IT.COM

Is this a scam?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Raf

Established Member
Impact
I recieved an yesterday which went something like this, for security reasons I have taken the domain name which was in this e-mail.

Hi,

I was doing some searches and I saw you just registered
-------.info.

If you're interested in making money with your new domain,
check this out:

http://1million2006.com

access code: ---------

This is backed by an Inc500 listed company and globally
it's growing very quickly.

After you check out the "private screening" above (it's
very brief), reply and I'll show you how to use
-------.info with this to make a serious residual income.

I hope to talk to you soon,

Dawn Scholes

I haven't even used this domain name yet in terms of having it developed and etc. Has anyone else recieved this kind of e-mail? Post some of your replies here. :lol:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Scam. Reply with the correct access code, and they'll know that your email is active. Might as well wear a sign saying "spam me!". :D

•••
Oh okay, the access code is: dawnscholes1

Don't know really what this e-mail is for, but it seems to be directed at my .info domain I registered a while back.

•••
i got one of those a while ago

•••
What do you think the main purpose of such e-mails are for?

•••
Raf, perhaps I didn't make it clear. Anyway, these guys spam as many emails as they can; however, most email addresses are inactive (or spam-filtered so junk automatically goes to the trash). If you reply with the correct access code, then they will know that your particular email is accepting spam, and (more importantly) that someone is actually taking the time to read them. So your email address becomes a prime target for spam, and will probably be included in a list of email addresses for sale.

Don't respond to these types of offers. In fact, better if you don't respond to spam at all.

•••
Yep definately, I'm just asking to see what you guys think about this. Thanks again armstrong.

•••
Delete all your spams and have a High Filter

•••
Definately, if you guys know the e-mail then add it to your filter. But what surprises me is how did they get hold of my e-mail which I don't use at all?

•••
armstrong is correct! SPAM ALERT...Email Harverster on the prowl again.....Any email that ask for a response, especially marked urgent is yr cue!!

•••
Raf said:
Definately, if you guys know the e-mail then add it to your filter. But what surprises me is how did they get hold of my e-mail which I don't use at all?

Maybe they got it from your domain's whois data.

•••
armstrong said:
Maybe they got it from your domain's whois data.

Yeah, data mining from whois is vary popular for spammers... get a whois protector service like namecheap's set up. it helps. they are free right now with the transfer and reg of names.

•••
Alright cool, it's just very strange that I haven't done anything with this domain. That is why I bring this topic up, the name is the very easy to guess either or something you would think of.

•••
Although very silly on my part to ask this But
What if we give wrong email id in whois to protect?

•••
I got a few of those... god those people suck

superprogrammer said:
Although very silly on my part to ask this But
What if we give wrong email id in whois to protect?

Well, theoretically, ICANN requires all whois info to be perfectly acurate. In fact, not many people care... Hey, I did a whois on a domain some time ago and the owner turned out to be no other than Darth Vader from The Death Star sector 32
I laughed my *ss off then :lol:

•••
matrics said:
I got a few of those... god those people suck

Well, theoretically, ICANN requires all whois info to be perfectly acurate. In fact, not many people care... Hey, I did a whois on a domain some time ago and the owner turned out to be no other than Darth Vader from The Death Star sector 32
I laughed my *ss off then :lol:

8^X

That is funny...

Speaking of fake Whois data, when I paid 5K for Deleted.com and there were 4 others bidding to get the name, I didn't want to have them know who got it right away, so I put SnapNames' whois info on Deleted.com, and then I got an email from the register, DirectNIC, and they said if I don't change the whois, and fax them the prove of correct data, they would delete my vauable new domain! I quickly transfered it to my reseller account, at Birdiebiz.com, and they couldn't touch it there. :!: :tri:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back