IT.COM

discuss Is this domain name investment viable?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jtmacqaq

Impact
Hello everyone, is domain name investment feasible? Like this:
Domain:LLL.com
Loan Amount:$20,000
Annual Percentage Rate:10%

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do you mean, take a loan of $20k at 10% interest to purchase an LLL.com? It would probably be a bad investment if it were garbage letters, but it would be a good price for a good 3-letter domain if the letters was good, therefore potentially worth taking that type of loan. It really depends on the exact name.

•••
What's the name though?
And how long is the loan period?

•••
Also, watch out for trademarks. It could be taken from you long before you receive a ''Congratulations'' purchase letter.

In any case I also wouldn't go for no loan.

Last edited:
•••
I would say if you need to take out a loan to "invest" especially in domain names which aren't known for being very liquid, it is probably something you shouldn't do.

I would only take out a loan if it was a killer 3-letter .com for $20k and that is the only way I could acquire it, but it would need to be a good enough name that I knew I would be able to sell it for a profit relatively quickly. Make the profit, pay the loan off, and be done with it.

If you are asking this question, you probably don't have enough experience to want to jump into something that could potentially be very risky.

•••
I would say if you need to take out a loan to "invest" especially in domain names which aren't known for being very liquid, it is probably something you shouldn't do.

I would only take out a loan if it was a killer 3-letter .com for $20k and that is the only way I could acquire it, but it would need to be a good enough name that I knew I would be able to sell it for a profit relatively quickly. Make the profit, pay the loan off, and be done with it.

If you are asking this question, you probably don't have enough experience to want to jump into something that could potentially be very risky.
domain name is zua.com

•••
Do you mean, take a loan of $20k at 10% interest to purchase an LLL.com? It would probably be a bad investment if it were garbage letters, but it would be a good price for a good 3-letter domain if the letters was good, therefore potentially worth taking that type of loan. It really depends on the exact name.
domain name is zua.com

•••
Try to use DNMask.com to prevent the name from being indexed; in case you win the lottery and acquire it; dont have people re-directed to this thread; Loan or no loan.

I wish you luck on your domain investing journey. —I gave your thread as many likes as i could, even though i would not get a loan to acquire this specific domain; I respect creative-minded people like you.

Last edited:
•••

This is solid advice...and I agree with @Samer above, I would not get a loan to buy the domain you indicate.

•••
If you had the money for the domain it is probably worth around $20k, but I don’t think that is a great steal or anything. I don’t think I would take a loan and pay interest to acquire it. Seems risky and it is not obvious that you would make a good profit in a short amount of time.

•••
If you had the money for the domain it is probably worth around $20k, but I don’t think that is a great steal or anything. I don’t think I would take a loan and pay interest to acquire it. Seems risky and it is not obvious that you would make a good profit in a short amount of time.
Yep, I came across this domain name and thought about venturing into mortgage loans. If the borrower fulfills the repayment obligations, I'll receive extra interest. However, if the borrower defaults, I'll have the opportunity to acquire this domain name for a sum of $20,000.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back