IT.COM

Is there any advantage of Afternic lander over Dan lander?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Oranjoose

Impact
Correct me if any of my understanding is incorrect.

Both Afternic and Dan have the same commission structure now, both can be on the Afternic Fast Transfer Network (and therefore the same reach), and both have the GoDaddy name recognition.

However, Dan offers payment plans, better visitor stats (?), and a more attractive lander (subjectively), so why would anyone use an Afternic lander, or am I missing something?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For me, Dan landers never worked.

Beats me why.

Edit: If you are in the EU, Dan is a disadvantage as you will have to charge and pay VAT. I'm making sales without VAT through Afternic. And VAT is quite a lot, often > 20% here in the EU.

Edit 2: Oh, I forgot to mention the obvious, and most important one in my opinion:

Afternic landers have a phone you can call. This makes a lot of difference if you ask me.

They also show big GoDaddy logo instead of "Dan, a GoDaddy brand".

I can even visualize some people thinking "Who the hell is this guy Dan?"

Last edited:
•••
That was my experience as well. I had a couple of low offers, but no sales. Afternic was far more effective at producing sales and at higher prices.

•••
That was my experience as well. I had a couple of low offers, but no sales. Afternic was far more effective at producing sales and at higher prices.
I got plenty of lowball though at Dan, when I had the lack of inspiration to make min offers low.

And unpaid items mostly.

Some guys sell there alright though so it still beats me why.

Last edited:
•••
I got plenty of lowball though at Dan, when I had the lack of inspiration to make min offers low.

And unpaid items mostly.
Are you saying that you would get offers, but the potential buyers wouldn't pay up?
Afternic does seem to be generally reliable that once there is a sale offer, it will be completed.

•••

Beats me why.

Edit: If you are in the EU, Dan is a disadvantage as you will have to charge and pay VAT. I'm making sales without VAT through Afternic. And VAT is quite a lot, often > 20% here in the EU.

Edit 2: Oh, I forgot to mention the obvious, and most important one in my opinion:

Afternic landers have a phone you can call. This makes a lot of difference if you ask me.

They also show big GoDaddy logo instead of "Dan, a GoDaddy brand".

I can even visualize some people thinking "Who the hell is this guy Dan?"
I always said Dan needs to have a phone number on there.

•••
I always said Dan needs to have a phone number on there.
That is expensive. Means you need a significant broker team. And some callcenter tech to begin with.

Guess that is why they didn't do it.

•••
That is expensive.
I think that was before the acquisition when Dan was solo
But since "Dan is a GoDaddy brand", the same commission ...
I think they should add it.
Also, I noticed some folks are manually adding Godaddy's phone number in Dan's Lander in the description option.

•••
Also, I noticed some folks are manually adding Godaddy's phone number in Dan's Lander in the description option.
do you have an example of this?

•••
I came across some landers that are using this, but I can't remember the domain to provide an example.

•••
Do you know if GoDaddy customer support actually provides service for the DAN transactions? Would it be important to have checked with them first, to make certain that they will provide assistance with DAN rather than only direct Afternic and GoDaddy sales?

•••
that's what i was wondering. if the support wasn't there it would make the seller look like a sh**head.

•••
I came across some landers that are using this, but I can't remember the domain to provide an example.
i would like to see how it looks to a visitor.

•••
I have begun to write in the domain description that the domain can also be purchased at GoDaddy. It might do a difference to those (mostly U.S.) buyers who are not comfortable buying from a European company even if it is GoDaddy-owned.

•••

Beats me why.

Maybe Afternic has better SEO for end users searching for the domain in a search engine?

That is expensive. Means you need a significant broker team. And some callcenter tech to begin with.

Guess that is why they didn't do it.

Maybe Afternic's sales team helps get the end user to the finish line better than Dan's non-existent sales team?

Because on paper, Dan lander with Afternic marketplace BIN and fast transfer network should have the same reach as Afternic lander, right?

•••
Do you know if GoDaddy customer support actually provides service for the DAN transactions? Would it be important to have checked with them first, to make certain that they will provide assistance with DAN rather than only direct Afternic and GoDaddy sales
I've never used this or tried to call inquiring about the domain. I've just shared what I've seen on the landers.
But I think If that domain is also listed on Afternic the agent will handle it even if the domain is not parked with Afternic.

•••
I've never used this or tried to call inquiring about the domain. I've just shared what I've seen on the landers.
But I think If that domain is also listed on Afternic the agent will handle it even if the domain is not parked with Afternic.
So potential Dan buyers get redirected to Afternic using the telephone number? If the domain is also listed with Afternic, that might work. But if it isn't, would the domain be handed over to the AN brokerage services for further processing?

This still might help with the sales, but could that be confusing to the would-be buyer ?

•••
So potential Dan buyers get redirected to Afternic using the telephone number? If the domain is also listed with Afternic, that might work. But if it isn't, would the domain be handed over to the AN brokerage services for further processing?

This still might help with the sales, but could that be confusing to the would-be buyer ?
someone from gd/an/dan should weigh in on this. is this something they are comfortable with or is it frowned upon?

•••
But if it isn't, would the domain be handed over to the AN brokerage services for further processing?
I have no idea.

IMO, depends on the buyer, I think since there is "a GoDaddy brand" next to Dan's logo and if the domain is listed with GoDaddy/Afternic, with a good agent, it won't be confusing.
Again I've shared what I've seen on some Dan landers.
And As @cabotower said we need to hear something from them.

•••
someone from gd/an/dan should weigh in on this. is this something they are comfortable with or is it frowned upon?
Even if it is OK with DAN to do that, perhaps it would help to have a quick explanation on the lander about the telephone number being for Afternic instead of DAN?

•••
Dan was never in competition with afternic. They were aiming at sedo, until they were acquired by GD.

•••
Dan was never in competition with afternic. They were aiming at sedo, until they were acquired by GD.
So there really shouldn't be an issue with the sales being forwarded from DAN landers to Afternic telephone customer service?

•••
Both can be on the Afternic Fast Transfer Network (and therefore the same reach) ...
As far as I know, DAN doesn't support Fast Transfer yet. That's only available for Afternic DLS.
DLS stands for Domain Listing Service.

What DAN supports is: Afternic's Distribution Network. Which means, it'll show up when someone searches a domain name on a registrar that is within the Afternic's Distribution Network.

Whe you sell a domain on Dan, you'll still have to manually transfer the domain. On the other hand, if you properly set up Fast Transfer with Afternic DLS, the domain transfer will be instantly initiated by the Fast Transfer protocol without your intervention.

So basically you can be on a vaccation, turn off your email and phone, or even dead, and still receive the money in your bank account if your domain name is sold on Afternic.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong about this being not yet supported on DAN.

However, Dan offers payment plans, better visitor stats (?), and a more attractive lander (subjectively), so why would anyone use an Afternic lander, or am I missing something?

You may use DAN lander if you set pricing with BIN + Make Offer or only Make Offer. Because those will need your intervention anyway. Also, you may use DAN if you want to support Payment plans. However, use Afternic with properly activated Fast Transfer on your registrar (e.g. Dynadot) for BIN only listings.

•••

Both Afternic and Dan have the same commission structure now, both can be on the Afternic Fast Transfer Network (and therefore the same reach), and both have the GoDaddy name recognition.

https://domainnamewire.com/2023/02/27/where-to-sell-your-domains-dnw-podcast-426/
andrew did a great job of explaining all

•••
So there really shouldn't be an issue with the sales being forwarded from DAN landers to Afternic telephone customer service?

I dunno. Depends. I would prefer dan to handle support. They're good at what they do.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back