IT.COM

discuss It's impossible to win domain on SnapNames

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

YairDD

I'm cool, I think?Top Member
Impact
Is it just me or it's impossible to win an expired domain on Snapnames unless you want to extremely overpay?

Mostly because of a user called 'mesacinza' who probably uses a script and bids on every domain on the last second over and over again until they win, making auctions last for hours more than they should last for, and I always lose because the price goes too high for the name.

Good for them for being able to purchase 90% of Snapnames domains, but please let us spend our money too lol

Anyone else experiencing it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The time will tell whether their method is profitable. During ~20 years of my experience @ snapnames, I've seen a number of customers with such a bidding pattern. So far, all are gone... not bidding anymore... one, from Asia (Korea?) I think, had all his purchases subsequently dropped - noticed this since they consolidated domains with Korean registrars. In the meantime, I'd remain as calm as possible. Somebody wants to pay more? So be it... There is always a space to improve own filters and "win" unnoticed domains for $79 without bidding. Maybe such high spending customers do have some special discounts or anything similar (no, I do not accuse anybody, no access to snapnames accounting records anyway, but we should never forget how dirty is the industry we are all in).

•••
Hi

years ago, user "saggydimes" was always beating me to the punch at snap.

some of these bidders used to work for places like BuyDomains, etc.

expiring bids are much higher than past years and each year competition increases.

just gotta bid late or bid higher, if you wanna compete.

imo....

•••
Is it just me or it's impossible to win an expired domain on Snapnames unless you want to extremely overpay?

Mostly because of a user called 'mesacinza' who probably uses a script and bids on every domain on the last second over and over again until they win, making auctions last for hours more than they should last for, and I always lose because the price goes too high for the name.

Good for them for being able to purchase 90% of Snapnames domains, but please let us spend our money too lol

Anyone else experiencing it?

Don't know why so many downvotes.

I have also been experiencing this too. The user "mesacinza" always come to bid at last seconds and continue this kind of action for hours which is not possible by any human being. This is surely done by some kind of script / api setup.

The market is not fair when some people get access to api/script and most others don't because they spend less money on the platform.

A $200-$300 range name in normal situation is now closing for $800-$900 range because of the user mesacinza and snapnames won't mind providing any access mesacinza needs.

most of the names won by user mesacinza ends up being listed on an apparent brandbucket / squadhelp clone marketplace called perfectdomain. Com

It's not like they win every auction. I have outbid them and won names many times.

•••
Hi

years ago, user "saggydimes" was always beating me to the punch at snap.

some of these bidders used to work for places like BuyDomains, etc.

expiring bids are much higher than past years and each year competition increases.

just gotta bid late or bid higher, if you wanna compete.

imo....

I have mentioned this many times before - as an investor, the value proposition is usually not there at expired auctions.

While end user demand has increased over the years, reseller prices have gone up far faster.

It doesn't make sense to pay mid $XXX to high $XXX for a domain you price under $5,000 with a standard 1-2% sell through rate. You need a much higher margin for the business model to work.

The same type of domains could be acquired for low $XXX 5-10 years ago.

This is why I generally just avoid expired auctions at the moment.

Brad

•••
Just put your max and forget it. I agree it's about time the bot extend bidding machines are stopped.

•••
I stopped using GD auctions because of a similar situation with HugeDomains (extensive thread around here somewhere). If it's the case that only select customers are allowed API access like with GD I have to question how legal that is. Surely it has to be an even playing field? As has been said in the GD/HD thread, the only way to make things fair is to remove API access completely. However when making suggestions like this in that thread we were only offered an offensive, idiotic and condesending response from the GD rep.

•••
I agree it's about time the bot extend bidding machines are stopped
Yes, although the problem is registrars have no interest in stopping it. More $$ for them the longer it goes on.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back