IT.COM

Just registered a bunch of Brady Names -

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
After reading an article on Tom Brady trying to buy TB12 and failing I decided to buy a bunch of TB12 domain names.
What are the odds I get sued?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pretty good as TB12 has recently trademarked in quite a few classes.

•••
He'll send his offensive line to your house to beat the name out of your account.

•••
Why would you even bother?? Have you not learned anything since you joining in 2011???????

•••
•••
If he wants it he'll sue, just doesn't seem like the type to me that would negotiate without lawyers etc.

•••
If he wants it he'll sue, just doesn't seem like the type to me that would negotiate without lawyers etc.
I just thought it would be a good and see what happens but I agree with you in hindsight

•••
And your admission of your purchasing it because he hadn't yet, in a public forum such as this, is an automatic UDRP loss of the names if filed! Hope you didn't spend too much or plan on selling them to him either.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Ummmm TB12 how is this an automatic urdp? I mean sure tombrady1,2,3,4,5,6 etc. That's obvious but TB12?

I'm missing something aren't I?

•••
It's an admission that the trademarked domains were registered in bad faith!

•••
It's an admission that the trademarked domains were registered in bad faith!
I didn't admit anything was trademarked? Where did you get that?

•••
•••
•••
After reading an article on Tom Brady trying to buy TB12 and failing I decided to buy a bunch of TB12 domain names.
What are the odds I get sued?
TB12 owns 24 Live trademarks, so unless you plan on calling your company 12 Terrabytes or something of the sort and doing business in a classification not covered by TB12's current 24 trademarked classifications there is a more than EXCELLENT chance you would lose a UDRP if one was filed for any of your TB12 names that infringed in a classification in which TB12 is trademarked, especially if the UDRP panel was presented with this thread.

•••
Not sure of the odds, but I hope you get sued for being stupid.

Not surprised Monte was furious with you. He should've sued you also.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Get a grace delete and move on.

Thats like buying Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan names. The elite are branded and will certainly protect their brand.

STUPID.STUPID might be available still.

•••
To anyone who wants to call names and try to goad me into an argument, it won't work.
I am a very confident person and I am comfortable with any decision I make.
If you need to call me names - go ahead, it doesn't bother me.
I don't need you for any validation in my life - I am very well educated- have an awesome career and I love taking chances on names because I can.
You can make fun of me all you want, it just shows your insecurities.

•••
Not sure of the odds, but I hope you get sued for being stupid.

Not surprised Monte was furious with you. He should've sued you also.
I'm not hiding from Monte - he knows how to contact me.

•••
Because they own the trademark does that translate to having an "entitlement" to the domain name ? Especially if that name has not been registered it should be available to use as something unrelated to the trademarked product category by anyone . I think maybe ALL trademarked names should be posted and not offered for sale by the Governing body for a certain period of time giving the morons who own the trademarked name time to wake up and spend 12.00

•••
Agreed, Trademark Law and UDRP process each have their own intricacies, and each and every case is different. Yes, different companies can share the same trademark for different distinct product or service classes, so it is possible for multiple companies to have a legal right "entitlement" to the same domain name. But just because a trademarked domain name is not registered doesn't mean it's up for grabs, for anyone to use for any reason. If you really have your heart set on registering a trademarked companies domain name, you should be willing to apply for and be granted a trademark for a different and separate product class or service as the other trademark holder or holders, and then use the domain for distinctly different products or services than the other trademark holders, so as not to confuse the general public, otherwise you open yourself up to a UDRP filing, if the trademark holder wants to prevent you from using their trademark in your domain name, because they feel you are infringing their trademark for your own monetary gain. It is unrealistic in today's economy to expect any company to protect their trademark in each and every TLD (over 1,000 now) as it would be virtually impossible for most companies financially to achieve this year in and year out.

•••
Agreed, Trademark Law and UDRP process each have their own intricacies, and each and every case is different. Yes, different companies can share the same trademark for different distinct product or service classes, so it is possible for multiple companies to have a legal right "entitlement" to the same domain name. But just because a trademarked domain name is not registered doesn't mean it's up for grabs, for anyone to use for any reason. If you really have your heart set on registering a trademarked companies domain name, you should be willing to apply for and be granted a trademark for a different and separate product class or service as the other trademark holder or holders, and then use the domain for distinctly different products or services than the other trademark holders, so as not to confuse the general public, otherwise you open yourself up to a UDRP filing, if the trademark holder wants to prevent you from using their trademark in your domain name, because they feel you are infringing their trademark for your own monetary gain. It is unrealistic in today's economy to expect any company to protect their trademark in each and every TLD (over 1,000 now) as it would be virtually impossible for most companies financially to achieve this year in and year out.
Thank you - great explanation. I hand registered so Im not on the hook for much. Might just see how it plays out.

•••
Trust me, you won't be alone in this dilemma for long, as just for fun I searched for and was presented with the option to purchase 243 domain choices for TB12(dot)whatever, all at regular hand reg. prices. TB12's trademarks are all fairly new so they are not that well known right now but as it becomes more known to the general public, more people will register TB12.something thinking it's the steal of the century only to learn later about trademarks and UDRP's. But in the end, a trademark is only as strong as a company is willing to defend it, and in my experience, only a handful of companies are guard dogs about filing UDRP's for domain registrations that are not currently being used (cybersquatted). Those being used for monetary gain by confusing customers of the original trademark holder for similar products or services are a different story and usually end up in a UDRP filing. I think I'll register TB12.shop ($6.88) and give it to him as a present for being the GOAT as they say! :xf.wink:
Cheers!

•••
Ha! I am from Buffalo and he destroys us every year, I have another name for him

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back