Dynadot

fun Is Thanksgiving Day popular in your place?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

nicenic

Established Member
Impact
Though here in China not many of us will specially celebrate Thankgiving Day, but this morning in our office, we colleagues said Thank You to each other. It's nice!!

Will you do something special on this Thanksgiving Day?

Is Thanksgiving Day popular in your place?

Thank you, NPers!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well here in the USA...I'd say it's a top 3 meal during the year & one I look forward to eating every year....then of course a nice nap while watching the Cowboys play. It's a monster event in my family ...I enjoy it.

•••
not even a bit in eastern Europe :)

•••
Thanksgiving is a pretty big deal in my family as well. For me, it doesn't get much better than a day off from work that's dedicated to spending time with loved ones to [schmerk together and] consume an unhealthy amount of ridiculously tasty foods.

•••
Have no any events in Vietnam :(

•••
not even a bit in eastern Europe :)

True, not something that Eastern-Europeans celebrate or do something special on. Then again the geoboundaries are getting slimmer and slimmer with the advancement of technologies so many people choose to do something different on certain holidays, even though they are not really popular in their own country. Brightest example is Halloween.

Growing up in Bulgaria I knew about Halloween (and St Valentines Day for that matter) only from some cartoons and movies. The past few years more and more people are dressing up, making costume parties, there are such events in the bars and discos and last Halloween was the first time I actually some kids trick or treating door to door. I can't imagine they had much success with the candy as the older folks probably have no idea what these masked kids are and what do they have to do when they show up on their doorstep, but at least its a nice occasion to do something different. I have to say that there are still those that claim that we shouldn't bow down and rejoice other people's holidays, especially as they are not connected to our religion (Bulgaria is compiled mainly of Orthodox Christians and those are considered Catholic holidays) but all in all I think most are having fun with it and that's whats most important :)

•••
Nothing here in Europe, why should we celebrate or anyone else for that matter except the Americans?

•••
Yeah thanksgiving is huge for my family. We always go all out spending couple hundred on food and the women all love to cook it. This year I rented out a party room for my girlfriends family and brought them all together for her. Paid for some of them to even travel in for it so she could have a good holiday like she used to in the past when she was a kid. It's all about family coming together.

•••
Only place it was celebrated was on US Armed Forces bases in Okinawa, Japan as far as I know. Being away from American culture for a good part of my life, I forgot that there was even such a holiday. Christmas is big though, but celebrated with a cake and presents (new age with a small tree). Don't know where Japanese got the idea for cake... but I'll eat cake any day.

•••
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Portugal, in fact as far as I'm aware, nowhere in Europe either, however in recent years the UK which doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, has gone a bit crazy on Black Friday and are now copying that peculiar American tradition.
23910AEA00000578-2852835-Shoppers_scramble_to_pick_up_one-8_1417169462181.jpg

2390E80400000578-2852585-image-33_1417167658466.jpg

23910ADA00000578-2852585-More_customers_fight_over_discounted_televisions_at_the_Asda_sto-55_1417176337591.jpg

23912FC400000578-2852585-Leoni_Welsh_lies_underneath_the_popular_40in_television_in_Asda_-62_1417176418481.jpg

For lots more pictures and videos:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ash-thousands-start-hunt-Christmas-deals.html

•••
•••
•••
As one of my friends from the UK said today: "Bringing your children on a Black Friday raid means you don't deserve to have children at all". Be crazy and reckless all you want, but keep the young ones out of it.

•••
I'm in the UK. From my recollection, Black Friday has never been very widely publicised in previous years but it seems much bigger this year, most shops and retailers are getting in on it. I guess it'll only get bigger in future years.

•••
Black Friday isn't the same without a big turkey meal the day before. :)
Looks like this Cat was a bit greedy with his turkey
10408687_1189375854505083_8059725937366751360_n.jpg

•••
•••
What? You are not from USA and you are celebrating Thanksgiving?!?

•••
UK here :) No thanksgiving but people have gone a little crazy for black Friday.. I can not speak for the mass only speculate that like most countries, there is not much extra pennies in the pocket for most people at this time so any bargains especially just before Christmas are welcome.

•••
UK here :) No thanksgiving but people have gone a little crazy for black Friday.. I can not speak for the mass only speculate that like most countries, there is not much extra pennies in the pocket for most people at this time so any bargains especially just before Christmas are welcome.
Guess I am the only Canadian to post so far.. Yes we do celebrate Thanksgiving but on a different day usually in the middle of October...yes "Black Friday" is another tradition that crossed the USA/Canada border..

•••
In the Netherlands we don't celebrate it!

•••
I hope in the future, everywhere will be celebrate it and many many sales, deals :D

•••
Poland: no Thanksgiving. People here usually couldn't even tell when is Thanksgiving Day.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back