IT.COM

.com Just SOLD CryptoCorp .com for $16.5k

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Held it since 2000. Maybe sold it too early, but good luck to the new owner.

Still pretty happy with the sale after hand registering it years ago. :xf.smile:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sale was made thru NP. I found him in the Domains Wanted section.

Yes I could have possibly held it for longer and got a better offer down the road, but at some point you have to pull the trigger. Good luck to him if he can get some more profit out of it. Everyone wins. (y)

•••
Congrats - respect for regging this in 2000! (y)

•••
This is the 3rd highest keyword + “Corp” sale ever reported, and THE highest since 2013.

Tough for anyone to say it was undersold IMO.

•••
Wow, respect for such a long hold! And for your vision of course. Who would think back in 2000 such a name would have any sense, let alone such value... Congrats!
Thanks......Cryptography was around in the 90's in a form. Just not in the form as we know it today. I was lucky to be honest. (y)

•••
That's a long hold. Congrats

•••
Good Name, u left some money on the table IMO.
But all is well that ends well. Hoping to learn of the transaction details.
Pretty sure he sold it to @MarketingStrategies.com

Good sale considering it’s gone to another investor.

Yes, could certainly sell for more to an end-user but this was hand reg to 16k+... Very nice ROI.

Last edited:
•••
Held it since 2000. Maybe sold it too early, but good luck to the new owner.

Still pretty happy with the sale after hand registering it years ago. :xf.smile:
Amazing hold 18 years, I think you timed it right, don’t second guess it, seems buyer, and seller are happy.

He had a great sale on coinex.com, and looks like he treated you very fair for a reseller purchase.

•••
Not sure what all this arguing and debating is about. The fact of the matter is @MarketingStrategies.com sees value in this domain name and that should be the end of the matter. We should be congratulating both buyer and seller and wishing them all the best.

•••
Amazing sale. Just curious, what made you hand-reg it back then, before the hype around cryptocurrencies had started? :)

Back then I was buying names that I thought would have value in the future from newish type technologies (Bought a lot of Stem Cell names too). And it was purely bought with obviously Cryptography in mind, no Bitcoin back then. I thought the Crypto and Corp were a good combo.

No I'm not Satochi :xf.grin:

•••
Hats off to you, particularly in holding on to something thats was years ahead of becoming a thing.

Curious though, methinks in 2000 no one really had an inkling of bitcoin/crypto/blockchain future. You have to think, blockchain.com wasnt regg'ed until 2011, bitcoin.com wasn't regg'ed until 2008. Tells me you were thinking something completely different with CryptoCorp...something along the lines of its real intended meaning, cryptography, but not in the financial transaction sense?

So this really is amazing, how the keyword stayed true to its origin, yet morphed into the wildly popular "digital money" term its associated with today.

Yes exactly, my thinking at the time was purely along the lines of Cryptography. And I just held onto it and didn't even think about it much until I started getting offers for it a few years ago. I am pretty sure I could have got more in the future, but, then again, who knows? (y)

I did the same with a lot of stemcell names too, as I thought stemcells may be a huge thing in the future too.

Last edited:
•••
I think $16,500 is a fair price for CryptoCorp.com given the fact that the buyer who recognized value in it had the $$$$$$$$$ coming out of $1/2M sale. $16.5k is not even a drop in the Crypto bucket, see this Cryptocurrency visualization: https://elementus.io/visualization-token-fest

This is how venture capitalists and domainers work too. They would invest $X in Y projects. Their 90% projects / properties would sink but the 10% would give them good to amazing returns. In the long run though, it comes to 35-40% annual returns for the VCs.

•••
Just Google Crypto corp and you will see that it is obviously not an issue. You cant TM a generic term and then try to inforce it on everyone that uses that name. Crypto is a generic word that has been in use for crypto for a long time. If someone TM crypto and was using it for a car or a skateboard then yes it would be enforceable. Just like apple. if they were selling apples they wouldn't be able to enforce the TM on other people selling apples, but computers they have it sewed up.
MTC

•••
It is not being a troll. It's just that when members post incorrect information it may wrongly influence newbies who believe them to take high risks. All buyer has to do is post why it is not a TM violation. Reason he is not doing that is there is no valid explanation so he stays silent on it. And you are also wrong on it, in fact it everything to do with changing hands from a sale. As far as I know and have read many times, purchase date resets the clock so buyer cannot claim name was reg'd long before the TM.

