IT.COM

question Is it possible to treat a domain sale as capital gains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
For any accountants here (from USA) or someone who has dealt with it, is it possible to qualify for capital gains tax (vs normal tax) for a domain name sale?

What proof would such qualification require to file it as such? The complication is that I happen to sell domain names. Regular domain name sales are automatically qualified as sales, and they are subject to higher taxes. But what if there is a domain name that wasn't part of this business? Additionally, I have not claimed this domain name as a purchase/expense or asset on my taxes at any point.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not from the US, but If buying and selling domain names is not your full time job, it will be capital gains.

•••
Upvote 0
My CPA qualifies my sales as capital gains. In this case, it’s advantageous to hold the assets for at least a year.

•••
Upvote 0
My CPA qualifies my sales as capital gains. In this case, it’s advantageous to hold the assets for at least a year.
But what are the requirements for that? We can put anything on taxes, but if there is an audit, how do you prove that it is capital gains?

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
But what are the requirements for that? We can put anything on taxes, but if there is an audit, how do you prove that it is capital gains?
The domains are not operating as a business but instead bought as an investment.

I don’t know all the rules which is why I hire a professional.

•••
Upvote 0
From ChatGPT.
And this is why you should have your own e-commerce website
1695178458417.png

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
Sorry, I should've specified I am referring to long-term capital gains.

•••
Upvote 0
I am referring to long-term capital gains.
Your accountant or tax professional should be able to help you classify them accordingly on your balance sheet so that they will qualify, but that should be done prior to them being sold, among other things. They’ll go over all of that with you. It’s straightforward.

•••
Upvote 1
•••
Upvote 0
Your accountant or tax professional should be able to help you classify them accordingly on your balance sheet so that they will qualify, but that should be done prior to them being sold, among other things. They’ll go over all of that with you. It’s straightforward.
:ROFL:
Buddy Cop Do Whats Right GIF by CBC

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back