IT.COM

domains James Booth sells Galatea.com for $275K

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
James Booth posted on Twitter/X that he sold Galatea.com for $275,000. A name from Greek Mythology you can read more here. There is a developed website on GetGalatea.com. They describe themselves as the world’s fastest-growing reading app. Congrats to James

Read More

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So if they wanted to move to something β€œbetter” like β€œbolt” they would be up for 7-figures for the name and another 6 figures in a rebranding process.
Another question I'd ask is whether the brand "Bolt" would even work for their business? Bolt is something I'd expect out of tech, because the connotations are quick and active, a "let's get things done" kind of deal. Galatea on the other hand connotes tradition and sustainability.

Both are spectacular brands, and while Bolt clearly has a wider user-case there are instances where Galatea would be preferred.

I'm a bit surprised Booth didn't ask for more. But this is one of the few sales were I'd say that there were no winners or losers. It sold for a price it should've sold for.

•••
For a few years the name was redirecting to https://www.zerozerotech.co.uk/

That's probably who James bought the domain from, they just used it for the redirect.

Zero-Zero Technologies Ltd. is a private incubator company operating in the media production and technology spaces.
If you are looking for our IT Architecture practice please see www.nonstopops.io.

Last edited:
•••
Can anyone explain how gala and tea combined is generic? It’s not tea. It’s not gala.

If it was green tea I’d understand. How is gala related to tea? I’ll wait… oh hold on it’s a unique brand created and marketed to have its own identity.

Holy moly how people applaud infringement on established brands!

This is ransom at its finest.

I get where you're coming from, the fact that we live in aa multilingual world where multiple spellings must be considered, I think there is a good argument for the Greek meaning or any other word in another language. Your Apple Computers analogy doesn't apply because that combo of syllables likely don't exist in any other language.

I don't know how many languages you speak Kieth, but this reminds me of the kind of American monolingual arrogance and ignorance that the international community finds both amusing and annoying.

•••
I get where you're coming from, the fact that we live in aa multilingual world where multiple spellings must be considered, I think there is a good argument for the Greek meaning or any other word in another language. Your Apple Computers analogy doesn't apply because that combo of syllables likely don't exist in any other language.

I don't know how many languages you speak Kieth, but this reminds me of the kind of American monolingual arrogance and ignorance that the international community finds both amusing and annoying.
I speak one language but after reading the replies it’s clear that this is a sale in good faith.

Congrats to the seller!

Last edited:
•••
For example, the complaint will say, "we had a press release on June 5, and the domain name was registered on June 7". Looks suspicious, eh?
I acquired a generic two-word .com domain during the crypto boom, which I later had to transfer to a company claiming trademark rights. I started negotiating for the domain weeks before any related news was published and finalized the purchase at a good price, but the domain was only transferred to my account a month after the news came out. I didn't buy it to target the company, but I had no knowledge about UDRP disputes at the time. If I had refused their warning and faced a UDRP complaint, would I have been able to defend my rights to the domain?

•••
I acquired a generic two-word .com domain during the crypto boom, which I later had to transfer to a company claiming trademark rights. I started negotiating for the domain weeks before any related news was published and finalized the purchase at a good price, but the domain was only transferred to my account a month after the news came out. I didn't buy it to target the company, but I had no knowledge about UDRP disputes at the time. If I had refused their warning and faced a UDRP complaint, would I have been able to defend my rights to the domain?

Unless you name the domain there's no way to definitively answer that.

•••

You can always defend, whether you win or not is another matter.

But if it was truly generic and you have a paper trail showing your interest before their trademark/news then I'd say it would be difficult for them to prove that it was registered and used in bad faith, which they would need to.

Last edited:
•••
You can always defend, whether you win or not is another matter.

But if it was truly generic and you have a paper trail showing your interest before their trademark/news then I'd say it would be difficult for them to prove that it was registered and used in bad faith, which they would need to.
Thank you for your kind advice. I'm still learning about the domain space and appreciate learning from experienced users on the forums.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back