Infringing ads are also not always an issue because you risk a WIPO case loss even with no ads as the name itself is the main risk factor not always based on the ads, if any. Infringing ads only make the WIPO case or lawsuit more solid for plaintiff but a lack does not reduce likelihood of a win.

When a member posts about a sale it's for bragging rights or to get feedback on the price he managed to sell it for, be it high or low and domain value. That's what he got here, tons of feedback. If seller did not want opinions or possible negativity he should not have started thread, or buyer should not have participated. Again I repeat there were other members who posted about the TM issue before I chimed-in.
I don't have to do anything. Again, no respect = no response.

Anyone who would like to inquire can DM me. No debates with trolls, period. Next time try asking a question like, "do you have any concerns about..."

I sold coinex (/.com) and squarefoot (/.com) last year. If concerned about existing trademarks, do your research, get the knowledge you need and don't infringe on anyone's intellectual property.

•••
Not bad sale! Congrats! :xf.smile:
Now just regged Crypto*Incorp.com & Crypto*Incorporation.com

•••
Great sale!
Lesson: If you have a good name, ignore the usual $100-500 budget on 'Domain Buyer Requests' :xf.grin:

•••
I think for everybody that's saying it's undersold is nuts. I highly doubt the buyer will ever see his money back in his life Corp doesn't sell that well. there's way better crypto + keywords the buyer could have bought for 16.5
Congrats to the seller you made out like a fat rat. Holding a name for 20 years is awesome especially when it pays out like this.

•••
I assume you're saying this about others cause you would have taken same amount or less?

Yes, I would've taken anything over 10k and added more relevant inventory.

It's always easy for people to say 'too cheap' 'undersold' etc, it all depends on what you want to achieve from your investment.

•••
Much prefer the Corp in all respects. CO is a nice name but I don't see same value proposition for both.

they are both great. but if I had to pick.. at similar price.. I'd pick corp too.

it fits well as synonym for organization.. firm.. entity.. a very powerful sounding keyword imo.. something that says authority.. I always liked the corp keyword.

well.. cheers.. gl.

•••
Just Google Crypto corp and you will see that it is obviously not an issue. You cant TM a generic term and then try to inforce it on everyone that uses that name. Crypto is a generic word that has been in use for crypto for a long time. If someone TM crypto and was using it for a car or a skateboard then yes it would be enforceable. Just like apple. if they were selling apples they wouldn't be able to enforce the TM on other people selling apples, but computers they have it sewed up.
MTC

I agree.

Let me add little more to it.

CREDITREPORTS.COM

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4802:ogw8hm.11.5

FREECREDITREPORT.COM

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4802:ogw8hm.12.1

Both above are live Servicemark. Both offer same service. Still they enjoy their business because they both doing business into their own generic meaning of the name.

Just sharing with intention to learn something. If someone come up with better understanding I wont mind learning something new.

Thanks

•••
Awesome sale dude, congrats!

Nice long hold, great domain too.

Seller was happy with the price, buyer was happy with the price. Mutually beneficial deal..everyone was happy.

•••
Held it since 2000.
Hats off to you, particularly in holding on to something thats was years ahead of becoming a thing.

Curious though, methinks in 2000 no one really had an inkling of bitcoin/crypto/blockchain future. You have to think, blockchain.com wasnt regg'ed until 2011, bitcoin.com wasn't regg'ed until 2008. Tells me you were thinking something completely different with CryptoCorp...something along the lines of its real intended meaning, cryptography, but not in the financial transaction sense?

So this really is amazing, how the keyword stayed true to its origin, yet morphed into the wildly popular "digital money" term its associated with today.

•••
•••
Wow, respect for such a long hold! And for your vision of course. Who would think back in 2000 such a name would have any sense, let alone such value... Congrats!

•••
its a tough call cause its a lot of money... but it is a great domain.. and @MarketingStrategies.com certainly strikes me as a fellow who knows what he is doing and talking about.... ;)
Yes...this is the problem I had to think about before I agreed to sell. I was thinking maybe I could hold longer for an even better sale. But in the end I was assured of $16.5k now or HOPE for more later.
Good luck if he gets more for it later. We both win! (y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back