Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It FINALLY happened...

I received a cold email inquiring about a service company .com that I own. The email asked if the domain was for sale and if so, for how much. Naturally these types of emails tend to be the generic "I'll give you a ridiculous amount of money but we need to go through this [insert shady appraisal domain here] before we go through with the deal".

To waste as little time as possible, I responded with a simple "yes it's for sale.. $250 paypal only... GoDaddy only" . Three minutes later I got a counter offer for $150. No appraisal nonsense, no shady propositions. I accepted the offer and send my paypal email address. Again, expecting the worst...

Then it happened... Five minutes later paypal sent a confirmation email for the amount of $150!!! :sold: My FIRST unsolicited sale! VICTORY!!!!!!!

For everyone trying to get better at this hobby...

DON'T GIVE UP!

IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!

-Ribby :wave:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Congrats Mike!

Here's to many more :sold:

•••
Congrats on your sale....:tu:

•••
Awesome Congrats

but try moving up to names you wouldn't sell for $150 Goodluck

•••
Congrats on the sale! Was this a hand reg? Very nice ROI!

•••
•••
Congratulations man, hoping I get an unsolicited sale in the future. :)

•••
congrats on first sale ! hope many more in the future at much more ~

•••
•••
•••
Congrats!

It's like first sex :)

•••
•••
•••
Congrats and more to come!!!!

•••
•••
Congrats.
Don't forget that paypal payment can be reversed, for larger amounts or people you don't know prefer escrow ;)

•••
Always a vicarious pleasure to see someone get their domaining cherry popped ;)

•••
•••
•••
Thanks guys...

Thank you everyone!

It was a hand reg with exactly 2 days left before I would've had to renew it for the year! Perfect timing! I've sold a few names to end users that I have found and pitched but never the other way around. It was quite refreshing!

Again, thanks guys!

•••
Thank you everyone!

It was a hand reg with exactly 2 days left before I would've had to renew it for the year! Perfect timing! I've sold a few names to end users that I have found and pitched but never the other way around. It was quite refreshing!

Again, thanks guys!

So why did they buy it from you now when they could have just waited to see if you might drop it? Seems strange.

•••
I do say "congrats" but I'm not so excited here. I almost pity you. It all seemed so suspicious that I really don't know if you can celebrate orr not.

It was close to expiring. That's a red flag (why would he give you $xxx for an expiring domain? He saw the expiration in the whois!) As well, cold-call emails that promise you $xxx tend to end with the buyer pulling a payment-reversal & getting their money back. That's somewhat unlikely, since he gave you a counter offer, but on the other hand, the counter might have just been a ruse to make him look legit. And seeing it wa expiring might have resulted in him screwing with your thought-process -- that perhaps you were gonna drop it but saw a chance to make money from it instead..

Give it a few days before you start cheering sinew he might scam you outta money and the domain. Just a heads-up.

•••
Maybe I should elaborate...

I had this domain for 4 years and it was the name of my business. I was always going to renew it because the name is in use in few locations in the US and was hoping to sell it one day.

Hope I didn't get scammed!

•••
You were gonna renew. You knew that -- but that doesn't mean the buyer did. Again though, congrats but you shouldn't be excited just yet. Give it a few days. If I were you, I'd wait up to a week. If a payment reversal wasn't done by then, you could probably assume it won't happen. Then you can celebrate :)

Maybe I should elaborate...

I had this domain for 4 years and it was the name of my business. I was always going to renew it because the name is in use in few locations in the US and was hoping to sell it one day.

Hope I didn't get scammed!

•••
I have heard that in a payment dispute paypal sides with the recipient of the funds in the case of intangible goods. So if there is a dispute be sure to mention that it was a domain name.

However, I don't know how paypal will react if it's a credit card chargeback. With a CC chargeback it's entirely out of paypal's control.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back