IT.COM

question Is it the “G”, “P”, “T” or the “Chat”?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

QUAD DOMAINS

Established Member
Impact
🤖 Before we get started, it’s only right you, the reader, be informed everything in this thread is human perspective. The bot is sitting on the sidelines for this one folks. Because the ChatGPT.com UDRP and GPT domains in general are being covered here, the human perspective disclaimer seems more than appropriate. (Be-bop-beep.)

📈 Informed or uninformed, most of us have at least a base-layer opinion about the future of GPT technology and GPT domain names. Some folks in the domain community believe GPT is a “fad”; while others believe we’ve yet to witness the explosive takeoff it’ll have. Regardless of either, quite a few GPT domains have been registered, and sold, thus far.

👨‍⚖️ On the eve of what appears to be a UDRP case related to ChatGPT.com, there are domainers already denouncing the idea registering GPT names was a good investment move. Some have even speculated OpenAi’s pending trademark will hurt the market for GPT domain name sales. We’d beg to differ because of one word though: chat.

🔮 Contrary to certain opinions, we have a hunch the ChatGPT.com UDRP is going to help propel GPT domain name relevance, and thus value, much higher. Especially for the domains that use acronyms and/or first-words relative to chat. Think along the lines of speak, advice, talk, call, teach, lol, atm etc. This is due to what we’d refer to as a “synonym caveat”.

🤹 Most of us know the ChatGPT.com UDRP outcome is a toss-up that’s to be determined. After all, human interpretation can end up being the most damning part of the proceedings due to those presiding being…..well human. This isn’t to discount their role. It’s merely to say “generic words”, “trademarks” and “bot-use” can get “tricky”.

🏆 Regardless of the UDRP outcome, GPT is becoming a mainstream way for the general public to acknowledge AI that learns and provides answers/results upon request. Dare we say GPT will make the dictionary’s new words list. (Move over NFT.) Because of this, domains that pair common words with GPT will find themselves serving as marketing tools etc.

📌 For the record, GPT domain relevance isn’t totally pegged to the technology itself. It’s also pegged to individuals and businesses seeking ways to convey their brand or endeavor is “tech-modern”. There’s no way to get around the fact we’re at a point in the digital era where tech-centric brands tend to resonate with consumers more.

🦾 We’ll conclude by saying GPT domains are here to stay. The ChatGPT.com situation will ultimately test the UDRP process; and there will always be comparable GPT domains in use whether the case itself is a win, lose or draw. This thread should age rather well; and we’re not saying this just because we have skin, or metal, in the game.

🙏 Thanks for reading. We invite you to share your thoughts.

🗣 Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GPT is a crappy acronym. No way around that. Since its pretty commonly understood allready companies will indeed use other real words for their brand in the GPT space.

Good way to go unnoticed is to cling to—in this case— an ugly keyword. Companies want brands that stand out. You won’t get that in a sea of GPT.

Those that are being sold imo some are being held for brand protection and seo value to bolster the brand they decide to go with. They are buying so competitors can’t. Some are buying to flip to a big fish.

I also would not be surprised if this acronym morphs into something else entirely as things evolve. Other words will become the “it” word.

The only constant or thing you can rely on with domains is constant change in the landscape. Your Nft comparison is a good example of a meteoric rise and fall in demand for a keyword.

Last edited:
•••
😂 @karmaco Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We definitely respect there are individuals like yourself that see GPT domains as being “crap”. We’re simply looking at things from the lens of society’s maturing familiarity with certain forms of technology and branding.

📏 In many respects, there are some things that just stick. Things like NFTs will be around for a while. Not just by name; but use-case. The thread was offering a counter-perspective to the idea “fleeting popularity is the only thing trendy domains can/should be measured by”.

⛵️ With everything stated, it’s worth citing that acronyms have a level of relevance with younger generations that many of us would’ve never thought years ago. In this age of social-media, it’s fair to say wind could stay in the sails of acronyms like GPT and NFT for a good while.

⌚️ Needless to say, we’re in the early phases of it all really. Who knows what curve balls trend, relevance and meaning might throw us. As of now, it seems GPT is becoming its own thing just like lol, wtf, lmao and others that have found their lasting relevance. We’ll see though.

🗣Mel
QUAD Domains

•••
😂 @karmaco Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We definitely respect there are individuals like yourself that see GPT domains as being “crap”. We’re simply looking at things from the lens of society’s maturing familiarity with certain forms of technology and branding.

