IT.COM

Jewelry.com Rebranding To Welry.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just got an email about this one. Going from Jewelry.com to Welry.com

What do you guys thing about that one? I think it's nuts. It's all jewelry, so they have the perfect name already. Radio test, saying it out loud, I think a lot would spell it Wellry, with 2 l's. Then ask, what is a Welry?

http://www.jewelry.com already redirecting to Welry

This is their reasoning:

"What is Welry? Welry is on a mission to create the digital destination for all things jewelry. As part of the Richline Group, one of the largest jewelry manufacturers in the US, we're using our long-standing knowledge in the jewelry industry to offer customers the best quality, choice, and guidance."

--------
I still like Buy.com over Rakuten.com. They actually had to do commercials explaining what Rakuten is.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Typo name google will correct spelling if googled probably has less strength than the new name.
Jewelry.com

Jewelry is an incorrect spelling.

The correct spelling is Jewellery

Jewelry is the preferred spelling in American English, while jewellery is the preferred spelling in British English.

Last edited:
•••
If they plan to keep selling just jewels I think is a silly move. Doesn't make sense to me.

If they want to expand and sell other things makes sense, but from the email pasted above this is not the case.

Just wondering how much they paid to the branding agency that had this brilliant idea.

Maybe I should open one agency, I will not make worse than this and for a much lower price, lol...

Last edited:
•••
Jewelry.com

The correct spelling is
Jewellery

In British English, Indian English, New Zealand English, Hiberno-English, Australian English, and South African English it is spelled jewellery, while the spelling is jewelry in American English. Both are used in Canadian English, though jewelry prevails by a two to one margin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewellery

https://www.etsy.com/c/jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/c/jewellery Not Found

https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/
https://www.tiffany.com/jewellery/ Not Found

https://www.amazon.com/Jewelry/b?ie=UTF8&node=7192394011
https://www.amazon.com/Jewellery/b?ie=UTF8&node=7192394011 The title is WOMEN'S JEWELRY

Last edited:
•••
Jewel dot com has a sales lander, would rather try and get that one in that case. maybe sell off the current name to fund it if need be. Especially if they plan to start selling overseas one day, due to the jewelry/jewellery issue

•••
British spelling is always longer than American

US: Ass
Brits: Arse

US: Color
Brits: Colour

US: Armor
Brits: Armour

Last edited:
•••
Not a bad move since they don't own jewellery.com.

•••
Oooh, I wasn't aware of that variation.

•••
•••
elry.com better than welry but still a better brand would be jewelry.com. Elry.com has a min offer of 16k and a bin of 25k on afternic (I do not own it). But to go with elry they would have to remove the letters jew and that certainly would not make sense if you are in the Jewelry business.

•••
It's certainly an interesting move but more or less expected.

From a business perspective, a brandable name makes much more sense because majority of the marketing effort won't be wasted on helping competitors (i.e. when you think about the brand Zales you think about buying from one of their stores; when you think about Jewelry you think about buying from any store because it's hard to make the connection to Jewelry.com right away).

You can also trademark brandables which offers a lot of legal protection. For instance, you can't trademark "Jewelry" for a service that offers jewelry but you can trademark "Welry". This helps make the brand exclusive meaning you will be the only one in the world that's able to legally sell products with that name.

I think we in the domain world sometimes forget that branding is very important for businesses. People no longer type domains directly into their browsers like they used to back in the day. Today, they use search engines, mobile apps, and voice devices like Amazon Echo and Google Home to find products.

Now sure this company could've used something better than "Welry" but as we all know finding good domain names that are still available is pretty damn hard!

•••
They had the category defining domain in the right US spelling and they choose to rebrand with a low xxxx value domain, this is silly. I understand all the guys in the "brandable domains" are going to say they made a good move but they didn't.

I think everybody will be more likely to click on jewelry.com in the google search results than in werly.com.

The fist one has authority, the second one says "we didn't have the the money to get jewelry.com", so it means "we are cheap"! The funny thing is that they have the other name!

Last edited:
•••
So they just removed "je" but it's a pretty decent name, it's shorter and might be easier for some as even I sometimes mess up the spelling of jewelry, haha.

•••
Jewelry.com

The correct spelling is
Jewellery

•••
Seriously though, if I was spending serious coin I would go after Jewel.com

That is a real gem of a domain.

Unless of course I could get gem.com then all bets are off!!

•••
It's October, not April.

Had to make sure.

•••
Typo name google will correct spelling if googled probably has less strength than the new name.

•••
Welry.com is short, brandable and appealing to the eyes, imo. The problem is people might not get the correct spelling of it.

•••
I agree with the OP.

Welry looks horrible.

•••
I don't mind brandable. But Welry looks odd and sounds awful.

Imagine on the radio someone saying, visit Welry dot com.

I'd have no idea what they said.

Jewl.com - great!
Jool.com - I could get behind that
Jewlr.com - sure

But Welry :xf.cry:

•••
From a business perspective, a brandable name makes much more sense because majority of the marketing effort won't be wasted on helping competitors (i.e. when you think about the brand Zales you think about buying from one of their stores; when you think about Jewelry you think about buying from any store because it's hard to make the connection to Jewelry.com right away).

Mr. Patel, I just want to say that is the most profoundly and concisely intelligent thing I have read on this forum in years.

•••
It's certainly an interesting move but more or less expected.

You can also trademark brandables which offers a lot of legal protection. For instance, you can't trademark "Jewelry" for a service that offers jewelry but you can trademark "Welry". This helps make the brand exclusive meaning you will be the only one in the world that's able to legally sell products with that name.

I think we in the domain world sometimes forget that branding is very important for businesses. People no longer type domains directly into their browsers like they used to back in the day. Today, they use search engines, mobile apps, and voice devices like Amazon Echo and Google Home to find products.

Now sure this company could've used something better than "Welry" but as we all know finding good domain names that are still available is pretty damn hard!

If Booking.com got brand protection I think they can get as well with Jewelry.com.

By the way good luck market a name like Welry.com. It will be expensive, the other one markets itself. you don't have to convince somebody to click as it is obvious that the domain define what they sell and being a generic gives instant trust to the client.

Will someone more likely to book an hotel on these sites: Hotels.com Booking.com or for example on a brandable like Trivago.com?

The last one had to invest many many millions in advertising. I still remember the guy on TV explaining to me in every commercial what the site is about...

The other two domains don't need someone explain what their business is about, they don't millions in advertising to try to get some credibility...

Last edited:
•••
The rebranding of Jewelry.com to Welry.com seems one of the most ridiculous rebranding I've ever seen.

•••
Agree. Makes. No. Sense.

"to create the digital destination for all things jewelry." Drop the 'ry' instead.
That's what I had in mind for Jewelurl.com ... as adding an 'e' (jewelery) is a common mistake.

•••
Not impressed. Jewelry.com is the perfect name for dealing in jewelry. On a side note, I have Jewelry.cx

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back