Dynadot

question Is there a parking service that supports https?

NameSilo
Watch

Dimitar Nestorov

Established Member
Impact
Google Chrome refuses to visit the new .app domains without https

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Undeveloped has a forced https option, I use it.

is this what you mean: Settings -> Host your for sales page on Undeveloped.com -> [Checkbox] Redirect your buyers to your internal marketplace for sales pages (By enabling this feature all traffic on your domains will be forwarded to SSL secure for sales pages hosted on Undeveloped.com)

it still does not work for me. i go on receiving "NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID" messages as i try to access via chrome or ff.

i've tried several methods with undeveloped; i guess it's not possible to make it accessible via Chrome etc.

•••
This Undeveloped option is for their own .com domain only.
It has no any relations to other domains.

•••
is this what you mean: Settings -> Host your for sales page on Undeveloped.com -> [Checkbox] Redirect your buyers to your internal marketplace for sales pages (By enabling this feature all traffic on your domains will be forwarded to SSL secure for sales pages hosted on Undeveloped.com)

it still does not work for me. i go on receiving "NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID" messages as i try to access via chrome or ff.

i've tried several methods with undeveloped; i guess it's not possible to make it accessible via Chrome etc.

Works for me in Chrome. I use it with no probs.

•••
Browser doesn't matter here.

SSL cert must be enabled per .app domain.
Then you may forward it to any destination address, regardless of what mode is used by that destination (http or httpS).

Last edited:
•••
You need to get a cheap hosting plan (unlimited domains) and add your domains to server. Add ssl to each domain and just redirect to undeveloped parking page.

Cost me like $4 / month using namecheap

•••
This costs $0 with 1and1.
FREE SSL cert per .app domain, you should only activate it and that's all.

•••
If you already have hosting you can get an SSL for free anyway. I just did one to test and it took less than 5 minutes and works fine.

•••
You could try to use cloudflare as DNS servers and create a redirect rule in your dashboard to your parking page. They'll provide you with a SSL. Should work in theory but haven't tested yet myself.

•••
This costs $0 with 1and1.
FREE SSL cert per .app domain, you should only activate it and that's all.

saw that free activation on 1&1, thanks. however, you must have your own hosting for your domains in order to redirect them to global parking services, right?

because 1&1 says "i give this free SSL cert only if you have a 1&1 website associated with this domain, or if you wish to install this cert to your own hosting environment."

•••
And again: you don't need to have any special hosting package with 1and1.
Just reg .app domain (FREE SSL cert included).
And URL/email forwarding is provided by 1and1 as well.

Last edited:
•••
Or transfer your .app to 1and1 for $12 (1 year will be added).
Google doesn't set 60 days lock, so only your registrar can reject this transfer (if their own policy).

Last edited:
•••
•••
When ordering at 1and1 - select "Domain only", this is enough.
Hosting plan is necessary only if you really want to run your websites/scripts at 1and1 servers.

•••
in order to redirect them to global parking services
If classic Google PPC monetization - forget about such redirects, this is prohibited by Google.
And was already discussed in this thread.

•••
Here is how to activate your SSL cert:

I could activate for "one and only one" (of several domains registered). As I try to activate for other domains, the interface forwards me to a generic paid SSL packages (shopping) page. I examined any single item in the interface, yet could not activated the SSL cert for the 2nd domain.

•••
Probably...
I can't confirm regarding multiple .app domains because I have regged the only one...

•••
You may try this...
Reg/transfer every .app domain into the separate contract/package...
95% that 1and1 provides 1 FREE SSL cert per each contract/package...
Because, for example, I have another contract where I keep some .ORG - and I activated SSL for it also.

Last edited:
•••
Left sidebar in your 1and1 panel, click: Contract and Product Overview
Then click yellow button CREATE ANOTHER CONTRACT - you will get empty contract (without domains).
Then click this contract (open it) - and reg/transfer your next .app domain into it.

Last edited:
•••
+ you may move your existent domains between your contracts...
So create as many contracts - as you want...
And then move every .app domain into its own contract...
So in this way you should get FREE SSL cert for all your .app domains.

•••
•••
I use DigitalOcean.com $5 per month, unlimited domains, unlimited SSLs. A few lines of code installs the SSL from LetsEncrypt. But then the site has to be configured.

I can see why this is impractical from a domain parking viewpoint.

I do park a few domains with @Donny and I'm not sure what's going to happen once the Chrome changes kick in.

•••
Here is described how to move the domains between your contracts:

thanks for detailed description.

by the way, i received a message from undeveloped:

Hi,
Google forces HTTPS even before the redirect in Chrome for .app domains. We're currently negotiating a deal to get SSL on more than 1M parked domains. Once we got a deal we can implement SSL on all landers to avoid this issue.
Kind regards,

I guess this issue will be resolved soon.

•••
Last edited:
•••
We've looked into supporting HTTPS across multiple domains but have not found any solution. If you guys find any way to do this, we will gladly try to implement it. It's definitely something we'd be very interested in doing.

We'd have to find a way to bind a signed SSL certificate to multiple domains. Not sure if it is possible. We can probably make the HTTPS semi-work, but you'll be given an alert in Chrome and other browsers that the SSL is not signed and have to agree to go forward to the parked page. In such a scenario, you'll lose most visitors thus it isn't ideal and the reason we haven't ever proceeded with such an implementation.

I will look into LetsEncrypt. First time I hear of them.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back