📏 In many respects, there are some things that just stick. Things like NFTs will be around for a while. Not just by name; but use-case. The thread was offering a counter-perspective to the idea “fleeting popularity is the only thing trendy domains can/should be measured by”.

⛵️ With everything stated, it’s worth citing that acronyms have a level of relevance with younger generations that many of us would’ve never thought years ago. In this age of social-media, it’s fair to say wind could stay in the sails of acronyms like GPT and NFT for a good while.

⌚️ Needless to say, we’re in the early phases of it all really. Who knows what curve balls trend, relevance and meaning might throw us. As of now, it seems GPT is becoming its own thing just like lol, wtf, lmao and others that have found their lasting relevance. We’ll see though.

🗣Mel
QUAD Domains
Yes we don’t have a crystal ball 🔮 (dammit…lol) my comments were regarding domain names containing GPT being bought at high rates for longer term not if nft and gpt are here to stay as casual descriptive terms.

I do think Chat, an allready enormously popular word, has gotten an instant value boost as of late. Thats an evergreen word to begin with.

Last edited:
•••
GPT is a crappy acronym. No way around that. Since its pretty commonly understood allready companies will indeed use other real words for their brand in the GPT space.

Good way to go unnoticed is to cling to—in this case— an ugly keyword. Companies want brands that stand out. You won’t get that in a sea of GPT.

Those that are being sold imo some are being held for brand protection and seo value to bolster the brand they decide to go with. They are buying so competitors can’t. Some are buying to flip to a big fish.

I also would not be surprised if this acronym morphs into something else entirely as things evolve. Other words will become the “it” word.

The only constant or thing you can rely on with domains is constant change in the landscape. Your Nft comparison is a good example of a meteoric rise and fall in demand for a keyword.
GPT as keyword was found & introduced by openAI itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generative_pre-trained_transformer

So, clearly it will stick with that company.

I would never exclude that sth like shopGPT or betGPT couldn't make it to fame & success,
but only if openAI won't go against them...

for now, they go solely after chatgpt.com (as rumors go...).

•••
I disagree with Andreas. I think the company has a fair argument to get "ChatGPT" as a trademark, but probably not just "GPT" itself...

To be able to register a trademark in the U.S., the applicant has to show that the proposed trademark is in fact "distinctive" of their company. The more generic a term is in its field, whether to begin with (i.e., by not becoming distinctive in the first place...), or over time (i.e., by failing to maintain its distinctiveness), the less likely it is to be registerable. Such "distinctiveness" is notably harder to achieve and/or maintain for terms that are more generic/descriptive rather than truly unique.

In the case of "GPT," in the context of software (specifically A.I.), those letters -- particularly in that combination -- are understood to stand for things that refer to a kind of A.I. language model having certain characteristics, even though OpenAI was first to produce a (g)enerative (p)retrained (t)ransformer and they're still the most notable provider of such technologies. Hence, I don't think that particular trademark application should be granted.

•••
Getting a TM on GPT is not likely in my opinion. Transformers are a common architecture for machine learning these days and we're invented at Google Brain/Research. They can try to TM it but it's common in AI/ML generally. They did invent "GPT" on top of transformers, training and generative stuff and that is awesome. Further, they released the architecture out in the open. You are free to train your own. If you have the compute and expertise. Big money. And the training data, labeling, etc which is massive. The model weights, the result of training a GPT, is the magic sauce. It's really a dark art so they keep those closely guarded.

The invention of transformers was published in the famous Attention is All You Need paper. It changed everything.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1706.03762.pdf

•••
Not a lot new here. The same old conversation when something comes along that people want to bandwagon on and reg domains for.

Imho "ChatGPT" a fad thing that has become temporarily mainstream but most people probably don't care about the term "GPT" at all

In bing it's exposed as "bing chat" or something and most people are referring to this group of technologies as "AI" this... Or "AI" that, so where does chatgpt come in... When the media are banging on about it and that's about it.

Chatgpt.com own ai.com. I wouldn't be surprised if they change their name to that to have a bit more of a broad base appeal to the masses.

•••
If "PC" is used to refer to "personal computer," it cannot be trademarked privately. However, if "PC" is used to represent "Paul Care," it may be eligible for a trademark. Similarly, "GPT" is a newly coined term that specifically refers to a technology concept, much like "AI." Therefore, it should be permissible for public use. Please let me know if I have misunderstood anything.

•••
Back