Domain Empire

Japanese blog reports "we aren't just a little too late..."

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Thought you guys would enjoy reading this one from the blogosphere posted July 18th.

日本語ドメインは、SEOにいいらしいですよ。(現在では)

昔から話題になってはいたのは知ってたんですが、個人的に「日本語ドメインってどうなの?」って疑っていました。

あわてて、ムームードメイン
で、日本語ドメインを探してみました。

ナイスな日本語ドメインは、ないですね。
“一足遅かった” どころではなく、かなり遅かったようです。(プロアフィリエイトの皆さんには「なにをいまさら!」と笑われそうですが・・・)

http://affiliate.takuwan.com/blog/2007/07/post_21.html

Loose translation:
Japanese domains are supposedly good for SEO purposes (at the present)

Since ages ago, I knew that they had become a point of conversation, and personally I thought, "what are Japanese domains?"

So at MuMu domains, I looked for Japanese domain names.

All the good Japanese domains are gone. I mean, we aren't just talking about being a little bit too late, we're talking about being really really late. (This is the point at which you professional affiliate guys out there are laughing and saying, "you don't say!"...)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Can't say I am into Japanese domains..

•••
King Justice said:
Can't say I am into Japanese domains..

It's ok King if you aren't into the second largest economy in the world, the course of history doesn't change much as a result. Fact is, the best Japanese domains are already taken and being held, you getting in now wouldn't change the course of the next 24 months at least.

But just in case it wasn't clear, Japanese people call IDNs "Japanese domains" because they are domains in Japanese as opposed to ascii domains. No one calls them International Domain Names in Japan because it is irrelevant that domain names are available in other languages - just that finally they are available in Japanese.

Last edited:
•••
I don't believe people in Japan refer to them as IDN. They simply call them "日本語ドメイン (Japanese domain names,)

•••
DNWizardX9 said:
I don't believe people in Japan refer to them as IDN. They simply call them "日本語ドメイン (Japanese domain names,)

Read my post again, DNWizardX9, that's what I said exactly.

•••
DNWizardX9 said:

i think you forgot "語", "日本語ドメイン" = "japanese language domain names".

I got some high ovt japanese IDN, 2 with high ovt (with extension), but no traffic (they're parked at namedrive).

Anyone getting type in traffic in japanese IDN?

•••
rhys said:
Read my post again, DNWizardX9, that's what I said exactly.
I was saying this to everyone else that it isn't refered to IDN by the japanese... The japanese call it in their natural form in japanese, "japanese domain names"

~cowboy

•••
okapi said:

I got some high ovt japanese IDN, 2 with high ovt (with extension), but no traffic (they're parked at namedrive).

It's still pretty minimal, but people are starting to realize that they can type URLs in their wn language. Care to share what some of your high ovt domains are? Mine are at NameDrive too, although I think development is the way to go.

•••
domainstosell said:
It's still pretty minimal, but people are starting to realize that they can type URLs in their wn language. Care to share what some of your high ovt domains are? Mine are at NameDrive too, although I think development is the way to go.

amen to development! it is absolutely the way to go if you have the capabilities to do it.

•••
okapi said:

Yes, of course but it is not very financially significant at this time.

•••
My Japanese domains parked at Namedrive continue to do a bunch of nothing. Take a domain and put a small site on there and viola! it starts to perform well. Yahoo picks it up and ranks it generously, PPC are surprisingly high, clickthru rates are 20-25% (your mileage may vary) - all in all I've realized developing Japanese domains as fast as possible is the smart strategy. I expect the parked ones will continue to languish.

•••
bocanames said:
My Japanese domains parked at Namedrive continue to do a bunch of nothing. Take a domain and put a small site on there and viola! it starts to perform well. Yahoo picks it up and ranks it generously, PPC are surprisingly high, clickthru rates are 20-25% (your mileage may vary) - all in all I've realized developing Japanese domains as fast as possible is the smart strategy. I expect the parked ones will continue to languish.

Yes, Japanese domain names currently have extremely high SEO value and relatively low actual type-in value (although future potential of type-in is very very high) and in my book outweighs the current SEO value. Still, actualizing the SEO value pays the bills quite handsomely. I'm still surprised that some of the old school ascii guys are still peddling ascii japanese domain names. Ha ha.

•••
Yeah good points, and I do realize my temporary PPC gains are at the mercy of Yahoo. They're being very generous now with ranking new IDN sites, and cutting the traffic from Y! would hurt.

But hey, do I worry about the inevitable collapse of our inner solar system into our dying sun at some point in the future? Nah - carpe diem! And right now the search engines are my friends :)

•••
bocanames said:
Yeah good points, and I do realize my temporary PPC gains are at the mercy of Yahoo. They're being very generous now with ranking new IDN sites, and cutting the traffic from Y! would hurt.

But hey, do I worry about the inevitable collapse of our inner solar system into our dying sun at some point in the future? Nah - carpe diem! And right now the search engines are my friends :)

What happens happens, you have to seize the opportunity while it presents itself. Although for me, I try to create 3-6 page mini-sites that add some value or provide something that users cannot find elsewhere, not everyone is necessarily in a position to do this.

•••
Most Chinese IDNs are readable to Japanese, who used to use the exact form of characters (and still use a lot today) used in Chinese language. It is called Kanji in Japanese.

Japanese who can read Kanji are considered better educated. The same is true in Korea for Koreans who can read Chinese characters -- which also used to be the written language for Koreans. Likewise for Vietnamese written form -- until the French romanized it.

So, to have Chinese IDNs is as good as having Kanji IDNs. If you look at Japanese companies, most write their Japanese corporate names in Kanji, e.g. SONY, Mitsui, Matsushita, Fuji, Mitsubishi,Nissan, etc. etc.

•••
NP41215 said:
Most Chinese IDNs are readable to Japanese, who used to use the exact form of characters (and still use a lot today) used in Chinese language. It is called Kanji in Japanese.

Japanese who can read Kanji are considered better educated. The same is true in Korea for Koreans who can read Chinese characters -- which also used to be the written language for Koreans. Likewise for Vietnamese written form -- until the French romanized it.

So, to have Chinese IDNs is as good as having Kanji IDNs. If you look at Japanese companies, most write their Japanese corporate names in Kanji, e.g. SONY, Mitsui, Matsushita, Fuji, Mitsubishi,Nissan, etc. etc.

Dude this post is so, politely, "off the mark", I don't know where to begin.
This kind of armchair philosophy is amusing to me. "Japanese who can read Kanji are considered better educated." - ha ha..that would be 98% of the Japanese population. What are you TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?!?

btw, sony is written in katakana ソニ not kanji, companies named fuji sometimes use kanji "富士" but also sometimes use katakana "フジ" for their corporate names. There's this thing called the internet, its really helpful for research....ok, I'm being mean there, it is only because I'm tired of explaining to newcomers to IDN - but I know it is necessary to do.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back