minimum comparable offerings are your competition and you must price your offerings within that market.
That logic is ridiculous. Example, accountingbooksonline.com is listed on Sedo for $10,001,000. Yes 10 million dollars so if you owned accountingbooks.com you would say that my domain has to be worth more than 10 million since it's a much better domain. Right? Bottom line, you can't use other people's outrageous pricing to try and sell your domains. Any potential buyer would laugh their ass off if you used this example as a comparable.

•••
Just like in any statistics, there are data that must be thrown out. Common sense would tell you to ignore an offering like that, but if everyone you run into that day is telling you that you have a tail, you'd better at least take a look behind you. :sneaky:

Meaning, that if all of the comparable offerings are grouped in a certain range, it means something.

Last edited:
•••
I think you have the idea of a transparent perfect market where buyers make informed decisions. That market does not exist. Not in ANY industry.

Here in this market in particular you can throw out 99% of your so called "comparable pricing" data.. How do you decide what 1% to take into account? You are shocked by me not using that data as comps.. I am unfortunately not shocked that you would.

•••
I am sure that you look at comparable offerings. You're just so locked into this thread that you can't back down now and admit otherwise.

•••
Just like in any statistics, there are data that must be thrown out. Common sense would tell you to ignore an offering like that, but if everyone you run into that day is telling you that you have a tail, you'd better at least take a look behind you. :sneaky:

Meaning, that if all of the comparable offerings are grouped in a certain range, it means something.
It could be that one asshole owns all the domains you're comparing and that's why they are all similar in price.

•••
I am sure that you are convinced that you must be right.. I heard that from the start.

•••
"It could be that one a*hole owns all the domains you're comparing and that's why they are all similar in price."

Maybe. lol.

•••
I am sure that you are convinced that you must be right.. I heard that from the start.

As Anthony Burgess said, "The point is that it works!"

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure which business school you got your theory from, but I never heard anyone trying to convince me use the argument "It must mean something". Maybe it means something, but it does not mean anything for the value of your asset.

I am not convinced it works at all. To me you are a little out there TBH. I know what works though and its not telling people "you should buy this because that other one is more/less expensive". I have more luck with actual data, customer acquisition price, expected added traffic, cost of keywords in the niche and a number of other hard figures.

What I can understand though, is that if you find it hard understanding what data is actually important its easier just to say "but that guy wants 10 million, so probably mine is worth the same".

•••
Yeah well, you apparently like to boil things down and make them easy to understand for yourself before commenting. A common dicto simpliciter fallacy. All those things you just said are not what I said.

•••
Yeah thats the issue for sure. Why even comment on my arguments if you have nothing to add. I think backing down is the right thing for you to do. So kudos on that at least.

•••
He took the money, smart move. Overanalyzing doesn't work, dollars do. His bank account is flush. While we debate it he can go buy a tv or pay a bill.

Last edited:
•••
Congratulations on the sale and on finding this domain for $23. That is excellent. If they are even 70% as good as myJet.com, the future's bright imo.

•••
congrats how did he contact you? did you pay a commish to unireg?

•••
He said he outbounded 20 emails

•••
Well that's why you won't be selling domains for much, because you already don't believe in yourself, and in the power of what you may use to support your asking prices. The further proof is in that you think $400. for this domain was "a fine sale." That's what is laughable.

Anyway, we all have different approaches, and what works for me may not work for you. But why it won't work for you is not because asking prices are not relevant, but because you have convinced yourself that they are not. So if you don't believe it, of course neither will your buyers.

"Don't believe in yourself" @xynames. It is about cash flow.
Imo the domain is not worth $50k, but here are some comparable sale below:
sellmyhousefast.co.uk 6,360 USD 2012-09-12 Sedo
sellmycar.com 5,888 USD 2004-07-19 Afternic
sellmyhousenow.com 3,500 USD 2007-12-01 Sedo
sellmyland.com 3,200 USD 2017-01-04 Uniregistry
sellmyhouse.ca 2,500 USD 2016-09-27 Sedo
howtosellmybusiness.com 2,000 USD 2016-06-05 Uniregistry
sellmywebsite.com 1,750 USD 2011-01-15 Sedo
helpsellmyhouse.com 1,500 USD 2013-09-02 Afternic
sellmysite.com 1,400 USD 2010-11-22 Sedo
sellmybike.com 1,250 USD 2017-07-15 GoDaddy
needtosellmyhouse.com 1,200 USD 2015-06-30 Uniregistry
sellmywedding.com 1,200 USD 2013-08-26 Afternic
sellmyestate.com 1,200 USD 2012-09-09 Afternic
sellmy.com 898 USD 2014-05-16 NameJet
sellmybiz.com 877 USD 2015-09-15 Sedo
sellmyboat.com 725 USD 2014-08-13 SnapNames
Thanks for the details. However, it does not tell how long they held the name until it sold. This one was held for <30 days. I appreciate it though.

•••
Different keyword, but same industry, WheelsUp.com was a $50K sale, and the buyer later claimed they got a $500K offer, which they declined.

Just like that guy that sold Hatred.com and they resold it for $150K. But the beauty of domaining that it you can have the same opportunity again. No regrets.

•••
•••
•••
No you are right. I only did 930k USD in sales last year.

Who knows what I would have made had I had your brains and experience. Its obvious you know what you are talking about..............
Lets' keep it civil. We are all learning from this. If you made $930K in sales. Great! I know I want to be there. Thanks for your imput.

•••
•••
•••
It could be that... (someone)... owns all the domains you're comparing and that's why they are all similar in price.

But it also could be that one person would own the same domain in multiple extensions, rendering the metric on the number of TLDs, etc. a domain exists in a rather misleading one.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back