IT.COM

Is There Any Statistics On HOW LONG IT TAKES, On Average, To SELL A DOMAIN NAME With Average Value

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

blue crystal

Established Member
Impact
This information would be useful when someone wants to know if he is getting good or bad results listing his domain names for selling as a premium, buy it now, offer/counter offer, etc. in a given domain selling site.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The average portfolio turnover is around 1-2% a year for quality .COM that are priced reasonably.

For less popular extensions or higher priced domains that percentage is going to scale down dramatically.

Brad

•••
The average portfolio turnover is around 1-2% a year for quality .COM that are priced reasonably.

For less popular extensions or higher priced domains that percentage is going to scale down dramatically.

Brad

Let me see if I interpret correctly this information.

Does it mean that if someone has 100 average domain names, he should expect to sell just one or two domain names per year ?

But, of course, if someone diminishes the price, he will increase the probability of selling.

•••
Let me see if I interpret correctly this information.

Does it mean that if someone has 100 average domain names, he should expect to sell just one or two domain names per year ?

But, of course, if someone diminishes the price, he will increase the probability of selling.

Pretty much. The turnover might be 0% if the domains are low quality or the prices are too high.
It is a sweet spot you find after a long time of doing this.

Brad

•••
Pretty much. The turnover might be 0% if the domains are low quality or the prices are too high.
It is a sweet spot you find after a long time of doing this.

So, it seems that domain name selling is a long game and also demands wide experience, good intuition, and good judgment.

•••
@blue crystal

Is There Any Statistics On HOW LONG IT TAKES, On Average, To SELL A DOMAIN NAME With Average Value

I think it depends a lot on the domain, and what do you call average value. If it's a crappy domain, it will probably never sell. If it's Category Defining Name, it would probably sell rather quickly if it is under-priced. If it's over-priced, it might also take a long time to sell.

I think your assumptions are way to broad, to draw any conclusions. If you could be specific with an example name and an example price. It might be easier to give you something other than a generic answer.

•••
i'll stick my chin out,tell me what you think,selling time and price.
-
economyfare.com $4995

•••
I think your assumptions are way to broad, to draw any conclusions. If you could be specific with an example name and an example price. It might be easier to give you something other than a generic answer.

Ok, here are two examples:

HugeIncentive.com priced at US$ 5000 ( Premium listing )

InnovativeApplication.com priced at US$ 1400 ( Premium listing )

•••
i'll stick my chin out,tell me what you think,selling time and price.
-
economyfare.com $4995

This is not an appraisal thread. But my guess is you would not sell this domain for this price in the next 2 years. Reduce the price to 1k, and you might have a chance of selling it in the next year. Reduce the price to $500 and you improve your chances of selling this domain in the next year.

•••
i got tired of playing yahtzee,so when i saw the thread i decided to butt in. but it is a pretty good expired pick up for $2.:xf.cool:

•••
Hi stub

I brought the examples you asked for:

What are your selling predictions on them ?

•••
Ok, here are two examples:

My reply would go along the same lines as that to @cabotower. This is not an appraisal thread. We are talking about the chances of selling a domain, at a given price, in a specific time frame. You would have approx the same chances of selling these domains at the same price points, as in my reply above.

We haven't yet talked about how hard you are going to work to sell these domains. Are you doing outbound sales, listing on which sales platforms, etc.

I hope I've got my point across. There are too many variables to be very specific. I am not going to reply to any more postings for commentary. These 3 examples, should be enough to get my point across. Price is always an important factor. The higher the price, the more difficulty you will have selling these types of 2 word domains. Unless you get lucky with somebody needing the exact domain.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@blue crystal - your replies to @bmugford above, tell me you understand the dynamics.

Yes, I understand the concept. But I have a feeling that only after some experience in selling domains will give me a more solid understanding.
Need to sleep, now.
Thank you to you all.

•••
I've been told it's 1-3% of the domains a year. but I've sold 25% of my domains in the last 8 months and I have 35.

It's all about quality.

•••
•••
I've been told it's 1-3% of the domains a year. but I've sold 25% of my domains in the last 8 months and I have 35.

It's all about quality.

.... and price :) If you get too greedy with prices. You will sell less domains.

•••
I agree 100% with @frank-germany!
10 years
or less
or more

Being serious though, as @stub says, there are many variables - the name of course, the price, how effectively you are selling it, how you respond to offers, etc. Even with that, it is small number statistics. Some names sell almost immediately, other decent names wait a long time for a reasonable offer.

While one can argue about any and all automated appraisals, I do like a lot the format of the presentation of data in NameWorth. Try a name (you are allowed 20 per month in the free plan) and read the 6 results to see what I am describing. For example for one of mine they give a retail price of $5250 to an end user who desires (i.e. approaches you with an immediate need for the name) and they estimate for this specific domain name there is an 18% chance it will sell in the next 20 years. For the same domain they give an InvestorLevel® price of $1210 (to an entrepreneur and investor) but now they estimate the probability of sale at 90% in the next 20 years. Still for that same name, they estimate if I simply wanted to almost certainly sell it right away and auctioned it the price would be $273, but 90% chance of selling in next 7 days. I think it demonstrates how much the time interweaves with the price.

Bob

•••
What most seem to forget is that on average a domain doesn't sell at all.

•••
I should add that NameWorth only give the 6 prices and associated probabilities for those that make it to one of their top tiers (about the top 14% of all domain names for sale). For others they just value at <$500. I should also mention that now I (think) it only does .com valuations. The developer has plans to extend that to at least .org and .net I think at some point, maybe others (I forget what he told me exactly). I mainly mentioned it here to point out that it explicitly relates the probability of sale and the price in a quantitative way I liked.
-Bob

(disclosure I have no association in any way with NameWorth)

•••
(disclosure I have no association in any way with NameWorth)

Hi Bob, So you don't work for nameworth, right.

p.s. It's a joke since some here said I was working for .best registry since I like dot-best domains a lot. LOL

•••
•••
This is not an appraisal thread. But my guess is you would not sell this domain for this price in the next 2 years. Reduce the price to 1k, and you might have a chance of selling it in the next year. Reduce the price to $500 and you improve your chances of selling this domain in the next year.
we were both off on the proper list value,me more than you.brandpa is going to list it for $2995.

•••
we were both off on the proper list value,me more than you.brandpa is going to list it for $2995.

As I said. This is not an appraisal thread. We were discussing the likelihood of "a domain" selling over what period of time. Price, of course will always be a factor in this. Too high, unlikely to ever sell, to too low, might sell easily within 1 year. Depending on the domain (of course). Because all domains are not equal. You cannot make hard 'n fast rules about this because there are too many variables to juggle.

Last edited:
•••

It's all about quality.

So you have sold about 9-12 names, depending if 35 is post or pre?

And what are your total proceeds from the sales and how many were end user?

And if you believe it is sustainable why don't you scale up?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back