IT.COM

.us Is .US aftermarket dead?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Just wondering, aside from the oddball sale here and there (mostly to end users and those too LLL.us)... .us seems to have almost no aftermarket.

I've been trying to sell some names for a month or so via NP/DNF/Etc but there has not even been a nibble. And the names I have are not bad at all (myAds, Croon, Casted etc).

So I'm just wondering... .us was always to be a second fiddle to .com but whereas even three word .coms are selling fine its tough to even sell single word .us.

Opinions welcome, just don't flame me for my observations.

Cheers!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
VirusDetails ... this is how I see your sig -

$x,xxx $x,xxx $x,xxx $x,xxx $x,xxx $x,xxx

LOL

•••
VirusDetails.com said:
And domainers buy from Domainers is not a good combination :)

You've hit the nail on the head. We've created a sub-market where the end-users are rarely the buyers for .us names. I mean, think of what you'd have to go through to explain to Mr. SmallBusinessOwner why Widgets.us (not my name) could be better for him than the name he already owns: joeandsonswidgetmakersinc.com.

Think of how you'd have to respond when he says "You want HOW much money for that name?! Hell, I got joeandsonswidgetmakersinc.com for only $9."

Those are HUGE obstacles to overcome.

But if they ever are, the sky's the limit.

•••
I posted this in the LLL.US sales thread a little while ago and I think it is relevant to this thread.

The question in the thread was "Why are people selling .US names?"

My response . . .

I think people are selling their names for a number of factors.

1. For almost 18 months, people have been hearing that the .US explosion is coming. It always seems that the next big push is around the corner - BUT WHY? What is going to give .US that big push? I am not seeing development on a large scale (or any scale for that matter) and that is the only way the extension will gain traction.

Sure we read about $XXXX offers for LLL.US being turned down. $XXXX offers for keywords being turned down. But I've learned to put only minimal stock in that "chatter."

2. In many ways, domainers may end up being the greatest hinderance to the success of .US. The fact is that most (all) large companies already have a strong .COM precense. .US success rests on small businesses and local entities (local sports teams, etc.) with smaller financial resources. IBM and Target are not going to be rolling out a large .US campaign anytime soon.

The problem is that domainers already hold all of the most desirable .US names and they are not going to let them go at at the true current market value is because they think the next big push is just around the corner.

Where does that leave small business, local companies, etc.? Instead of going with a one word .US because of the price, they are buying a two or three word .COM for reg fee.

3. Domainers are letting LLL.us go because of the decision to renew Neustar's contract. That was not good news for the future of .US. Another cycle of no promotion, no development, and little value.

4. Look at the talk other extensions are generating. .TV is all over TV right now. Hollywood.TV is on celebrity news cycle everynight. TNT.TV shows up everytime I turn on TNT. I could go on but I won't. There is nothing like that happening on the development side to promote .US.

Finally, I encourage anyone to look back over the 10-15 pages of posts in this thread. You will see post after post of speculation about when the next big .US price spike will happen. Really take 10 minutes to review this thread - I encourage everyone to do it. (This referred to the LLL.US thread)

I especially loved all of the posts on here earlier this year that .US would see a big surge in April 2007 when the original registrations began to drop. A lot of people seemed that think that a large supply of .US would drive up the value (that one never made sense to me - greater supply does not = greater prices).

I love .US. I think it is a great extension for small US businesses. I've still have a few LLL.US (yes, I am part of the problem with domainers) but I am not convinced we will see last year's prices anytime soon.

I hope the market DOES prove me wrong.

•••
mwzd said:
VirusDetails ... this is how I see your sig -

LOL

Thanks

I wish everyone else saw it like that also. :)

I've never been 1 to say that the next big push is around the corner but the money i've spent on .us is worth waitng to see, even if i lose everything (which i came into domaining prepeared for.)

But it just makes sense to hold on to as many as i can.

I mean whats a better Combination of letters then US ? There isn't 1.

•••
:hi:

D E A D :xf.love:

Last edited:
•••
When .com came out many years ago there was no market for them, ( some people wouldn’t even take them for free ) but those who had the foresight kept collecting them even when most experts were using .net , again when the market collapsed around 2000 nobody wanted three letter .coms even at three figure prices , but as we all know many smart people were collecting good domains during this period and now they all have become millionaires. If you wait till an extension is popular by then it will be too late to get any good domains, most people who have made it big have taken a gamble on an extension or a niche before it got popular.

So now the real question should be whether .US has the potential of ever becoming popular and if so the present market should not be a factor in investing in .US , the same way that it wasn’t a factor when smart domainers were investing in .com domains during the collapse of 2000.

So I believe that instead of focusing so much on the present market we need to find an answer to these two questions:

1- Do you think there is potential for .US of ever becoming popular.
2- How long do you think it will take for that to happen.

I personally believe that .US has the potential of gradually attracting the attention of a large segment of internet users both within the United States and abroad, my opinion is reinforced by the gradual increase of the type-ins that have been reported by many .US owners and by the new .US end-user websites that keep popping up here and there. I also believe that we are half way there as far as .US becoming a major player amongst already established extensions. It took five years to get so far and it might take a few more years before getting the big payoffs.

