Dynadot

It's Official - Domain Thief Daniel Goncalves Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Goncalves was sentenced to five years for stealing the domain name P2P.com from Internet entrepreneur Marc Ostrofsky and selling it on eBay.com for $121,000 to former NBA basketball player Mark Madsen.
Read more...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
If only you could get to the bottom of the Turkey.net and Limit.com mysteries!

Both appear to be stolen.

Time it was treated criminally. Thanks for the post.

•••
It's nice to see a domain thief serving time lol

•••
Wow strange story! Who knew Mark Madsen was a domain investor? Really interesting...

•••
Its amazing how long domains have been around and Im sure the likelihood of thousands of domains that have been stolen since that time...that this is the first scumbag to ever get sentenced to time in prison.

That just shows us how young the internet still is.

Great ending to a great beginning for the rest of us who fear this happening to us one day.

Huge kudos to Marc and Angel for fighting so hard for justice and instilling a newfound fear in any potential domaining thieves in the future.

and Thx to ThePoet and DNJournal for the story and post!

Vito

•••
It's nice to see a domain thief serving time
I'm sure he won't be able to sit on a chair for the next 5 years.

He gets screwed by Peer-2-Peer. Literally. lol

•••

Almost the worst joke, that made me almost laugh despite myself, I've ever heard.

•••
You humans have a very complex funny bone.

•••
Its amazing how long domains have been around and Im sure the likelihood of thousands of domains that have been stolen since that time...that this is the first scumbag to ever get sentenced to time in prison.

That just shows us how young the internet still is.

Great ending to a great beginning for the rest of us who fear this happening to us one day.

Huge kudos to Marc and Angel for fighting so hard for justice and instilling a newfound fear in any potential domaining thieves in the future.

and Thx to ThePoet and DNJournal for the story and post!

Vito

+

my dream would be lifetime prison for such scumbags and scammers anyway.

•••
Unfortunately this does not happen enough. Domain thieves, on way too many occasions just get away with it. Glad to see someone managed to get justice,

Last edited:
•••
Perhaps law enforcement will one day go after the felonious auction fraudsters too. I would love to see individuals at Snapnames, who perpetrated the largest admitted auction fraud in domain history, do time in prison for defrauding bidders out of thousands of dollars over at least a 4 or 5 year period. That's a bigger crime than one jerk stealing one domain.

And yes, thanks to DNjournal for the story. And also thanks to DNjournal for continuing to treat Snapnames as though they were saints and not criminals. It's a shame DNjournal doesn't seem to hold enough respect for its readers to shun domain auction entities which perpetrated huge fraud upon DNjournal's readers and others.

Last edited:
•••
I'm sure he won't be able to sit on a chair for the next 5 years.

Now imagine he was your son.

Still funny?

•••
A joke doesn't hurt a criminal.

Maybe you should ask that to the victims, and see if they found it funny after all the trouble they went through.

•••
•••
A joke doesn't hurt a criminal.

Maybe you should ask that to the victims, and see if they found it funny after all the trouble they went through.

Maybe you should ask innocent people and/or minor offenders sent to prison with rapists. Or their parents. Or their children. If you can't imagine your son or father being sent to prison and raped - and connect that with the fact that your comments are sick - then I don't know what to tell you.

Jokes about criminal acts, when widespread enough, make it difficult for anyone to do anything about the problem. It gets into the public consciousness that it's not a real problem because "it's funny".

You're missing the point that rape is a crime and the people it happens to are victims.

You're actually on the side of supporting criminal behavior. I don't think you've realized that.

Last edited:
•••
Hey, let's try to keep this thread civil, okay ppl?

•••
I don't think it's gotten uncivil. That's just my opinion, though. We're of differing minds and each making points. Once it gets to personal attacks, it's time to eject. :D lol

•••
It hadn't gotten to the point. I just sensed antagonism and as a mod, I just wanted to make sure :)

I don't think it's gotten uncivil. That's just my opinion, though. We're of differing minds and each making points. Once it gets to personal attacks, it's time to eject. :D lol

•••
I can only speculate why you have a soft spot for criminals. So i'm sorry if you got offended with the joke. I'm sure this felon found it funny, that he was laughing his a*s out while he was selling stolen property to Mark Madsen. Why he thought he can get away with it, that's what i cannot imagine.

Last edited:
•••
Selling stolen domains is common. Chances are, you've seen at least one in your career for sale, whether or not you knew it was stolen or not :p

Why he thought he can get away with it, that's what i cannot imagine.

•••
I can't wait to get my hands on those Inglorious Basterds!!

•••
I can only speculate why you have a soft spot for criminals.

To speak plainly, and not with antagonistic intent...

The fact here is that I'm the one against a crime, and you're the one apparently for it.

This leads to the conclusion that you're actually the one okay with a crime... and perhaps one of the most cruel and damaging ones, at that.

I have a "soft spot" for victims of crimes.

That includes innocent people who have their domain stolen, shoplifters who get beaten to death, hopeless drug addicts who O.D. on what someone sold them, convicted criminals who get murdered in prison...

And it includes people who get repeatedly and forcably raped over the course of several years because they comitted a computer crime.

It's tough to believe in justice and personal rights when faced with someone you don't feel "deserves them anymore"... but that's the truest test of whether or not someone actually believes in the concepts at all.

Last edited:
•••
I gave you some rep points just now, buddy. So i hope you can get it over with your prison joke trauma now. Otherwise, your nightmares will never end.

•••
It's tough to believe in justice and personal rights when faced with someone you don't feel "deserves them anymore"... but that's the truest test of whether or not someone actually believes in the concepts at all.

i have to admit, sometimes i don't believe in the concepts at all. for instance when i see a child rapist coming out of prison after 10 years, because some flowerpower psychologist attested that he is OK now. then two weeks after his release, he rapes a child again.

ask the parents of that child what they think about the concept.

btw, i think you are exaggerating and that you watch too many movies. it was a joke! i don't think that Alien would like to see Mr. Goncalves raped by Mr.-200 years in prison-"see you in the shower room".

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back