NameSilo

It looks like I was outsmarted in a domain name sale.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I sold the name using escrow.com and transferred the domain to the buyer.

The buyer ended up changing the whois info for the domain he just bought from me and he says he didn't get the domain.

I can't figure out how to show that the domain was transferred to him and he received the domain.

Any suggestions or just chalk this one up to a lesson learned.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great to see progress being made, there are way too many scammers on the internet. >:(

•••
Update:

My original concern was that I had pushed the domain to the buyer then he changed the whois information to be different than the contact information that I had for him--so it made it difficult for me to prove that he was in receipt of the domain.

Escrow notified me that THEY, not the buyer, changed the status of the transaction to 'buyer accepted.'

I have since received the payment from escrow.com.

All is well.

Thank you.

•••
•••
Your supposed to get the money before you send the domain your the seller thats how it works.

•••
I think Escrow.com, as well as Sedo, should have the domains transferred to them,and then they transfer the domain to the buyer. But it's always been surprises that don't look like an escrow supposed to be.

•••
WiiSaid said:
Your supposed to get the money before you send the domain your the seller thats how it works.

This isn't how escrow works.. the buyer send them the money, you transfer the domain, they release the money to you.

•••
DNQuest.com said:
This isn't how escrow works.. the buyer send them the money, you transfer the domain, they release the money to you.

True.

It should (in theory) be 100% safe for both partys involved.

•••
I am glad to hear that you have been paid.

•••
Domain Jedi said:
I am glad to hear that you have been paid.

Me too!

It is a process that could definitely have tighter controls but it was nice to see that escrow.com was helpful too.

•••
Glad to hear that payment came through okay. Did Brandon offer any words of advice on how to advert a similiar situation like this in the future? I've used escrow.com for just about all of my big domain sales...

•••
escrow.com has always been great I have done a number of deals with them.

How did this get resolved? Did they get the buyer to admit it, or did the registar come through with info?

Any info would be appreciated, as this is a situation we all would like to avoid.

•••
btrader said:
escrow.com has always been great I have done a number of deals with them.

How did this get resolved? Did they get the buyer to admit it, or did the registar come through with info?

Any info would be appreciated, as this is a situation we all would like to avoid.

Escrow notified me that THEY, not the buyer, changed the status of the transaction to 'buyer accepted.'

I have since received the payment from escrow.com.

fonzie_007 said:
Did Brandon offer any words of advice on how to advert a similiar situation like this in the future?
No. But he was concerned that my issues were resolved.

•••
aliengg said:
I think Escrow.com, as well as Sedo, should have the domains transferred to them,and then they transfer the domain to the buyer.

Grand idea.

•••
FYI stumbled across this thread and thought I'd point out the Moniker.com uses this approach (transfer domain to them then they hold & release to buyer).

Has anyone had experience w/ Moniker escrow (both buyer and seller) as I was thinking to use them for a high value purchase I'm looking to make..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back