Dynadot

Is this true?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Marc Riccio

Established Member
Impact
New guy here. I heard that if you do a name search and it is available and you do not buy it right away, some registrars will scoop it away from you. When you return, instead of $15, it now goes for $1500.

How do you pros search for new names?

If that is true, it makes me covfefe.

M

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have checked availability on probably hundreds of thousands of domains and haven't noticed any registrars doing that. I would imagine it would be possible, but I haven't seen that. I think that most liquid domains are already registered. Nowadays, its hard to hand register names that have immediate value.

•••
I have checked availability on probably hundreds of thousands of domains and haven't noticed any registrars doing that. I would imagine it would be possible, but I haven't seen that. I think that most liquid domains are already registered. Nowadays, its hard to hand register names that have immediate value.
Hey, like any other game, there are stories and rumours.

Since I am only getting into this as a hobby, I will only hand register and only .com.

Found a totally ignored niche market and will be registering a bunch of names real soon. Looking forward to the thrill of my first sale.

M

•••
Hey, like any other game, there are stories and rumours.

Since I am only getting into this as a hobby, I will only hand register and only .com.

Found a totally ignored niche market and will be registering a bunch of names real soon. Looking forward to the thrill of my first sale.

M
That's great. Read as much as you can before you buy them. Remember, hand registering domains that sell is an art that takes some knowledge. Not much has been ignored. I promise. If they are available, their is usually a reason. Don't let me stop you, just be sure you cover your bases.

•••

+1 That was exactly what I was thinking too.
No one will risk their reputation for handreg names.

Edit: some registrars use cached data and some domain may appear available but on buy or on checkout there is a message that domain is taken.

Last edited:
•••
New guy here. I heard that if you do a name search and it is available and you do not buy it right away, some registrars will scoop it away from you. When you return, instead of $15, it now goes for $1500.

How do you pros search for new names?

If that is true, it makes me covfefe.

M

I believe you may be referring to domain front running. I've personally had the same thing happen a few times with Godaddy.

•••
I now search names on whois ..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back