Domain Empire

advice Is it worth building a website?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Muhadresh

Established Member
Impact
Hi NPers,

I have used the search function here, but I could not find any thread.
So I have some shitty beginner domains and was asking myself, if it would be worth building a website and develop the domain a bit? Will this push a bad domain more it to a good direction? Or do you think that it is too much work for what I can ask for in the end?

Have a nice Weekend

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
no no no no no no and no

Just use already built & popular platform to enjoy your domaining adventure. No need own website.

•••
Being developed is the single best thing that can ever happen to a domain. It's like a puppy being adopted from the shelter and finding a loving home.

But if it's not a great domain, I wouldn't put the effort into building a site around it.

On that note, if it's not worthwhile for me/you to build a site on, why would an end-user want to build their site on it?

If you're unsure about using a name that you paid a low price for, it's much harder to find an end-user who will want to pay a premium price imo.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think it is possible to develop a website "a bit"

You have to commit 100% - keyword research, SEO, having great regular content, professional looking site that is optimized, Social Media /Engagement plan etc etc - it requires a lot of hard work otherwise no one will come and visit, if they do and it looks/reads crap, they wont come back again and you will not make any money from it and no one will want to buy a half baked site, unless it is for dirt cheap and that defeats the object

•••

You have to commit 100% - keyword research, SEO, having great regular content, professional looking site that is optimized, Social Media /Engagement plan etc etc - it requires a lot of hard work otherwise no one will come and visit, if they do and it looks/reads crap, they wont come back again and you will not make any money from it and no one will want to buy a half baked site, unless it is for dirt cheap and that defeats the object

I totally agree with that.

Hi NPers,

I have used the search function here, but I could not find any thread.
So I have some shitty beginner domains and was asking myself, if it would be worth building a website and develop the domain a bit? Will this push a bad domain more it to a good direction? Or do you think that it is too much work for what I can ask for in the end?

Have a nice Weekend

Shitty beginner domains, will remain shitty beginner domains, if nothing is done with them.
It will always be worth building a website around it, not a bit though , you do have to put in effort.

Its not easy, it requires time and effort to build a website.
Whether its too much work or not: YES it is. Unless you manage to make a brilliant one page site idea like the calm app guy did.

Yes it will definitely push a bad domain into a good direction, but at the end you need to be able to find buyers for what you have created. If you have shitty domains no one is willing to buy, its very unlikely you will be able to find buyers for shitty domains with shitty content. Of course if the content is good enough to draw good traffic, get good sales, and you have some strategy to sell something to visitors , then you would easily be able to find buyers, but then again the domain would be less of a concern and the content value would be much more.

So its purely up to you to decide.

I believe it saves time to drop unappealing domains and rather pursue domains with good value.
If you do have spare time after that, you can develop the domain website until you manage to find a buyer for your domain. Hopefully either others will find value in your domain and you will end up selling it (you can shift content to another like domain) or if you dont find a buyer for your domain, your investment in developing the domain might hopefully reap juicy fruits, and as such you can wait until you find a buyer, and keep developing it if you dont.

•••
Being developed is the single best thing that can ever happen to a domain. It's like a puppy being adopted from the shelter and finding a loving home.

But if it's not a great domain, I wouldn't put the effort into building a site around it.

On that note, if it's not worthwhile for me/you to build a site on, why would an end-user want to build their site on it?

If you're unsure about using a name that you paid a low price for, it's much harder to find an end-user who will want to pay a premium price imo.

Thx for you advise, it will help me out a lot

•••

So true. Maybe I have to take it more like a project. That way I can learn some.
Thx for your opinion.
Have a nice weekend

•••
I totally agree with that.

Shitty beginner domains, will remain shitty beginner domains, if nothing is done with them.
It will always be worth building a website around it, not a bit though , you do have to put in effort.

Its not easy, it requires time and effort to build a website.
Whether its too much work or not: YES it is. Unless you manage to make a brilliant one page site idea like the calm app guy did.

Yes it will definitely push a bad domain into a good direction, but at the end you need to be able to find buyers for what you have created. If you have shitty domains no one is willing to buy, its very unlikely you will be able to find buyers for shitty domains with shitty content. Of course if the content is good enough to draw good traffic, get good sales, and you have some strategy to sell something to visitors , then you would easily be able to find buyers, but then again the domain would be less of a concern and the content value would be much more.

So its purely up to you to decide.

I believe it saves time to drop unappealing domains and rather pursue domains with good value.
If you do have spare time after that, you can develop the domain website until you manage to find a buyer for your domain. Hopefully either others will find value in your domain and you will end up selling it (you can shift content to another like domain) or if you dont find a buyer for your domain, your investment in developing the domain might hopefully reap juicy fruits, and as such you can wait until you find a buyer, and keep developing it if you dont.

Thanks for your kind word. I think will develop it from time to time when I am free. That way I can learn some SEO. And meanwhile I concentrate on finding my own strategy on how to find decent domains and a niche where I feel comfortable.
Have a nice weekend

•••
Wordpress is becoming the "operating system" of the internet.

WP powers more sites on the internet than any other content management system.

Learn WP. It's FREE.

For a domainer to pivot into the development phase, WP is ideal.

Guess what I am doing??? :)

•••
Use WordPress or Zyro to build a quick website. I like both of them, one is CMS other one is website builder. I create landing pages in 5 minutes by adjusting the templates Zyro provides and it doesn't require much effort afterwards. They are responsive and help a ton with SEO. In that regard it doesn't require much time. With WordPress you might struggle a bit at first but depending on how much you want to customize your website, it's a good choice. It also will take some time to write content and get it out there, so if you want to seriously build a domain and website around it then the most time it will take is taking care of SEO and gathering audience. You can just create simple landing pages in 5 minutes though, that's a good start.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back