This is just my opinion, I am not trying to persuade anyone either way, anyone considering to invest in any extension should first educate themselves to the max and then must be willing and able to wait for that extension to mature. IMO

•••
domainica said:
Widgets.us (not my name)

Thanks for promoting my name ;)

•••
zouzas said:
but the "old boys" wont say in public their hand registering .US by the droves
ushealthplan.us hand reg in nov by buydomains i could list them A L L day long

their putting Y O U all to sleep, practice what we say ""only .com"" not what we quietly do register .us ..

Wow, thanks for the info.

So what you're essentially saying is people are being told to stay away from .US by the very same people buying up quietly?

So the .us am is not dead... just been put into a .coma :laugh:

•••
moondog said:
Thanks for promoting my name ;)

I do what I can. :hehe:

•••
TheBulldog said:
Shh, don't say that in the TV section. They will hand you some kool-aid and welcome you to the party.

Refuse the Kool-aid like they refuse to believe .TV can't get worse :imho:

•••
Some interesting stuff here. I too have held a number of .US since the 2002 land rush. I too have held out in favor of the potential "explosion". So far it hasnt happened on any large scale.

Like Zou says, read between the lines, follow the money (also a Schwartz mantra)

One client is testing the waters and offering up a few generic, one-worders in the upcoming auctions to see where the market really is. The key here is obviously to set your reserves so that you protect yourself.

Voyeur.us - slated into the Internext Live auction tomorrow

Check.us - slated for the DOMAINfest auction later this month

Bankers.us - also slated for DOMAINfest (thx Doc :)

It'll be interesting to see....

•••
Nice names Onspec,

Should do very well.

•••
zouzas said:

iv bought 4 last month and Hand register about 600 december few weeks ago .,,,

have 2 six figure offers, pending on a couple of mine in month of december. should be closing one of them this month next ,,,

a friend of mine "closed" mid 6 figures back in fall keyword .us ,,foreign company was the buyer,,,, it will be the foreigner buyers at first until the american companies finally wake up and realize the foreigners are getting the prime .us

I just want to be sure I read this right.

Are you saying you have received 2 offers for .US domains
and your friend sold 1 .US domain for over :$: 100,000?

Private sale or thru one of the marketplaces?

Thanks.

Patrick

•••
VirusDetails.com said:
Nice names Onspec,

Should do very well.

Here's hoping... :sold: $$$,$$$

•••
Voyeur.us - slated into the Internext Live auction tomorrow
Check.us - slated for the DOMAINfest auction later this month
Bankers.us - also slated for DOMAINfest (thx Doc :)

Very nice. Good luck!

•••

Last edited:
•••
So I just found one for sale. Worth it or not.

00L.US

zero zero L .US

•••
not. CCC.us have no inherent value.

ivnj said:
So I just found one for sale. Worth it or not.

00L.US

zero zero L .US

•••
•••
ivnj said:
it an letter L not 1.
Whatever it is, absolutely do not buy it. Even if it was offered for free - no no no.

•••
20 dollars on ebay. What's wrong the zeros. No brandability.

•••
zouzas said:
thats right ,,my friend closed few months back ,,

mine have not closed, both private.

these should have no influence on your own descision making,,,

Yes,but knowing that someone has paid six figures for a .US domain
changes the landscape.

If you have good keyword .US domains they are worth holding on to.

I am in New York.

There are areas here that years ago you wouldn't want to walk through.

Now you can't afford the rent since development and gentrification has
forced real estate values to soar...and rents along with it.

I believe the same will hold true for .US domains.

As more and more businesses start to use the .US extension selling a >US domain for six figures won't seem like such a big deal.

It's still in it's infancy.

It could explode anytime.

The best thing we could all do is develop one or more .US domains
and promote the hell out of them.
-------

QUOTE]Patrick McDermott is a cameraman who was a long time boyfriend of Olivia Newton-John until he disappeared from a fishing charter boat off San Pedro, California, on June 30, 2005. 48-year-old McDermott was a passenger on the fishing boat Freedom which had left from the San Pedro marina for an overnight fishing trip. Twenty-two passengers and three crew members onboard gave contradicting reports of whether he was actually on board or had left at the conclusion of the trip. His absence was apparently unnoticed until July 6 when he failed to attend a family event.

is this you :hi:[/QUOTE]

:notme:

The closest I ever got to Olivia Newton John was seeing her on the
big screen in the movie Grease.

Then again I could be lying. :hehe:

Patrick

•••
Just closed privateXstudentXloans.us (without the Xs of course) for 1k.

Aftermarket isn't completely dead.

tricolorro said:
Yes,but knowing that someone has paid six figures for a .US domain
changes the landscape.

Not quite 6 figures but VIDEO.US sold for 75k last year. Interestingly, it now shows:

Domain Name: VIDEO.US
Domain ID: D1769375-US
Sponsoring Registrar: REGISTRY REGISTRAR
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: pendingDelete

Looks like somebody got a nexus audit..

•••
Lasher said:
Domain Status: pendingDelete
$75k drop coming up!

Lasher said:
Audits going to hit dot in too imho, sometime soon.

There's a whole bunch of people out for blood.

•••
Lasher said:
I guess so. I remember when it was sold, I was wondering how the buyer did comply with nexus... money flushed down the toilet :yell:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back