IT.COM

Is there a domain name glossary?

NameSilo
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Looking for a comprehensive resource with explanations not a 25-word listicle from medium.com so it ranks on Google. If it doesn't exist I'll create one in Microsoft Word. Just asking of anyone knows. Cheers. Yes I've looked on the Namepros search and couldn't find anything.

common domain terms

domain name words

domain name glossary

domaining glossary

domain name phrases

domain name dictionary

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
@biggie "how hard or how long did you really look?" 15 minutes. Why?

•••
@Future Sensors. I'm grateful for your help but that page doesn't contain a comprehensive dictionary of domain name words and explanations. It's a list of links to partial answers. I don't mind if the answer is no and @biggie I'm a hard worker so please don't think I'm being lazy.

Last edited:
•••
DNAcademy is a paid course, but it has glossary you can go back to anytime.
@Michael Cyger

Also, they provide tools like ZFBot free

it’s the only paid course i would recommend on domaining, beware of the new entrants looking to make a quick buck. Try DNAcademy

Last edited:
•••
There are more really good guides at https://www.google.com/search?q=domain+name+glossary

I agree with you that mentioned glossary on namePros is far from complete, but it's a good start and you can add new things in that thread to improve it. It's still active.

Personally I've never used such terminology overviews, and learn abbreviations from context in relevant threads and discussions, books, whitepapers, manpages, anywhere. I like to dig extremely deep in any technology field I enter. But that doesn't mean that an Updated, more comprehensive glossary --without the noise of replies-- would be "nice to have" in the Beginner section.

I assign this task to you.

Combine the best domain name glossaries you find on the Internet, for the benefit of all of us on namePros, and make sure the most comprehensive version on the Internet can only be found on this very forum. Good for traffic.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
@Future Sensors. I'm grateful for your help but that page doesn't contain a comprehensive dictionary of domain name words and explanations.
There is literally a domaining dictionary there;
https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-domaining-dictionary.744093/

Not to worry, often overlooked and practically impossible to find via NP search for whatever reason. It really should be the de-facto domaining glossary. And any member can contribute, so if you find it's missing something please add!

•••
•••
I'm still blazing the warpath that @Future Sensors sent me on. It really needs one day of sharp focus but with my workload it will probably end up getting done in drips and draps.

•••
@biggie "how hard or how long did you really look?" 15 minutes. Why?

Hi

why?

just comparing time invested in this search to how long you might search in google for those high volume keywords.

now you got folks recommending paid domain courses, personal website links, and other monotonous bull :poop:

and i'm sure, all of it has been previously posted on np.

it took many, a lot of years of doing, to learn from their experiences.
such terms that might fit in a book, were most likely created or evolved from inside domaining itself.
as the term, domaining, wasn't a term, until a collective started a board/forum to talk about it.

still, hope you got enough milk to drink now,
just don't try to swallow it all at once.

imo...

•••
@biggie "What we seek is some kind of compensation for what we put up with"

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back