Dynadot

Just Google it

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ypn

Established Member
Impact
Has anyone else noticed a high increase of advertisers either via radio or on tv using the term 'just google keyword' in their commercials?
I've heard at least 4 of these on the radio in the past week, mostly local ads... Maybe one day soon domains will no longer have such a high meaning if this catches on.
aol keyword:
google keyword:
:]

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A very bad idea if you ask me. What if you are not #1 when the ad makes the airwaves? Your compet. could have made an anti-your-company site and took over the #1 spot...

•••
Well this is the same reason hotmail, yahoo and ebay are in top 100 searches.

Your right about the danger of someone taking over the #1. My SE0 Software review site comes in above the actual product homepages for several programs.

•••
Try searching for paypal.

Ranking is:
1. Paypal.com
2. paypalsucks.com
3. paypalwarning.com

You'd risk that?

Besides, anytime at all, paypalsucks.com might become the first ;)

•••
some company prefer to hit it with normal people within their vicinity, easier to attract local customers.

•••
wcolby said:
Well this is the same reason hotmail, yahoo and ebay are in top 100 searches.

Your right about the danger of someone taking over the #1. My SE0 Software review site comes in above the actual product homepages for several programs.

Hi, that sounds like an interesting website, can you post a link?

•••
By asking people to google a term instead of directly going to the website will not build value in the domain itself. I would strongly go against it.

•••
why risk. just let them know the domain loud and clear :)

•••
I have seen commercials like that. Just seems like an odd way to get to a website.

•••
Anthony said:
Just seems like an odd way to get to a website.
at least 90% of my traffic comes from google, so it's not really all that odd. I just don't see any advantage to it from an advertiser's perspective unless possibly there's seo benefits for clicks from search results. Or possibly google pays part of the bill?

•••
This marketing technique may be an effective alternative to giving out domain names. Giving out your domain name on the radio is subject to the potential customer mispelling, mistyping or otherwise screwing it up. If your address is www.counter-tech.net, for instance, visitors may end up at countertech.com, counter-tech.com, countertech.net, countertek.net etc)

But like was mentioned before, it is dangerous because your potential customers could be led to competitor sites that rank well in Google for your keywords. Smart companies should make sure their domain names are short easy to remember, and pass the "radio test".

•••
I always figured that if your name was memorable, the customer/prospect would type it in the address bar. Once I started tracking the "Came From" information, MANY people just type the address into their prefered search engine - .com and all. This is an eye opener, as it does open the door for competitors and/or distractions. :|

•••
maximumhost said:
Has anyone else noticed a high increase of advertisers either via radio or on tv using the term 'just google keyword' in their commercials?

I've noticed it in the local radio here as well. It'd be easier for them to say the domain as that's what I prefer but there's a whole road of problems and issues with that as well that's already been mentioned above. Especially for less experienced Internet users who aren't familiar with extensions, hyphens, etc.

It could also confuse listeners who are Internet "Newbies" and don't know about Google as they may not know what that means as well. :|

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back